Coronation Double Century 2014

GaryvdM

last year was R6000

ok, saw someone posted R4500 in the thread. but either way getting sold out so quickly means they could really bump it up and still fill the field. suppose it becoming a bit corporate will do that.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it may be time and support to create a second team event in the Western Cape, fewer teams, no reverse start no breaks along the way and back up vehicles allowed for the entire route. Could be done in late Sept. Only the top 100 teams from DC can apply, this way not too large a gap on the roads.

Maybe a 225km event with a night pass like bains..

I say allow the top 8 teams backup for wheels, etc. The rest of the guys do not really car/need backup because they use the feed-zones as their stop.

I do understand why they stopped the backup vehicles cause the problem with the social teams is that sister/mom/wife drives the backup vehicle, no sense of timing and the lack of ability to drive where a lot of cyclist are present. Had a few cases where the driver just swerve in front of you or hit the brakes because they get a bit of a scare.

as the price increases we can clearly see the DC is no longer about the racing, rather the corporates... not so?

so it really doesn't phase them if there are only 8-10 racing teams who's going to bitch about not having backup vehicles, and longer feed zones....

my opinion of course....

as the price increases we can clearly see the DC is no longer about the racing, rather the corporates... not so?

so it really doesn't phase them if there are only 8-10 racing teams who's going to bitch about not having backup vehicles, and longer feed zones....

my opinion of course....

To be fair, it never really was about the racing. It's like the Argus - another mass participation event that your average Joe can do and test himself against.

While I like going fast, I'm not a racer - I'm a weekend warrior that loves riding my bike.

Let's not lose perspective.

I've always stayed in the hostel at Swellendam Hoer Skool.

I tried getting hold of them, but doubt there'll be place, its literally a km out from start and finish.

I'd also always stay at that school :devil:

To be fair, it never really was about the racing. It's like the Argus - another mass participation event that your average Joe can do and test himself against.

While I like going fast, I'm not a racer - I'm a weekend warrior that loves riding my bike.

Let's not lose perspective.

True, but part of the draw of the event for the weekend warrior is the challenge. The one tonner is a tougher race now than the DC, as there are no breaks in it.

Ag, does not really matter, still a viab. Just have to adjust goals and makes it difficult to compare to previous years.

Think almost half of the field race, some teams gunning for podium, some race for sub 6 and some race for sub 7. All depends what you "race" for, my finding is that your most competitive teams are the ones in the 6 hr mark. Very serious, months of planning nutrition, team rides, accurate timing, someone timing their stops, etc.

True, but part of the draw of the event for the weekend warrior is the challenge. The one tonner is a tougher race now than the DC, as there are no breaks in it. Ag, does not really matter, still a viab. Just have to adjust goals and makes it difficult to compare to previous years.

Any bike ride is as tough as you make it. But I do agree, it becomes difficult to compare times across years. Then again, you're never racing previous years, you're racing the people around you.

Think almost half of the field race, some teams gunning for podium, some race for sub 6 and some race for sub 7. All depends what you "race" for, my finding is that your most competitive teams are the ones in the 6 hr mark. Very serious, months of planning nutrition, team rides, accurate timing, someone timing their stops, etc.

Exactly - we're "racers", not racers. And we're not even serious "racers" - what is this team rides thing you talk of?

DC is about man management - telling the strong ones they are riding like stars and keeping them happy and convincing the weak ones that they are riding like stars (just suck that wheel and don't leave a gap). keeping your mouth shut when one of your team rides like a d**s.

Any bike ride is as tough as you make it. But I do agree, it becomes difficult to compare times across years. Then again, you're never racing previous years, you're racing the people around you.

Exactly - we're "racers", not racers. And we're not even serious "racers" - what is this team rides thing you talk of?

:thumbup: Great guy who posted it but this confirms my statements...

post-949-0-87848000-1406874522_thumb.jpg

True, but part of the draw of the event for the weekend warrior is the challenge. The one tonner is a tougher race now than the DC, as there are no breaks in it.

no its not.

one tonner you can sit in a bunch of 50 riders and never do a single turn up front and still get a reasonable time. and its 40km shorter

DC its just 12 of you rotating the whole way

No it is not.

One tonner is 160km with no timed breaks inbetween. The DC is now 200km broken down into three sprints with two 30 minute intervals inbetween.

Many teams who did the DC used the one tonner as training and rode rotating 12 the 'whole way'. Last year we did the DC and dropped 2 riders by half way. They then got back on at the stop and rode the rest of the way with the team. The new strategy for the DC is to ride until you blow, coast to the next stop within 30 minutes of your team and then go again, no such luxury if you ride the One Tonner as a team event (we did this last year, riding as 12 the whole way, no place to drop anyone as no stop to regroup)

No it is not.

One tonner is 160km with no timed breaks inbetween. The DC is now 200km broken down into three sprints with two 30 minute intervals inbetween.

Many teams who did the DC used the one tonner as training and rode rotating 12 the 'whole way'. Last year we did the DC and dropped 2 riders by half way. They then got back on at the stop and rode the rest of the way with the team. The new strategy for the DC is to ride until you blow, coast to the next stop within 30 minutes of your team and then go again, no such luxury if you ride the One Tonner as a team event (we did this last year, riding as 12 the whole way, no place to drop anyone as no stop to regroup)

Agreed, having a two breaks allows teams to get back together and then go off again together with a full team. Even if the guys are blown, they can still pull for 10-15mkm while stronger riders rest.

160km non stop is harder than 200km with two breaks. You can wheel suck and get pushed around the dc in an easy time as well so the bunches make no difference.

Just out of interest, is the 2nd stop being handled like the first? Compulsory stop and time being stopped?

I am doing it for the 5th/6th time - can't care really - but there has definitely been a pro/con decision made with every single change in the race. My personal view is; have a team scooter following the team for assistance with mechanicals, etc. Back-up vehicles wait at the Stops for feeding. I made that suggestion two years ago - guess my suggestion fell on deaf ears.