First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Guest Omega Man

Ding ding. That is the crux of the argument, and the core of it all. Why indeed. The structures were always there. The invitation was always there.

We did and you know that very well. The rust in the back of my truck is there because of the laterite I karted around the mountain.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read through this entire thread and follow it throughout.

One thing that sticks in my head is a question: Is Tokai perhaps just not doomed from a mtb'ing persepctive.

Tokai to me appears to suffer from the same statist bull that the rest of the country is slowly creeping towards - the idea that big centralised bodies are best suited to curate over our assets.

And this will be SANPARKS' downfall. They make most of their money at Tokai from MTB'ing, yet they make it hardest for us to actually enjoy our time there. As if we're f***ing beholden to them! F*** it man. I don't know why anybody even bothers riding there.

How long will Tokai be viable for all the horsey and fauna people when the big moneyspinner takes his ball and goes to play elsewhere (because there are plenty of trails pooping up at spots where people actually see the value in us)? What then?

No more filled carparks. More muggings, more brake-ins. The scum will move in.

It's seriously starting to reach a point where I cannot fathom why anyone on this forum is willing to go through the waste of time that is working with government agencies. Seriously, if they don't "want" us there then why do we keep going back for more abuse?

Sorry, I know it's a rant that isn't contributing at all, and it's incoherent, but I just cannot actually fathom why anyone gives two craps when the people in control will go out of their way to make it impossible and since they have all the leverage they think we will just take it.

We did and you know that very well. The rust in the back of my truck is there because of the laterite I karted around the mountain.

Given the tone of this thread, why did you not try to come back when the invitation was always open?

Guest Omega Man

Given the tone of this thread, why did you not try to come back when the invitation was always open?

I don't want to be part of it the way it is now. It's not about the trails anymore it's about politics. And I'm not a fan of that.

With Steilte, My Alpine venture and my actual day job I also wouldn't have time to serve on a committee so I'm out of that anyway.

Going forward if the committee comes into being no matter who is elected I'll happily get involved in the volunteer days and give money towards the cause. But only as a volunteer. No leadership role for me. And no laterite on my bakkie. And I'll only give money to the cause if no one on the committee derives an income from their position on the committee.

I'd probably revise that last statement after I see the 2013 Financials as I think the Sanparks go between person is probably very close to a full time job. But my financial contribution would be tiny anyway.

Just BTW my nominations are as follows. Vince, Deon, Jason Lind, Dan Dobinson. I only have 4.

I wouldn't nominate Duran cos I love that kid and would want him to be one of the professional trail builders. Rika doesn't want to be on a committee. Neither does Richard or Johno.

Edited by Omega Man

I go cos of the view and fresh air and because any other place is at least a 90km round trip by car

So anyway. I see the main kahuna is out, but I'll still be having a drink tonight at Jakes. Anyone is welcome to come and meet the faceless horror of huck building, fynbos munching, rabid DH riders (and friends) You and I can get a private table and even candles if you don't want to be near Vince and Duane.

Also, mikethebike, if you're keen on taming the troll under the bridge, let me know.

who can vote ? anyone ? or a paid up card carrying member of tokai club ?

Hi Terry,

Why not join tonight and/or 18th? Can come through to my place then we joyride together from there if that'll help or make it easier / more convenient for you. I'm convinced you'll be a good guy to have there.

So anyway. I see the main kahuna is out, but I'll still be having a drink tonight at Jakes. Anyone is welcome to come and meet the faceless horror of huck building, fynbos munching, rabid DH riders (and friends) You and I can get a private table and even candles if you don't want to be near Vince and Duane.

Also, mikethebike, if you're keen on taming the troll under the bridge, let me know.

Slightly off topic, but Rika, one day when I grow up I want to be able to ride a bike like you :blush:

I have read through this entire thread and follow it throughout.

One thing that sticks in my head is a question: Is Tokai perhaps just not doomed from a mtb'ing persepctive.

Tokai to me appears to suffer from the same statist bull that the rest of the country is slowly creeping towards - the idea that big centralised bodies are best suited to curate over our assets.

And this will be SANPARKS' downfall. They make most of their money at Tokai from MTB'ing, yet they make it hardest for us to actually enjoy our time there. As if we're f***ing beholden to them! F*** it man. I don't know why anybody even bothers riding there.

How long will Tokai be viable for all the horsey and fauna people when the big moneyspinner takes his ball and goes to play elsewhere (because there are plenty of trails pooping up at spots where people actually see the value in us)? What then?

No more filled carparks. More muggings, more brake-ins. The scum will move in.

It's seriously starting to reach a point where I cannot fathom why anyone on this forum is willing to go through the waste of time that is working with government agencies. Seriously, if they don't "want" us there then why do we keep going back for more abuse?

Sorry, I know it's a rant that isn't contributing at all, and it's incoherent, but I just cannot actually fathom why anyone gives two craps when the people in control will go out of their way to make it impossible and since they have all the leverage they think we will just take it.

SANPARKS is there to protect our natural heritage for the use and enjoyment of all citizens. They have to balance competing demands of many different interest groups. By way of example, the Western Cape is internationally known as a Floral Kingdom. This is worth protecting in its own right, but has the added benefit of drawing worldwide interest and tourist money to the Western Cape as a whole. The fact that we can ride in Tokai, within certain guidelines, is something to be grateful for. I for one have no problem if a super-flowy, non-pedally DH line is lost if a plant, previously thought extinct, can re-establish itself. As this thread has shown, the regulations and guidelines are there to protect our national assets against the unauthorised actions of the puerile and the petulant.

Oohhhh. candle lit dinner with Trillian. Gonna be more than twenty going now:-)

Especially if she hands out riding tips. I know I could use a few... And she damn near whips me into oblivion.

Let me get this rite, I can vote ? I have never been to Tokai, never met anyone on this thread (ok maybe one or two, or three). And I can still vote? And I can still do this via proxy ? In the words of the old US Army blokes this is a right royal cluster bomb<insert foul language>.

Will I be allowed to used Hub names or do I have to find out real names ?

I think since this is happening in the real world, the nominations have to be real too. Not only real names, but also contact details. To keep it decent I would recommend that we don't bus in voters that have never been to Tokai. Nothing against you, Slowbee, but as you said, lets avoid turning this into any larger of a cluster$#!& than it already is.

Guest Omega Man

Especially if she hands out riding tips. I know I could use a few... And she damn near whips me into oblivion.

There I fixed it for you. lol. But don't feel bad. I'm there too.

Edited by Omega Man