Bike-jacking at gun point on Hout Bay to Camps Bay road (25 Feb 2014)

chefsimonkemp

Mod Note: Please ignore the troll.

The offending post and those quoting it will be removed - apologies for the loss of your responses in the process. Will try to preserve any that add value to the topic.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod Note: Please ignore the troll.

The offending post and those quoting it will be removed - apologies for the loss of your responses in the process. Will try to preserve any that add value to the topic.

Thank you!

Hi All!

Thanks for the well wishes..if anyone finds my light on the coast road (was not on the bike when that was recovered) then let me know:)

Ride safe and see some of you on the roads soon!

Guys, we mustn't let incidents like this rule our lives. Otherwise, we just hand over control of the city to the gangsters, like I think has happened in GP. The "Evil takes over when good men stand by and do nothing" sort of thing.

Just want to add my angry voice as well. :cursing:

And to say I feel the same way as Le Turbo. Flood the roads with groups of riders and prevent these incidents. Kandui and his efforts did wonders for safety on the front of Table Mountain. :clap: It can be done elsewhere also!

I ride this route every morning at about the same time, so if anybody is keen let's start a group! Looks like it is becoming a necessity.

Glad the op is safe and in good spirits, these guys must have been high on something, did they look a bit out of it?

No criminal in their right minds will try steal a big mtb with a tiny Yaris that already has 3 men in it, they may be numbskull skelms but that's beyond stupidity. I reckon these guys may have been doing whatever drugs they do the whole night and were trawling for a way to get money/goods to trade for more drugs.

Edited by Skylark

Warning!

I just got bike-jacked at gunpoint this morning (5am) on the Hout Bay to Camps Bay coast road by 3 guys in a silver Yaris.

They first tried to jump me by running at me but were unsuccessful, and then pursued in their car running me off the road and climbing out with guns.

I was riding alone and the road was deserted.

Ride in groups or wait till the roads are a bit busier....

Lesson learnt!

Bloody disgusting. Glad you are okay.

Warning!

I just got bike-jacked at gunpoint this morning (5am) on the Hout Bay to Camps Bay coast road by 3 guys in a silver Yaris.

They first tried to jump me by running at me but were unsuccessful, and then pursued in their car running me off the road and climbing out with guns.

I was riding alone and the road was deserted.

Ride in groups or wait till the roads are a bit busier....

Lesson learnt!

This is why I wont ride alone in the dark or leave too early in the morning.

Geez. Glad you're okay buddy. I'm in CPT for a few weeks from tomorrow and was eyeing that route. There goes

The route is fine during the day, enough traffic to keep it safe. Even this morning at 5:30 I saw people were cycling more in groups. Lots of cyclists on this part of the road at 5:30 am, which means it's safe enough.

Really happy that everything is ok, must have been *** scary. I do that route from Noordhoek a couple of times a week and it is a big wake up. My only consolation is that nobody would want to touch a bike with that much sweat on it :) perhaps it is an idea to setup some type of informal group?

I reckon Skylark is right - these guys were coked/methed/whatever to the gills and saw an opportunity. The OP was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Laat ons nie almal paniekerig raak nie! Three okes (driver excluded?) plus a 29er in a Yaris would normally be a good laugh.

Does anyone know how safe is the route from fish hoek, via ocean view or kommetjie, through misty cliffs to cape point back to fish hoek?

At this moment in time, anywhere in Cape Town is safe and unsafe.

If you not kicked off your bike, robbed at gunpoint, rammed by motorvehicles, broken into home....

Well then IDT is probably the safest option.

Issues most of us have is leaving early and not always having a group to ride in!