First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Thats not a coupe, thats a mini hatchback. Toyota GT86 is a coupe.

Looks like a clown car.

Maybe we can squeeze all the nominees inside :ph34r:

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a clown car.

Maybe we can squeeze all the nominees inside :ph34r:

LOL. Of the nominees (that I know of) there are only 2 of "average" height. That'd be a fun exercise...

Now onto to totally different matters. For the record.

this is a coupe

this is a coup

:D The 1st post in this thread I found funny, thanks, I really needed a laugh today! :D

I've been dying to do the coupe/coup thing for so many pages now. I chickened out.

that's spelt totally different. Pretty sure I could try stretch this thread into some metaphors that would suit this pic. cluck cluck cluck!

http://maxcdn.thewhoot.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/chicken.jpg

From here on everything said by me, is strictly aimed at moving forward, so please do not apply any of it to how we got to this point, rather to where we are going from here. Duane, I've used your report as a base to start responding, please read carefully, I wrote carefully.

• I do think we are in agreement that Tokai needs to become a better mountain biking facility. Yes, we all have been saying it for the past 10 years or more and we all have already done lots to prove our commitment to achieve that.
  • I do think TokaiMTB could us the help of some clearly passionate people. Yes, sometimes perhaps too much passion and not enough thinking , talking and listening especially, the last 3 need to be touched up on all sides.
  • I do think that even within the constraints of sanparks and the current trail system there can be improvements. Yes, but if we do it the right way with Parks and follow the right process, we can get something a LOT better, not just mere short term improvements to what we have, but long term stability and control over our trails.
  • I do think that Deon forms an important part of the process. He has the good working relationship with Parks and can drive the EMP/ Ratification/negotiation process better than anyone else I can think of. What he doesn't need is to be made the scapegoat the moment the process get tough.
  • I do think the AGM is a huge step in the right direction Yes, democracy rules
  • There is budget for maintenance. Maintenance only? or money to get an outside contractor to build new trails? This is critical for success, so it better be a pretty firm commitment from whoever the donor is or we'll be stuck before we start.
  • I am positive about the future of the trails Yes, if the committee can work together, without that I foresee another blow up in a year or 2 when someone gets unhappy enough to start the fight from scratch.
  • It's not a coupe. If anything it's the legitimization of TokaiMTB I still think the interpersonal wranglings are more akin to a coup, but smell more like a coop (sorry, couldn't help myself).
  • We never said anything about turning Tokai into Whistler. Right, don't be too touchy about that one, I think most people understand that gravity guys also need trails to ride (when they get older ;) )Your commitment to ensuring trails that beginners and families can ride is noted.
  • We never meant this as a diss to the volunteers. It hurts my heart that I've offended guys and girls that have given their most precious asset to the cause of mountain biking. Their time. And guys you know. We've sweated (and got sopping wet) right alongside you. Yes, we have all toiled together. Long term, and this should be the view, the volunteers will make Tokai work, because they will be the ones taking ownership of the place, who will defend it and ensure its survival. They will also be the ones to keep the Tokai MTB committee in line and ensure they do what is best for the place.
  • Regarding our other project across the bay. That relationship has not soured. The plan is to build a gravity orientated bikepark. consisting of Enduro trails, DH trails , Skills area and some jumps. Andrew Neethling is going to advise on a signature track. The other land owners are on board. It's moving forward. Building has slowed because of Summer. Yes and I wish you well with that, from what I understand it is more suited to downhill than Tokai.
  • We aren't actively electioneering. We think it's pointless. We only know about 100 people who ride and they will have already made their minds up by now anyway. Sorry, electioneering is all this ever was, nothing wrong with it though, there is an election coming up at the AGM in case someone missed it.
  • It's not just 6 disgruntled downhillers that are unhappy about the trails. Granted, if you accept that there are also many people that enjoy riding it and think Deon did an admirable job under near intolerable conditions.

I'll see you all on the 18th.

Guest Omega Man

DJR. I really wish I had your tact, levelheadedness, balance. I'm not sure what the correct words are but I think that's the best comment I've read on here. Thanks for that. You are a true gentleman.

Anyone that can count you a friend is a fortunate person.

Edited by Omega Man

DJR. I really wish I had your tact, levelheadedness, balance. I'm not sure what the correct words are but I think that's the best comment I've read on here. Thanks for that. You are a true gentleman.

+1

I think it comes from years and years of having his fingers inside people's jaws. One mis-step and SNAP!

Some more thoughts on last nights meeting (again, keep the future in mind):

1. I can tell you that both camps have very similar neutral people in mind for the nomination process. Again more common ground. I won't name names because that process runs in private through Amarider

2. I worry that if the main antagonists end up on the committee together, their baggage will impair the functioning of the committee. However, both have ensured me that they will let bygones be bygones (perhaps they are better people than I am, I would have struggled with this part :blush: )

3. I think the chair should be a pretty strong but neutral personality respected by all sides and he should be able to manhandle the committee into working together if needed and sort bull**** out before it gets to the fan.

4. Both sides agree on the need to bring an outside contractor in to build the new trails, Bennet, of Jonkershoek fame, is mentioned by both sides. Again, common ground.

5. I'm still unclear over who should be doing the day to day maintenance of the existing trails and the new trails once they are built. Volunteer work once a month cannot achieve what is needed, not with the huge numbers of riders going through Tokai, currently estimated at 1200 on Saturday, 1200 on Sunday and 1200 for the rest of the week. No wonder the trails cannot withstand the onslaught. No other trail system in the Cape has to contend with even remotely these numbers. I think a small local semi permanent crew is needed, especially in winter, to fix wash-aways, remove fallen trees and so on.

6. Everybody say they understand the complexity of building trails in a National Park, but I get the distinct feeling that very few people actually do. The information is this regard is often conflicting and lots of half-truths, guesswork and hearsay make it near impossible to form an accurate picture of the process. People then get angry because they perceive either Parks or TokaMTB to be at fault, or they think they can make a tortoise go like a hare if they tried it themselves. Parks is an organization that moves so slowly and cautiously, progress is sometimes imperceptible. I would love someone who really knows his stuff to give a 5 minute talk at the AGM to explain to everyone present, at the same time, so they can hear the same thing, in simple terms, exactly what the Tokai process involves and how it works.

I would like to hear more comments, especially on how others feel we should proceed

Some more thoughts on last nights meeting (again, keep the future in mind):

1. I can tell you that both camps have very similar neutral people in mind for the nomination process. Again more common ground. I won't name names because that process runs in private through Amarider

2. I worry that if the main antagonists end up on the committee together, their baggage will impair the functioning of the committee. However, both have ensured me that they will let bygones be bygones (perhaps they are better people than I am, I would have struggled with this part :blush: )

3. I think the chair should be a pretty strong but neutral personality respected by all sides and he should be able to manhandle the committee into working together if needed and sort bull**** out before it gets to the fan.

4. Both sides agree on the need to bring an outside contractor in to build the new trails, Bennet, of Jonkershoek fame, is mentioned by both sides. Again, common ground.

5. I'm still unclear over who should be doing the day to day maintenance of the existing trails and the new trails once they are built. Volunteer work once a month cannot achieve what is needed, not with the huge numbers of riders going through Tokai, currently estimated at 1200 on Saturday, 1200 on Sunday and 1200 for the rest of the week. No wonder the trails cannot withstand the onslaught. No other trail system in the Cape has to contend with even remotely these numbers. I think a small local semi permanent crew is needed, especially in winter, to fix wash-aways, remove fallen trees and so on.

6. Everybody say they understand the complexity of building trails in a National Park, but I get the distinct feeling that very few people actually do. The information is this regard is often conflicting and lots of half-truths, guesswork and hearsay make it near impossible to form an accurate picture of the process. People then get angry because they perceive either Parks or TokaMTB to be at fault, or they think they can make a tortoise go like a hare if they tried it themselves. Parks is an organization that moves so slowly and cautiously, progress is sometimes imperceptible. I would love someone who really knows his stuff to give a 5 minute talk at the AGM to explain to everyone present, at the same time, so they can hear the same thing, in simple terms, exactly what the Tokai process involves and how it works.

I would like to hear more comments, especially on how others feel we should proceed

Exactly the same way I feel, DJR. And IMO not nearly enough attention has been paid to your final point. The stakeholder. Who, ultimately, determines the final pace and / or nature of any trail work. New or maintenance.

What is happening on Facebook? Myles has been banned for posting what we are in agreement is a summary of the chain of events.

Are we not all owed an explanation from Vince as to what is untrue?

Exactly the same way I feel, DJR. And IMO not nearly enough attention has been paid to your final point. The stakeholder. Who, ultimately, determines the final pace and / or nature of any trail work. New or maintenance.

Would it be worth getting someone from Sanparks to give a quick talk at the AGM?

What is happening on Facebook? Myles has been banned for posting what we are in agreement is a summary of the chain of events.

If people are truly honest in their willingness to work together and get things done then things like that need to be reversed. All it will do is breed distrust.

If people are truly honest in their willingness to work together and get things done then things like that need to be reversed. All it will do is breed distrust.

AFAIK he was added back to Tokai Trail Builders Association yesterday already.