2014 Dischem ride for sight.

Jeri

Overall it was a good day on the bike, managed to hold on to the front bunch of AL. Well done to the guy that won it, he seriously put the hammer down just after Carnival City where there was also quite a big crash shortly after his attack (not caused by him tho).

Well done to our marshals, we had a bakkie and a bike with us the whole way.

The only complaint I have is those frikkin cones, it was a hair raising first few kms and an even more frightening last few kms whilst trying to dodge the shorter distance riders and cones!! Glad I got finished in one piece. To those that crashed, hope you heal up quickly!!

We'll do it all over again on Sunday at Carnival.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the top L bunch riders all had issues with cyclists riding wide then forcing themselves in whereas i rode the 62km with one can assume less "experienced" and our bunch was never more than 2 riding aside, it was only when falling back from pacing or moving up that there were times it was 3/4 but then only after ensuring road was clear behind and ahead and never crossing the white line to do so.

I had a great race came in @ 3h17 after my chain came off twice first time on the climb at suikerbosrand when I got left behind by BL and again coming out of heidelberg. then we formed a small 10-12 men group to the finish. :thumbup:

I rode in DL and from the start the pace was very high. I really enjoyed the group and it seemed like the people were behaving themselves until about 50km where there was some guttering. People were all over the place and after a left turn I did not managed to latch onto the front guys. They rode of and we worked our butts off at the front of the 2nd bunch to pull them back, but without any luck. We never saw them again and only picked up the stragglers. I stayed with 2 dudes from AL, some BL but most CL & DL. After about 100km I sat up and limped home in 3:18.

The organisation was fantastic! Will I do the race again? No I doubt it and it has nothing to do with the organisers. It is just too far to travel for a race from PTA. For most it won’t be a problem, but for me living in the East it’s about a 150km round trip.

We came all the way from Potch. Our day already started at 3h00 waking up and leaving from the farm at 4h00. But for us it is worth the effort as it is one of the better organised races.

Looks like the top L bunch riders all had issues with cyclists riding wide then forcing themselves in whereas i rode the 62km with one can assume less "experienced" and our bunch was never more than 2 riding aside, it was only when falling back from pacing or moving up that there were times it was 3/4 but then only after ensuring road was clear behind and ahead and never crossing the white line to do so.

Scotty what batch were you in, I was in AS near the front for the whole ride bar the BS rider coming through at the end and causing the group to scatter in the last 5km. It was a good ride and the group never really had any incidents that I am aware of.

VA : came in at 3:06 . . . probably last in the group . . . was strong until 78 km then the babelas kicked in . . . I "blame" it on the LIONS !!!!! The win caused my braai to turn into a lekker hande kuier . . .

Scotty what batch were you in, I was in AS near the front for the whole ride bar the BS rider coming through at the end and causing the group to scatter in the last 5km. It was a good ride and the group never really had any incidents that I am aware of.

I was in the same group AS, the BS riders catching us certainly shook it up but i was expecting them to catch us sooner as they were right on our tail at the turn around point. Managed to stick with the bunch then about 2km to go the guy in front left a gap and i had to use all my matches catching finishing at the tail end of the bunch on the line.

VA : came in at 3:06 . . . probably last in the group . . . was strong until 78 km then the babelas kicked in . . . I "blame" it on the LIONS !!!!! The win caused my braai to turn into a lekker hande kuier . . .

It was an unexpected victory. glad I stuck to whiskey & water ;-)

Except if you include my DNF! Did you see me on the back of the bakkie? Hopefully I get some Strava records...

Yoh very scary race. . .just glad to have finished safely. The merge at the end is my scariest moments especially last 500. Thanks to the CL group we rode well in front trying to keep everyone safe. Finished first in the CL group :) much easier dodging people and those cones alone TTing to the end.

Finished in 3.05.46 with a Chris Willemse kit.

Which races offer full road closure? Would rather just stick to them, this only being my 2nd road race.

well done. i was climbing with you guys up heidelburg when we had a small breakaway. i was riding the trek leopard kit. pity i got dropped in the last 8km of the race.

Except if you include my DNF! Did you see me on the back of the bakkie? Hopefully I get some Strava records...

:w00t: . . .

well done. i was climbing with you guys up heidelburg when we had a small breakaway. i was riding the trek leopard kit. pity i got dropped in the last 8km of the race.

FOMO you rode like a beast, sub 3 argus is close

Yoh very scary race. . .just glad to have finished safely. The merge at the end is my scariest moments especially last 500. Thanks to the CL group we rode well in front trying to keep everyone safe. Finished first in the CL group :) much easier dodging people and those cones alone TTing to the end.

Finished in 3.05.46 with a Chris Willemse kit.

Which races offer full road closure? Would rather just stick to them, this only being my 2nd road race.

Very well ridden. Burnt matches keeping up with you till that last turn.

I enjoyed riding with the CL guys. After bad memories from last year I made sure I got there early and kept myself in the first 15 or so riders for the first 50ks when things tend to get hairy further back in the pack. Did a few turns at the front but for the most part most guys weren't too interested in working early on.

Otherwise managed my race really well until about the last 20k's where I got caught napping when (with a slight gutter wind) a few gaps starting appearing and I was slow to realise it. Burned a whole bunch of matches to get back on, and then you buggers at the front surged again at the top the drag about 18km's out and I couldn't respond. Rode in with a nice group of about 10 riders to finish 3.08.

Love this race always - but the cones - bad idea hope its not repeated.

Must be one of the best organised races in Gauteng... rode in VB and we had 2 motorbike marshals with us the entire ride... big kudos to them for the way they handled the traffic and the cyclists. Everything about the race keeps me coming back for more... even when i'm chewing handlebar tape suffereing on the highway to the finish!!! :eek: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rode in AL, and we caught the elite girls after 50km after not really trying. I was expecting them to put the hammer down in the Heidelberg area and return the favour, but never saw them again.

See that their winning time was ± 3:17!!

Wow, really slow, racing must have been REALLY negative.

What happened with them rding in the VC bunch to improve the quality of the riding?

Rode in AL, and we caught the elite girls after 50km after not really trying. I was expecting them to put the hammer down in the Heidelberg area and return the favour, but never saw them again.

See that their winning time was ± 3:17!!

Wow, really slow, racing must have been REALLY negative.

What happened with them rding in the VC bunch to improve the quality of the riding?

I spoke to one of the girls, they didn't race for time, they raced for the win. Yesterday was a repeat of attack, chase slow down/recover rinse & repeat. No wonder Anli said they quality of road racing for women in sa is not up to standard.