SILVERBACK GUARANTEE???

YatesK

I bought my daughter a SILVERBACK STRIDE 10 in November 2013 - believe me, she is no extreme off roader - in fact the worst terrain she has ridden is the KOEBERG NATURE RESERVE (MELKBOS), then riding up from the beach last week (on tar), a link in the chain broke hooking the derailleur and wrapping it around the rear cluster and in the process braking the drop out and bending the derailleur beyond repair.

The bike is less than three month old - cause of damage - failure of the chain. Am I being unreasonable believing that this should be covered by the guaranteed??

Well SILVERBACK thinks that I am - the cost of repairs, R507.30, not very much really but obviously it is more than SILVERBACKS reputation is worth.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverbacks guarantee would only cover the frame if it fails. Component failure(chain, derailleur etc) would not be covered.

Silverbacks guarantee would only cover the frame if it fails. Component failure(chain, derailleur etc) would not be covered.

As with any manufacturer. Things go wrong, mtb is harsh on equipment...thats all

Not silverback's fault at all. The chain is a wear and tear item and if it breaks it breaks.

Not cool flaming silverback for their "lack of service" in this respect. Why did the chain break? Did you keep it lubricated and clean?

Oh btw - in the motor industry that damage would be called consequential damage and wouldn't be covered by the extended warranties at all. Try claiming for a busted steering rack when your power steering system blows. Sorry, related but consequential. Should have stopped when the chain broke.

I speak of personal experience when saying that the service from Silverback is exeptional. They have replaced (from 2007 till now) 3 x Nabraska frames for me. The latest one being replaced by the 2013 Spectra 2.

I would rather blame the bike builder for a shitty assembly of the chain. My chain does not get looked after, sometimes running in mud and sand and other stuff, not breaking. so rather blame the bike builder, and repair it at a diffrent shop.

Edited by SilverCracker

Oh btw - in the motor industry that damage would be called consequential damage and wouldn't be covered by the extended warranties at all. Try claiming for a busted steering rack when your power steering system blows. Sorry, related but consequential. Should have stopped when the chain broke.

Thanks for all the reply's - the new consumer protection act does not agree - the bike is virtually new with about 100k's on it (was washed and lubricated after each ride) has not even had it's first service - it may not be Silverbacks fault but it was a component supplied by them that broke, they must take responsibility - they can claim back from the chain supplier.

A chain braking within 100ks cannot be blamed on "wear and tear" - the chain broke because it was faulty - no other reason. When a chain brakes while riding, you only know when it is too late to stop.

For the record, I have been riding (road and off road) for 30 plus years - have completed 19 Argus's, doing sub three hours 25 years ago - not bragging just saying that I know my way around a bike - when a component fails due a quality problem, I can tell.

Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts - I am still happy with the bike and I sure my daughter will have plenty of fun on the bike.

Put this behind you and enjoy seeing your daughter riding the bike- **** happens its just not nice when it happens to you :thumbup:

Thanks for all the reply's - the new consumer protection act does not agree - the bike is virtually new with about 100k's on it (was washed and lubricated after each ride) has not even had it's first service - it may not be Silverbacks fault but it was a component supplied by them that broke, they must take responsibility - they can claim back from the chain supplier.

A chain braking within 100ks cannot be blamed on "wear and tear" - the chain broke because it was faulty - no other reason. When a chain brakes while riding, you only know when it is too late to stop.

For the record, I have been riding (road and off road) for 30 plus years - have completed 19 Argus's, doing sub three hours 25 years ago - not bragging just saying that I know my way around a bike - when a component fails due a quality problem, I can tell.

Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts - I am still happy with the bike and I sure my daughter will have plenty of fun on the bike.

It's possible that your daughter cross-chained, putting extra strain on it.

Ok will then you have made up your mind....ALL of us gave you our views and input, you think otherwise. Hire a attorney and sue silverback / SRAM / Shimano, that will teach em.. Your goal of tainting them brand on this platform has failed though.