Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

We have no reason to believe they are not law abiding citizens.

except for a 59 sec video clip and a three line post on twitter/facebook. No, they are very law abiding.

Edited by Witkop

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I am not surprised. I was intending to post this week anyway regarding cyclists and a complete lack of manners. For some context I was a road rider for 8 years and have been a mountain biker for about 12. Recently we have noticed a huge increase in the number of rude, belligerent riders on the Braamfontein spruit.

As a father of young kids, our group often does kiddies rides along the spruit and more and more we see mountain bikers screaming at the little kids riding, the walkers, and the dogs. The residents have started taking real exception to the riders, and speaking to a walker on Sunday after two riders had come past and literally pushed my 8 year old off the trail because he was too slow, the walker (who also happens to be a mountain biker) told me of incidents where riders have barged people off the path, assaulted the residents, and in one instance even broken the arm of a woman when they pushed her off the path.

Seriously? On the spruit? This route is well-known for walkers, and leisure riders. Myself and my group of friends have never seen it as a hardcore training ride, and certainly would never treat fellow outdoor enthusiasts in this manner.

It is honestly time that cyclists started to show some respect. I do agree that cars have taken riders out, but we ALL see riders out on the roads 3 and 4 abreast on single carriage ways.

Respect goes BOTH ways, and when motorists start to intentionally push cyclists off the road, or when walkers set their dogs on us, or even build fences to keep us out, or actively attack riders (not just verbally but physically too) we will all act surprised and shocked, and shake our heads at the "terrible situation in this country" but we should all look back on this, and other incidents as the beginnings of attacks against cyclists.

Seriously guys, enjoy riding, esp on kiddies and beginners trails, go be aggro where we don't have to share trails, and RESPECT other people.

I hope these guys get a solid jail sentence, they, and others, make all of us, and the community that has BUILT rides like the spruit look bad.

These rude cyclists on the spruit should be ashamed of yourselves. Swearing at my 12 year old and forcing an 8 year old off the path. I greeted these 2 riders at the top of the hill and they ignored me. This goes out to the women in the swazi frontier cycling shirt. You are lucky i was not around when this happened.

Thank you Eskom for taking all the attention away from us cyclists ...now no one will give a damn if we ride upside down naked in the middle of the road ...everyone is to busy getting upset with eskom......

Personally I am not surprised. I was intending to post this week anyway regarding cyclists and a complete lack of manners. For some context I was a road rider for 8 years and have been a mountain biker for about 12. Recently we have noticed a huge increase in the number of rude, belligerent riders on the Braamfontein spruit.

As a father of young kids, our group often does kiddies rides along the spruit and more and more we see mountain bikers screaming at the little kids riding, the walkers, and the dogs. The residents have started taking real exception to the riders, and speaking to a walker on Sunday after two riders had come past and literally pushed my 8 year old off the trail because he was too slow, the walker (who also happens to be a mountain biker) told me of incidents where riders have barged people off the path, assaulted the residents, and in one instance even broken the arm of a woman when they pushed her off the path.

Seriously? On the spruit? This route is well-known for walkers, and leisure riders. Myself and my group of friends have never seen it as a hardcore training ride, and certainly would never treat fellow outdoor enthusiasts in this manner.

It is honestly time that cyclists started to show some respect. I do agree that cars have taken riders out, but we ALL see riders out on the roads 3 and 4 abreast on single carriage ways.

Respect goes BOTH ways, and when motorists start to intentionally push cyclists off the road, or when walkers set their dogs on us, or even build fences to keep us out, or actively attack riders (not just verbally but physically too) we will all act surprised and shocked, and shake our heads at the "terrible situation in this country" but we should all look back on this, and other incidents as the beginnings of attacks against cyclists.

Seriously guys, enjoy riding, esp on kiddies and beginners trails, go be aggro where we don't have to share trails, and RESPECT other people.

I hope these guys get a solid jail sentence, they, and others, make all of us, and the community that has BUILT rides like the spruit look bad.

THEY CALLED SPRUIT STRAVA RATS THEY NOT CYCLISTS THEY ARE A SPECIAL BREED ON THERE OWN :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

DIPS RUNS

Here's a hypothetical scenario for those of you still committed to this thread.

Straight up. What would be your response if the cycling mates you have are out on a ride with you and your bunch is say 20 strong. You're doing final prep for your full effort at a fast race. It's the weekend before and you're riding a recce race pace effort on the course. You enter the final 10 km stretch and start upping the pace. A Toyota Quantum carrying a bunch of kids starts hooting behind you as you cycle through a single lane road on your approach towards a section of road that becomes a dual carriage piece. It is not safe for the van to overtake your group as the road is too narrow for him to get by safely even if you ride in single file. For safety reasons you choose not to and remove the option for him to try. You're happily cruising along at a similar speed to motorized traffic along the stretch anyway. The van keeps hooting and the driver and his cohorts are hurling abuse at being held up. You enter the dual carriage piece traveling at close to the speed limit for vehicular traffic in the left lane and the van pulls alongside on your right. The side door opens and a bunch of teenagers start throwing water bombs at you from point blank range. Expletives are exchanged and then the driver decides to show your group what he thinks about being held up by squeezing the group as he begins to deliberately veer left into your group and then completely brake checks you with his abs equipped vehicle, putting your entire cycle group into PROPER danger. Who here climbs off their bike and calmly proceeds to have a civil discussion with the driver and his cronies about the situation at this point??

Soooo "Pepper spraying" into a van, that according to you had children in, is responding to the situation in a civil manner?

Just on another note, can't find the screenshot but will post as soon as I get it... MC2 put up a post on Facebook 5 mins after the incident saying something in the line of:

"Today a driver got what he deserved, it will teach them not to mess with us MC2 guys."

Soooo "Pepper spraying" into a van, that according to you had children in, is responding to the situation in a civil manner?

Just on another note, can't find the screenshot but will post as soon as I get it... MC2 put up a post on Facebook 5 mins after the incident saying something in the line of:

"Today a driver got what he deserved, it will teach them not to mess with us MC2 guys."

That's old news - read the thread and dismount from your high horse. You didn't answer the question posed. Please do so before asking your own.

This is hypothetical remember. What would you have done if your life had been endangered by the van driver in the manner suggested. If it was like that I think many people may well have understandably reacted in exactly the same way as the cyclists did. in fact, their behaviour could even be seen as self defence. If they had not perhaps the van and its occupant would have continued to endanger their lives.

If it was nothing like that, their reaction was probably excessive.

I am looking forward to hearing the full other side of the story as should everyone else.

That was a comment on their facebook page status, not a status of MCC.....Their status at the time was highlighting an incident that took place that morning on Smutswinkel....

What would you do???

I would pull out my camera phone make a video of what the van and its occupents are doing? then I would procede to get pictures of all in the van. Head to the nearest police station and lay a charge of assault for the very least, maybe even road rage and negligent driving

What would you do???

I would pull out my camera phone make a video of what the van and its occupents are doing? then I would procede to get pictures of all in the van. Head to the nearest police station and lay a charge of assault for the very least, maybe even road rage and negligent driving

All of this while you are trying to stay upright on your bike / chasing the van down? :huh:

That's old news - read the thread and dismount from your high horse. You didn't answer the question posed. Please do so before asking your own.

This is hypothetical remember. What would you have done if your life had been endangered by the van driver in the manner suggested. If it was like that I think many people may well have understandably reacted in exactly the same way as the cyclists did. in fact, their behaviour could even be seen as self defence. If they had not perhaps the van and its occupant would have continued to endanger their lives.

If it was nothing like that, their reaction was probably excessive.

I am looking forward to hearing the full other side of the story as should everyone else.

Wow - Dismount from your high horse?

Taking in account the "hypothetical case", I asked how do you get from that [civil discussion] to the evidence we have [guys beating the driver]? Hypothetically I can state anything, but it actually has not ground to stand on. Does anything in that hypothetical statement justify what happened or are we saying that, If that happened to you, would you take action in the way they did?

Or am I making it difficult for you to follow my train of thought, being on my high horse and all?

Wow - Dismount from your high horse?

Taking in account the "hypothetical case", I asked how do you get from that [civil discussion] to the evidence we have [guys beating the driver]? Hypothetically I can state anything, but it actually has not ground to stand on. Does anything in that hypothetical statement justify what happened or are we saying that, If that happened to you, would you take action in the way they did?

Or am I making it difficult for you to follow my train of thought, being on my high horse and all?

No I think I am having trouble following your English. And reading Tubehunters post again, I think you didn't understand his English.

Edited by Headshot

No I think I am having trouble following your English.

Classic, no idea what to say so you give some crappy 1998 internet comeback.

Stay pro bro :clap: