Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

To the point where posters who have indicated on this thread they were present and the altercation first started.

They allude to some mysterious incident that kick-started this but not a single one of them has actually provided anything meaningful nor have they provided anything that resembles a reason. Lots of "ooh but you didn't see what I did, and I was there" type of comment but not once when challenged to give a full account have they bothered.

Why is that?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the video again now brought a thought to mind.

When the car moves forward the videographer says something like "im telling all of you, you f***ers". Could it be that the driver is one of those arsed up people permanently angry at the cycling community? Its not at all the point of the story and the "mob" needs to be exposed, but it just made me think about how many drivers hate cyclists unnecessarily. Just a thought.

Based on the video taken, and irrespective of his mumbled comments, I'd say general driver rage against cyclists is perfectly justified. WE (you and I) need to change those perceptions and incidents like this only serve to make that so much more difficult than it already is. When the shoe is on the other foot we all clamour for the driver's head, so we have to apply the same standard to the cycling community.

They allude to some mysterious incident that kick-started this but not a single one of them has actually provided anything meaningful nor have they provided anything that resembles a reason. Lots of "ooh but you didn't see what I did, and I was there" type of comment but not once when challenged to give a full account have they bothered.

Why is that?

Okay, lets reconstruct the event for the court:

THere I was, inncoently cycling through the narrow streets of seapoint and camps bay, I cannot remember which one because my peleton was moving so fast. The ride was turning into one humdinger for the sprint, We were like laying out the lead out, and the rest of the peleton, oops training group, where sucking for air. They were shattered, spread out over the entire lane, even some trying to gutter on the white line. I turned to my buddy to indicate that it was his turn to pull. I sensed water on my face and looked up and HMOG, there in front of me materialised a white vehicle, teleported there like some star trek UFO. Don't they know the left lane is for cyclists? To make matters worse is that the vehicle was not even moving (something I only realised when I started to jump, so that I could get a free draft). Really, its truths.

So I did what any self respecting cyclist would do.. I decided to discuss the matter with the driver.......

Edited by Witkop

DALE I 100% AGREE BUT HONESTLY DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE CLEVER TO DO SO WHILE EMOTIONS ARE RUNNING WILD

These always some fool with poor judgement, low emotional intelligence and an inflated sense of righteousness...........

:-/

Okay, lets reconstruct the event for the court:

THere I was, inncoently cycling through the narrow streets of seapoint and camps bay, I cannot remember which one because my peleton was moving so fast. The ride was turning into one humdinger for the sprint, We were like laying out the lead out, and the rest of the peleton, oops training group, where sucking for air. They were shattered, spread out over the entire lane, even some trying to gutter on the white line. I turned to my buddy to indicate that it was his turn to pull. I sensed water on my face and looked up and HMOG, there in front of me materialised a white vehicle, teleported there like some star trek UFO. Don't they know the left lane is for cyclists? To make matters worse is that the vehicle was not even moving (something I only realised when I started to jump, so that I could get a free draft). Really, its truths.

So I did what any self respecting cyclist would do.. I decided to discuss the matter with the driver.......

LOL. Nicely dodged their responsibility to ensure that the road ahead is clear and safe to proceed...

If you smash into someone who has stopped (for whatever reason) in the road, it's your fault... You weren't paying attention. I know I've done it before...

Hands up anyone who condones this. COME ON. Let's see who really thinks this is justified.

(Seriously doubt you will find anyone. We are almost ALL in agreement that this is thuggery. Some of us would just like to know how it really got to this, now that it is truly out there in the public for all to see.)

Tubehunter thanks for your support, there are a few on the hub who feels that any cyclists associated with MCC would be 'targeted' by the greater cycling community on Sunday, as I said before it would really be a sad day for cycling if anyone would be injured due to pure associations with MCC or wearing their cycling jersey.

I want to emphasise the perpetrators linked to Sunday's incident will be dealt with by 1. The law 2. The PPA. All other MCC members are as innocent as other cyclists belonging to other clubs, why then should they be hurt.

If there are any corporates or individuals who would like to assist in sponsoring cycling kit,to the many innocent MCC developmental riders who only have the MCC club kit to ride in on Sunday,for fear of retribution by the greater cycling community or public please feel free to contact the management of MCC; why should i wear anything else while many poor innocent MCC riders don't have that luxury.

Tubehunter thanks for your support, there are a few on the hub who feels that any cyclists associated with MCC would be 'targeted' by the greater cycling community on Sunday, as I said before it would really be a sad day for cycling if anyone would be injured due to pure associations with MCC or wearing their cycling jersey.

I want to emphasise the perpetrators linked to Sunday's incident will be dealt with by 1. The law 2. The PPA. All other MCC members are as innocent as other cyclists belonging to other clubs, why then should they be hurt.

If there are any corporates or individuals who would like to assist in sponsoring cycling kit,to the many innocent MCC developmental riders who only have the MCC club kit to ride in on Sunday,for fear of retribution by the greater cycling community or public please feel free to contact the management of MCC; why should i wear anything else while many poor innocent MCC riders don't have that luxury.

Its really a non-issue. Lets not make it one.

1. The CLUB

2. The law

3. PPA

MC2 must be seen to be taking the lead in disciplining their members in terms of their own code of conduct. Immediate suspension is justified, no further participation in club activities or use of club gear until all internal and external processes have concluded. The club cannot delay their own procedures by conveniently deferring to the law or the PPA.

1. The CLUB

2. The law

3. PPA

MC2 must be seen to be taking the lead in disciplining their members in terms of their own code of conduct. Immediate suspension is justified, no further participation in club activities or use of club gear until all internal and external processes have concluded. The club cannot delay their own procedures by conveniently deferring to the law or the PPA.

I'd go so far as to say that an outright ban from the club would be in order. For those perpetrators...

So personally, here are my only concerns regarding 1: The Ban from their Club and 2: a Ban from PPA,

1> What then stops these guys from just going on to join another club if ALL clubs arent made aware of who these ........ ok to stay on the hub il say, who theseThugs are?? And

2> I know its almost impossible to monitor this, but what stops these guys from participating in the PPA events?? All they do is they do not register online and just register as a late entry on the day!! There are soooo many who do this, therefore its almost impossible to monitor this and they can then still do the fun rides.. Yes, the results will be null and void, but they will still get to ride the races!!

SO, if they are going to be banned completely, how do the PPA police this?? I would LOVE to see them banned for a LOOOONG time, but how is this monitored??

Edited by FootballingCyclist

So personally, here are my only concerns regarding 1: The Ban from their Club and 2: a Ban from PPA,...........

It is more of a symbolic ban, for all to see that justice is done by the cycling powers that be, but I doubt that it will hurt them too badly, like you said. A criminal case, embarrassment in public, conviction for assault & damage to property, a hefty fine and a criminal record will be a much bigger deterrent for other thugs.

A ban may not stop anyone, there are too many examples of that. But t does make their lives inconvienent.

However, as OSCAR is experiencing now, public exposure has a nasty way of haunting you for life.

they will always be known as cycling hooligans.

MC2 will always be known as the club of township ganstas, just like other clubs/teams will always be tained (rightly or wrongly) with doping. All because one or two members did the deed and club/team was slow in condemning it.

SO, if they are going to be banned completely, how do the PPA police this?? I would LOVE to see them banned for a LOOOONG time, but how is this monitored??

Racetec chips and profiles are issued in personal names. No chip, no PPA activities, no PPA times and thus no point to PPA membership.

So personally, here are my only concerns regarding 1: The Ban from their Club and 2: a Ban from PPA,

1> What then stops these guys from just going on to join another club if ALL clubs arent made aware of who these ........ ok to stay on the hub il say, who theseThugs are?? And

2> I know its almost impossible to monitor this, but what stops these guys from participating in the PPA events?? All they do is they do not register online and just register as a late entry on the day!! There are soooo many who do this, therefore its almost impossible to monitor this and they can then still do the fun rides.. Yes, the results will be null and void, but they will still get to ride the races!!

As far as the PPA goes, anyone banned will not receive a number and their chip will be flagged so it will be known they are riding a timed event. In addition, marshals will be aware and are pretty observant. In addition, the cycling community does have responsibility to flag the guys should they ignore the ban. Yes, they may do the odd ride but not the "big" rides and without results.

Racetec chips and profiles are issued in personal names. No chip, no PPA activities, no PPA times and thus no point to PPA membership.

Precisely and as much as they can enter late on the day with temp numbers these will be chaps who are regular racers and losing their seeding and ability to race their own groups with timing will put them off racing with the backmarkers of the temp bunch and their temp numbers with no times.