BMI ... more like BS Measurment

Izak

You guys are all fat stop making excuses :whistling:

My buddy who is also with discovery is 1.9m something tall and weights over 100kg with less than 10% body fat. He was denied gold status because according to his BMI he was considered obese. He was furious and rightly so

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How'd they deny him gold? If he had the points he had the points. I weighed 109 at my assessment I think. Gave me a bmi of about 28 or 29 and I still got to gold.

How'd they deny him gold? If he had the points he had the points. I weighed 109 at my assessment I think. Gave me a bmi of about 28 or 29 and I still got to gold.

I think it was more a case of he could not get that extra points to make it to gold because of his BMI (sorry correct me if I'm wrong)

I also got to gold fairly easy actually almost making double the required points last year with a "Overweight - Obese" BMI.

So yes they can go jump!! Bloody agents :ph34r:

I cannot understand why companies such as discovery still utlises the normal weight vs. heigh BMI measurements to see whether you are in shape or not?

Maybe one of you can put shed more light on this for me.

I am 1.8m tall and weigh 86kg at the moment (I am still going down) but even now people are starting to tell me to seriously stop now as I am starting to look funny.

Even if I go down to 80 kg I will still be classed as overweight!!

I have always been quite muscular and therefore I feel that it is a bull**** way of measuring and they should wake the f up.

Maybe I'm clueless but please tell me why and how and I will gladly accept my "overweight" status!!!!

Attached pic is of me in November 2013 I have since lost another+-3 kg still classed as fat....

Not sure if serious? Maybe it was just a bad selfie

Because you miss out on 2500 bonus points if you are outside of the 'acceptable' range. Probably missed gold by that amount...

Also 1.84 tall, 85kg and just outside of the acceptable BMI range...

Not sure if serious? Maybe it was just a bad selfie

Eish not what I meant, I meant I grew up on a farm in the karoo with hard physical work so my muscle ratio was always higher than your average playstation strangling kid ;) Also have always been very involved with sport..

Oh and not even a trained tog can take good pics of me so a selfie was a very brave thing for me to attempt ... I went straight to the shower and cried for hours afterwards.... :eek:

Edited by Izak

Agreed it complete BS , I am 1.72, 67kg, 74cm waist 9% body fat , but according to Discovery I on the wrong side of the BMI chart !

So effectively they are prompting me to pursue bulimia I guess to get within their acceptable range !

And why nobody complaining that it got 25% harder to maitian your status this year !?

If you were working the system already , then the only way to get more points is to spend more money with medical practitioners..

Discovery is BS , I am on Diamond and busy closing all my policies, life, health, credit card etc..

hi guys

im 1,78 m tall and 76KG, when i put on my race face for a serious event I drop down to 72KG....

Just ride more eat less.

No dude...

Ok absolutely no disrespect or anything bad meant, but do you look a bit like a plank then?

You guys are all fat stop making excuses :whistling:

My buddy who is also with discovery is 1.9m something tall and weights over 100kg with less than 10% body fat. He was denied gold status because according to his BMI he was considered obese. He was furious and rightly so

I doubt he got excluded from Gold because of his weight. Gold is allocated when you, as a couple, get to 90,000 points.

BMI is not rocket science.

It is a measure of body fat based on a global sample based on your height. Because we are all different, it works in a range, normal is classified as being between 19-25.

To work out what your BMI is divide your weight in kg (OP 83kg) by the square of your height in metres (OP is 1.8 so this number is 3.24) which gives a BMI of 25.61, not a train smash. But will definitely be felt towards the top of any climb.

81kg is the upper limit target, not unreasonable if you consider how much fat OP is still packing on his love handles.

Medically there is irrefutable proof of a link between excess body fat and ill health. And factually, the majority of the male population who above 25 are packing excess comfort on the love handles.