Bike-jacking at gun point on Hout Bay to Camps Bay road (25 Feb 2014)

chefsimonkemp

The "broken window" principle enforced in New York is the only model that will have any impact on crime in South Africa.

The police service is not a calling for people passionate about upholding the law anymore, it's become another employment opportunity for unmotivated people ,eying a cushy job and a government pension.

One gets the feeling that the police is just there to give you a case number for your insurance company. Unless somebody dies, they're not interested.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning!

I just got bike-jacked at gunpoint this morning (5am) on the Hout Bay to Camps Bay coast road by 3 guys in a silver Yaris.

They first tried to jump me by running at me but were unsuccessful, and then pursued in their car running me off the road and climbing out with guns.

I was riding alone and the road was deserted.

Ride in groups or wait till the roads are a bit busier....

Lesson learnt!

Hi, I'm from the Cape Argus - was hoping to chat to you about the mugging. Could you drop me a PM with your contact details/ or just email me at kieran.legg@inl.co.za

The "broken window" principle enforced in New York is the only model that will have any impact on crime in South Africa.

The police service is not a calling for people passionate about upholding the law anymore, it's become another employment opportunity for unmotivated people ,eying a cushy job and a government pension.

One gets the feeling that the police is just there to give you a case number for your insurance company. Unless somebody dies, they're not interested.

That model is as old as policing itself...it is based on solid policing ensuring social adherence to by-laws and national laws. Like most ex-cops will tell you, you keep the drunks off the streets, the loiterers are kept walking and hawkers at bay, etc, etc. This sends a nice signal to the major criminals, that perhaps this is not a good place to try...like someone already said, something needs to be done otherwise this will become your way of life or stop a few good men from enjoying their cycling, jogging etc.

I'm grateful that I have not had this experience and my sympathies to the OP, but it seems that CPT and that specif route is coming up with alarming regularity lately.

Please notify Watchcon in Hout Bay on 021 7909333 of the incident. They might already have other incidents where this car is involved in. Also the Neighborhood Watch guys will be informed of it and keep a look out. Also post on Facebook, Hout Bay Organised and Massive.

And in fact our current attitude of "take it but don't hurt me" and "we're really grateful that we didn't get hurt" works EXACTLY the same principals as the broken window theory, but in reverse. It makes it socially acceptable to bikejack, hijack, steal, mug, armed robbery, etc. Socially acceptable as long as you don't kill the victim.

I think this was opportunistic, but if they get away with it they will try it again. I went past the police and armed response guys at about 5:30 while they were searching in the bushes next to the road. Even at that time there were virtually no other cyclists on the road because of the howling wind. Normally the road is buzzing with cyclists by then - especially this time of year.

The sad thing is even though it wasn't us who was robbed physically, we who train that route at that time have all been robbed now as we have to wonder every time we get on out bikes for 'that' ride...are WE going to be bike-jacked today..

I cant help questioning nowadays...I am the frog in the boiling pot...

Ai!!! So bad!!! Glad you ok!!!

Lets hope this doesn't become a common occurrence, theres been a ton of bike jackings towards Stellies, Lets hope this scum gets caught some how. Be careful out there guys!

That sucks, not expected at all along that stretch.

But that being said, if it was going to happen at all, a night/morning like last night is when it will.

We've noticed in our estate (not closed off) and the surrounding areas, that the more the wind blows or worse the weather is, the more likely there is to be a break-in or dodgy stuff to happen.

They use the noise and low visibility as cover. They could've been on their way to or from some break-in scouting or attempt. A case of wrong place at the wrong time.

I am glad the op is ok, this is the main reason why I am hardly on my bike, but time and again I do take my chances early morning.

While I can understand everyones frustration with redlight. Just ignore him, he is just getting under everyones skin and he is not worth the comments/replies that he received.

As a licensed and highly responsible firearm owner I hope to never need to have to use it but I also ride alone and have come to the conclusion that the "piece" goes with from now on.

If I am attacked whilst riding and depending on the gravity, seriousness and to what extent they are armed I will defend myself.

Whether you are attacked whilst riding or in your home or in your car or walking in the forest with the family on a Sunday morning the principle is the same........they are seriously looking for something to steal and will take a life in a split second and without any remorse.

If I or my family are attacked and the situation clearly warrants it the perpetrator/s will pass away.....period.

If you face three armed men, and you pull out your own gun, that's just suicide. Your life is worthless to these people. Best case scenario is that you will have your gun taken off you as well as your bike, phone and cash (and whatever else the robbers find on you). I don't think carrying while riding is the answer. I think we either need to be in a group, or on the IDT, and that's the sad reality.

Edited by Harryn

Warning!

I just got bike-jacked at gunpoint this morning (5am) on the Hout Bay to Camps Bay coast road by 3 guys in a silver Yaris.

They first tried to jump me by running at me but were unsuccessful, and then pursued in their car running me off the road and climbing out with guns.

I was riding alone and the road was deserted.

Ride in groups or wait till the roads are a bit busier....

Lesson learnt!

Glad you're OK man! WTF :cursing: