Bike-jacking at gun point on Hout Bay to Camps Bay road (25 Feb 2014)

chefsimonkemp

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a licensed and highly responsible firearm owner I hope to never need to have to use it but I also ride alone and have come to the conclusion that the "piece" goes with from now on.

If I am attacked whilst riding and depending on the gravity, seriousness and to what extent they are armed I will defend myself.

Whether you are attacked whilst riding or in your home or in your car or walking in the forest with the family on a Sunday morning the principle is the same........they are seriously looking for something to steal and will take a life in a split second and without any remorse.

If I or my family are attacked and the situation clearly warrants it the perpetrator/s will pass away.....period.

Edited by play fair

Warning!

I just got bike-jacked at gunpoint this morning (5am) on the Hout Bay to Camps Bay coast road by 3 guys in a silver Yaris.

They first tried to jump me by running at me but were unsuccessful, and then pursued in their car running me off the road and climbing out with guns.

I was riding alone and the road was deserted.

Ride in groups or wait till the roads are a bit busier....

Lesson learnt!

Jeez that's rough and blatant.

Off topic I know but are you the Simon Kemp that used to work at the Peninsula?

and my boyfirend doesn't take me seriously when I tell him not to ride the Spruit in JHB alone and I worry, pity its dangerous when you trying to be health maintain a good lifestyle it doesn't seem fair.

I definitely agree ride in packs it helps although spinner is good to but not cool when you forced into using it out of safety.

Glad they just stole some possessions, not cool but better than what else could have happened!

Edited by Arora

Glad to hear you ok - sounds like a gangster paradise down there.

If it is a regular route for many is it not worth trying to coordinate a weekly morning ride so that everyone can ride in groups.

In JHB we have the engen2engen group ride (in Bryanston). Its completely in formal, you arrive at the garage and depart at 4.45 (Tue to thurs) do predominately the same route each morning ride, riders join and leave the group along the entire route.

There are major benefits, you meet people, you ride in groups, we have some elite riders with us so the pace can be insane, if a technical problem someone is bound to stop with you and you get yourself into a good routine

Some mornings particularity building up to key events you are can be in a group of 50 to 70 riders (maybe even more)

I am relocating to Cape town in the next few weeks and i would love to participate with a group similar to this.

Sorry to hear, but glad that you are ok and got your bike.

Where about on Victoria Road was it? was going to ride that route tomorrow alone. Just changed my plans

Dad David said it was on the flat stretch near the curio sellers.

Guys, we mustn't let incidents like this rule our lives. Otherwise, we just hand over control of the city to the gangsters, like I think has happened in GP. The "Evil takes over when good men stand by and do nothing" sort of thing.

Gangsters have realised the value of bicycles and how easy it is to steal them. The rider is unprotected, there is no key access, no immobiliser, no tracker and bikes cost as much as cars these days. Bikes don't need to be registered, there is no engine or VIN number logged anywhere (honestly, how many of us even know our frame number or have it written down somewhere?) Disposal and transport of stolen bikes is a breeze. There is a bigger demand for bikes than for cars.

The cops can't tell the difference between an Epic S-Works and a China dikwiel special and probably don't even look twice at any cyclist on the road.

SAPS is split into clusters, each comprising 3-4 police stations. Each cluster , supposedly, has a Second Hand Goods officer who is tasked with checking pawn shops, Cash Crusaders and the like. They are not trained to be bicycle experts, and honestly, we can't expect them to be. It's too much to learn.

Clusters don't communicate well with each other, there is no overarching control mechanism in place that could help to make the disposal of stolen bikes more difficult.

The cops on the road are not capable to get a lid on crime , that's something we all agree on (except SAPS of course).

As cyclists we're at the mercy of the criminals ( as we are as home owners, motor car owners, etc).

The cops don't like to accept the help of the public, because they feel like they are being shown up and I think it dents their ego as well.

We as cyclists who know about bikes,parts etc, should have a strong link to SAPS assisting them with information so that they can ID a stolen bike and recover it.

When a bike is jacked as happened this morning, SAPS should be calling someone in the cycling community to tell them about it so that the details are disseminated rapidly and the net closes a little tighter.

It's pie in the sky stuff. The authorities are just to slow and inefficient.

Hey hope you have recovered from this traumatic experience !! Was this in broad daylight?

No, here in slaapstad it is still pitch black outside at 5am...

That's some scary sh%t! I was out at that exact time and that is my route most mornings. F%cking scum!