Help with Avid Elixir Brakes

Gearman

I've recently brought an secondhand 2011 Giant Anthem that has Avid Elixir CR brakes. Needless to say, I'm not very happy with the performance of the brakes .. besides the fact that they are almost never quiet. Is there something one can do to fix the performance and noise issues ? Does not look like the brake pads needs replacing, but maybe there is a better brake pad that does the job better?

My first instinct is to chuck 'em and go XT, but the budget is not looking so great right now.

Then again .. I would prefer to leave the tree-hugging (due to bad brakes) to the greenies.

What do you recon?

Edited by Gearman

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing I did for my elixirs was to fit organic pads. The noise won't go away but the braking performance improves drastically. Also, bleed if they feel spongy. If you still feel you HAVE to replace them, then go with slx. No need for XT brakes!

I've recently brought an secondhand 2011 Giant Anthem that has Avid Elixir CR brakes. Needless to say, I'm not very happy with the performance of the brakes .. besides the fact that they are almost never quiet. Is there something one can do to fix the performance and noise issues ? Does not look like the brake pads needs replacing, but maybe there is a better brake pad that does the job better?

My first instinct is to chuck 'em and go XT, but the budget is not looking so great right now.

Then again .. I would prefer to leave the tree-hugging (due to bad brakes) to the greenies.

What do you recon?

Hey OP, did you do this on purpose? Please not another Elixir bashing thread

P.S. stay away from anything "shitmano" esp fishing reels and bike parts :ph34r:

+1 on the de-glazing.

I have found that following also helps. Cut a small vertical groove in the centre of the pad with one of those small hacksaws with the thin blade. Saw right through to almost on the metal of the disc. Next take some serious rough sanding paper and give the pad a few good scrapes to remove the top layer of pad material. Hopefully you will now enjoy the silence......alternatively just do what others have done.......apply silly amounts Q20 (just make sure your medical aid contributions are fully paid up).

Edited by BarHugger

My bike came with Exilir brakes, they are pretty noisy and never found them fantastic but never got to the point that I felt I could justify an upgrade. I've recently built up a new bike with XT brakes and WOW you can't believe the difference!! The only problem I have had with them is that they stop you so quickly it feels like your clothes are just going to keep going! Absolutely awesome brakes and will defiantly be the next up grade on my other bikes! If you can I would defiantly recommend getting a pair!

Guest CHRIS001

Good day. please look at the following things of your brakes.

1) when last did they bleed them

2) dot4-5. what did they use to bleed it with.

3) has the brake done lots of miles

4) are the inner plate that holds the brake bake properly installed

5)does your rotor have blue marks on them.

when doing these checks one will find it was bleeded wrong, contamination or that the calliper has done lots of miles and the pads floats inside the calliper

if you don't come right please visit us at our workshop or go on line to www.cmcservicecentre.co.za and drop us a email with more information .

kind regards

Christopher Candiotes .

Try the XX/XO metal Pad......... The difference is noticeable. The Elixirs will never be as good as XT's, but don't warrant replacing either. Try the XX/XO pad from Avid. That's what I did, and it worked for me.

Bro, I had a set of Elixirs on my bike and had numerous problems with them. Silicon spray helps with the squeaking. I bit the bullet and bought SLX and XT Ice Rotors. Massive difference. SLX are just as good as XT with a nice price saving and and believe it or not they weigh exactly the same. I have seen them weighed. Sell your Avids and put the money towards a set of SLX.

Bite the bullet as soon as you can and buy a set of XT's. Your gut is right...PS don't chuck good money after bad, don't rebleed or get new pads

Exactly what I'm going to do. My Elixir 7 have squeaked to the point that it causes vibration, and thats since they were brand new with no bike shop having been able to resolve it.

I had Elixir 3's and although they were not too bad mechanically and did what they were supposed to do, they did have an annoying squeal when engaged. I contacted SRAM and they even gave me a new set of different rotors and brake pads at their expense but it didn't make much difference. I also tried a couple of other brake pads but with no real difference.

I just had to live with it as I didn't have money for upgrades but personally if you have the money I would just upgrade.

I had Elixir 3's and although they were not too bad mechanically and did what they were supposed to do, they did have an annoying squeal when engaged. I contacted SRAM and they even gave me a new set of different rotors and brake pads at their expense but it didn't make much difference. I also tried a couple of other brake pads but with no real difference.

I just had to live with it as I didn't have money for upgrades but personally if you have the money I would just upgrade.

True... At least the stop the bike and heck, the noise is far more effective than brake lights.

True... At least the stop the bike and heck, the noise is far more effective than brake lights.

.....or the ding-ding on the handlebar when doing single track behind a slower rider.......