Dear Joggers

D Vader

What you cannot see behind yourself, don't you have a neck? Its actually pretty simple to check over your shoulder and move your bars an inch and move around the runner, show a little tolerance for our non motorised brethren please.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you cannot see behind yourself, don't you have a neck? Its actually pretty simple to check over your shoulder and move your bars an inch and move around the runner, show a little tolerance for our non motorised brethren please.

I agree. A cyclist can generally see a runner from a distance giving the cyclist ample time to check the road behind him/her and to move over to give the runner room. Not so much around corners though, particularly on fast, mountainous downhills. I tend to go through tight areas very cautiously.

Edited by Blackbeard

Firstly you never stated that - you made a general statement. You also said its the law for the pedestrian to use the pavement and cyclist to use the road. Both are not true.

What is weird is you do not see it from both sides of the coin. You expect motorist to not have the attitude of 'the road is mine' but don't offer the same courtesy to others road users?

Actually both statements ARE true GENERALLY, I did not feel the need to state all the possible exceptions as this involves too much typing. It is merely that there are certain exceptions when this does not count. I stated they should move onto the pavement, this assumes THERE IS A PAVEMENT.

Ai JGR, are you just trolling for to make more irritation when this was nicely done by said joggers already?

I should have filmed the conditions. I am very happy to share the road and tend to be very courteous and accommodating, just asking for the same consideration

Joggers plodding, many-a-breast, towards cyclists is a problem, the fatter slower ones seem to be the worst. Same as the cyclists who shout at other cyclists, if you're good you just get on with it.

Edited by Joe Low

Just like with everything else, you get good ones and bad ones... and yes, there seem to be a lot more of the latter out there these days, but that's more a symptom of the self obsessed numero uno modern man syndrome that is the plague of our modern society. I run, I ride and I like to think I am incredibly courteous at all times, but I may well make the odd mistake too. We're human after all.

Might I ask if you took this up with the jogger at the time?

Not a "Hey Box, get out the way" - just a nice ride back up along side him and ask him for a moment of his time. Make him aware of your issue, your thought process on it, possible solutions etc and ask him just to consider it in future?

Or where you in too much of a rush ;) :blush:

Actually both statements ARE true GENERALLY, I did not feel the need to state all the possible exceptions as this involves too much typing. It is merely that there are certain exceptions when this does not count. I stated they should move onto the pavement, this assumes THERE IS A PAVEMENT.

Ai JGR, are you just trolling for to make more irritation when this was nicely done by said joggers already?

I should have filmed the conditions. I am very happy to share the road and tend to be very courteous and accommodating, just asking for the same consideration

Don't pick on me because you laid out a feeble argument that was riddled with hypocrisy as noted by others.

Also don't use your isolated incident and making sweeping untrue statements. Cyclist are allowed to use the pavement and runners the road. It is no more difficult to move around a runner as it is to avoid a pot hole coming around a blind corner.

Should a cyclist using the pavement jump into the street when they see a jogger or would it be easier for them to pass each other?

Edited by JGR

JGR, sweetheart, nobody is picking on you.

Hypocrisy implies double standards, I was particularly asking for equal standards.

I have now relaxed a bit and I hope you are not too upset and can also relax and I will be very mindful of the joggers ( and hopefully you) when next we meet.

JGR, sweetheart, nobody is picking on you.

Yeah, even if I don't (and I wont) greet you, I'm not picking on you.

Joggers plodding, many-a-breast, towards cyclists is a problem, .

There is a group that run in the parks - BOTH sides of the road, 5 - 10 deep.... won't make space for a cyclists

http://www.runnersworld.co.za

Might be a better place to start off this thread about runners, not sure there is a big runner only community just surfing the Rant n Rave threads on a cycling forum. Kind of the target audience for the main points and the issues. I do realise there are a lot of runner / riders but I'm guessing they know the rules more than most.

I applause he idea to go and educate the flat footed masses but honestly if they were that bright they'd have evolved on to bikes...

Yeah, even if I don't (and I wont) greet you, I'm not picking on you.

That is just unfair. If you don't greet me regularly then I don't if you're picking on me when you don't greet me... I'll think you're just from Cape Town.

Come on! Let's start that rational fred again and maybe throw in some 26er vs 29er action, roadie vs dirt boys, shavers vs not, 4x4 vs riders, cars vs rider, walkers vs mtbs, dog walkers vs most other people, let the dirt boys turn on each other with some lycra vs baggies blood letting and round it all off with a massive 'all-in' on tri guys...

All this can be attributed to a freakin humangous lack of CS and CC......common sense and cordial courtesy. Have seen some agro MTBers' attitude towards each other on mountain single tracks.....the bloke comming down hill usually thinks his got right of way because he has "THE SPPHHEEEEEEEED".....while it is actually the bloke going uphill!!

Much more difficult to get into motion and maintaining it uphill than slowing down on a down hill and giving way.......

Edited by BarHugger

Who's your Jogger?

A Jogger is another name for the type of polly shorts used in the 70's.

WE ARE RUNNERS.

Oh yes AND we are CYCLISTS

and now and then we are MOTORISTS

Mutual respect and tolerance for one another will make our roads far safer.