SILVERBACK GUARANTEE???

YatesK

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have learn't from experience that the manufacturer (in your case Silverback) only warrantees the frame. The drive train fault should be covered by the drive train manufacturer. I would assume that it would be Shimano.

Split warrantes like this creates all sorts of senarios and it makes a claim difficult.\

Despite what others say here, I agree that you have a claim if you have followed the correct maintenance that they expect you to. The question is who would honour that claim.

Is it Shimano's problem (assuming Shimano parts), is it Silverbacks problem (as their choice of parts caused damage to their frame) or is it the bike shop's problem. Maybe they built the bike incorrectly and their workmanship caused the damage.

It is going to be a big fight, but don't lie down and take it. Sometimes they will repair the damage just to create a bit of goodwill.

I have also read that most suppliers (of whatever product) ignore the Consumer Protection Act and still follow their own rules.

25 Most Ridiculous claims on the internet,

Nr 25 :" A couple vacationing in southern France filed an insurance claim for the paint on their car after it got licked off by a herd of cows."

Number 26 would be yours as it's just as silly, Silverback's reputation is not going to suffer but rather yours.

I have learn't from experience that the manufacturer (in your case Silverback) only warrantees the frame. The drive train fault should be covered by the drive train manufacturer. I would assume that it would be Shimano.

Split warrantes like this creates all sorts of senarios and it makes a claim difficult.\

Despite what others say here, I agree that you have a claim if you have followed the correct maintenance that they expect you to. The question is who would honour that claim.

Is it Shimano's problem (assuming Shimano parts), is it Silverbacks problem (as their choice of parts caused damage to their frame) or is it the bike shop's problem. Maybe they built the bike incorrectly and their workmanship caused the damage.

It is going to be a big fight, but don't lie down and take it. Sometimes they will repair the damage just to create a bit of goodwill.

I have also read that most suppliers (of whatever product) ignore the Consumer Protection Act and still follow their own rules.

Actually no. Silverback, like other bnrands, cover the components.

• Original Parts - All original parts on the bicycle are warranted for a period of one year from the date of
    purchase.
  • Original parts - In the case of wear and tear parts, only three months warranty applies, unless otherwise
    specified by original manufacturer.

• Original Parts - All original parts on the bicycle are warranted for a period of one year from the date of
    purchase.

• Original parts - In the case of wear and tear parts, only three months warranty applies, unless otherwise

Thanks again for all the input - No, I don't expect SILVERBACKS reputation will suffer at all, they make great bikes, I guess a chain failing so soon is not very common. I just think they missed an opportunity to earn a Noddy badge for "doing the right thing".

More than a few years back (about 25 to be exact) I bought a DIAMOND BACK APEX (DEORE DX components) , at that time the APEX was second from the top of the Diamond Back range - anyway, soon after I bought it (I still have it by the way), I broke the rear derailleur when a stick got caught in the chain at Jonkershoek. Although it was entirely my fault, DIAMOND BACK replaced the chain and derailleur at their expense - how great was that? I am still singing their praises - I could have been singing SILVERBACKs praises 25 years from now (if I am still alive) for just doing what is right - well what I think is right.

I am really not crying about it - the R500 paid just means a few beers less this month, I will survive - and I apologise to the Silverback owners who got so upset because I had the audacity to say something negative about the brand of bike they ride - you too will survive.

Thanks for all the reply's - the new consumer protection act does not agree - the bike is virtually new with about 100k's on it (was washed and lubricated after each ride) has not even had it's first service - it may not be Silverbacks fault but it was a component supplied by them that broke, they must take responsibility - they can claim back from the chain supplier.

you said it, you bought the bike from a bike shop, deal with them. not the manufacturer.

If you go read section 55(2) of the CPA you quoted, you'll see it states that the right to return or demand repair is against the supplier which in this case is the bike shop not the manufacturer.

so if you want to blame someone or come here and moan about it name and shame the bikeshop (after first contacting directly)

Sjoe, a few hard nuts to crack today on the Hub.

Yeah, Silverback's aftersales support is brilliant. Maybe take it up with shop where you got it.

I just think you were dealt an unfortunate blow.

Sorry mate

purchase.

+1

Same goes for everything. If you buy a new car from say VW, and they use Bosch spark plugs, and one of your spark plugs stops firing within the warranty period they don't tell you to go sort it out with Bosch. I'd also like to see someone take an IPhone to Samsung when something related to the processor goes wrong.

Could go on for ages. At the end of the day the gent bought a bike. Not a frame from Silverback and a bunch of components from shimano/sram.

I had an issue on my giant tcr, somehow bent the chainring slightly during a ride. Chainring got replaced with no questions, I didn't have to get hold of FSA to sort it out.

you said it, you bought the bike from a bike shop, deal with them. not the manufacturer.

If you go read section 55(2) of the CPA you quoted, you'll see it states that the right to return or demand repair is against the supplier which in this case is the bike shop not the manufacturer.

so if you want to blame someone or come here and moan about it name and shame the bikeshop (after first contacting directly)

The supplier, via the bike shop, also has the right to take the item to scrutinise how the damage actually occured.

Stand your ground, like the dude i saw in my LBS a few weeks back who demanded a warrantee replacement on his punctured tube.

He seriously couldn't or wouldn't understand the bike shop position.

(The first three words to be read in a truly sarcastic tone. The rest of the story really happened)

Edited by eddy

The supplier, via the bike shop, also has the right to take the item to scrutinise how the damage actually occured.

I did take it up with the bike shop and I believe they did what they could, even gave me discount to soften the blow when Silverback would not help.

Actually the new CPA does allow a consumer to sue both the retailer and the manufacturer when things go wrong (in the past it was all on the manufacturers head). In this case I cannot prove what actually happened so would not take if further - for R500 (although looking at the chain it was pretty obvious what happened), but it would have been nice to be given the benefit of the doubt.

But cowboys don't cry - we will carry on cycling - although I cannot believe that Silverback owners are (generally) such a sensitive lot, do you think it's an inferiority complex? - mustn't say that, we now have a Silverback owner in the family.

I am a technical oke. I have broken chains via broken hangers and weak links and s****y workmanship on chain assemblies.

So here is how I think....

Most of the strain on any bike chain is at the top. So naturally the chain will break there first. So if the chain broke there, there would not have been a "link" - for the lack of a better word- between the chain ring and rear cogs that would be able to pull the jockey way past the hanger and stuffing the frame in the process.

BUT....

Throw a jockey with a stick and it shuts down, you give it some power to turn. NOW there is a link between the chain ring and rear cogs, the jockey will overtake the hanger, breaking it and damaging the frame. Once all this has gone to s**t, the chain will break because it will not be able to turn the wheel. this all can happen in two strokes while standing...

Just a thought

Edited by SilverCracker

Silverback owners are not a sensitive bunch at all. The majority of people here on the hub have heard all the stories of the superb after sales service Silverback offers. Second to none. In my opinion, they have, on occasions been too accomodating to certain claims.