Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Not sure if it's been reported here yet without having to read through, but two of the guys spent the night in jail

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anselm

A ban may not stop anyone, there are too many examples of that. But t does make their lives inconvienent.

However, as OSCAR is experiencing now, public exposure has a nasty way of haunting you for life.

they will always be known as cycling hooligans.

MC2 will always be known as the club of township ganstas, just like other clubs/teams will always be tained (rightly or wrongly) with doping. All because one or two members did the deed and club/team was slow in condemning it.

I think that they are regretting what they did. It is a big embrasment for the cycling community. I am sure that something of the likes of a two year ban will be a big deterenrt for the more serious riders and that may lead to them working extra hard to keep the rest of their group in check.

I doubt that sanction would satisfy either the victim or the rabid anti-cycling public.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the victims get all the justice they deserve, just trying to put a positive spin on this.

This is going to be the same as real tragedies with cycling (where people have actually lost their lives), it will be in the news for 4 days max, massive outrage and then forgotten.

The public's attention span is not that long and the Oscar trial is just getting started. Doubt there will be any bans, sanctions, legal claims, criminal claims or any action really.

iRide4Burry - lost but never forgotten!!

It would be good to hear the other side of the story as to how it all started. If it was an enclosed panelvan how and who and when did the passengers spray / pelt the cyclists from the back? Were they driving with the back doors open? Did they do it earlier while picking up the sachets?

Or have I got it wrong?

It would be good to hear the other side of the story as to how it all started. If it was an enclosed panelvan how and who and when did the passengers spray / pelt the cyclists from the back? Were they driving with the back doors open? Did they do it earlier while picking up the sachets?

Or have I got it wrong?

Probably

But its being dealt with by the police and the cycling body and the cycling club, so no need for us to worry.

They appear in court shortly, so more stories will come out there.

So personally, here are my only concerns regarding 1: The Ban from their Club and 2: a Ban from PPA,

1> What then stops these guys from just going on to join another club if ALL clubs arent made aware of who these ........ ok to stay on the hub il say, who theseThugs are?? And

2> I know its almost impossible to monitor this, but what stops these guys from participating in the PPA events?? All they do is they do not register online and just register as a late entry on the day!! There are soooo many who do this, therefore its almost impossible to monitor this and they can then still do the fun rides.. Yes, the results will be null and void, but they will still get to ride the races!!

SO, if they are going to be banned completely, how do the PPA police this?? I would LOVE to see them banned for a LOOOONG time, but how is this monitored??

Surely PPA/CSA/RACETEC/CHAMPIONCHIP who all work with ID numbers can flag their systems for banned riders. This would immediately prevent them from entering races or joining affiliated clubs. Theoretically they could "gate-crash" races but they would never receive an official result. Just a thought.

Shameful behaviour. And it has caused a LOT of damage to all our reputations, sadly. :-(

Probably

But its being dealt with by the police and the cycling body and the cycling club, so no need for us to worry.

They appear in court shortly, so more stories will come out there.

Agree, no need for us to speculate. Fact of the matter is that cycling's reputation took a knock and I will be extra careful going out on the road again. I have also decided that my training days on the road are over. I will focus on riding my mountainbike and will only enter closed road races. Just have to get through the last couple of weeks before IMSA and that will be that for my road cycling. Have been feeling especially unsafe on the road since December and this incident will not help...or rather the possibility of increased hostility from motorists.

Where does it say that the conduct shown in this video will result in the ban from the sport at all?

As far as i'm aware Its a criminal matter first and then a civil matter thereafter. I'm pretty sure the PPA wont have any leg to stand on in this regard as they were not participating in any sanctioned event.... as a club and community however, sanction needs to apply through cancelling membership and word of mouth.

Just to clarify, I find this conduct disgusting and hope the full extend of our justice system prevails.... but i'm affraid to say if that fails, there will unlikely be further recourse.

Edited by Paulst12

Where does it say that the conduct shown in this video will result in the ban from the sport at all?

As far as i'm aware Its a criminal matter first and then a civil matter thereafter. I'm pretty sure the PPA wont have any leg to stand on in this regard as they were not participating in any sanctioned event.... as a club and community however, sanction needs to apply through cancelling membership and word of mouth.

Just to clarify, I find this conduct disgusting and hope the full extend of our justice system prevails.... but i'm affraid to say if that fails, there will unlikely be further recourse.

They can be banned from PPA organised/sanctioned events. CSA can do the same

Most riders nowdays are liscensed with the CSA. That means they fall under the control of the CSA. If somebody brings the sport into disrepute, the CSA does have a right to sanction them in some or other way.

With all the press regarding this, I'm pretty sure they will be pressured to have some sort of disaplinary hearing.

If they are not liscenced, then there is nothing CSA can do.

They can be banned from PPA organised/sanctioned events. CSA can do the same

Dont think they can. That would be like saying PPA & CSA can ban you for jumping a red light... breaking the law in both instances (in my opion they should be able to for both!!!)

Dont think they can. That would be like saying PPA & CSA can ban you for jumping a red light... breaking the law in both instances (in my opion they should be able to for both!!!)

This particular cycling club received 96 Argus Entries paid by the PPA this year. I am pretty sure that even if that funding was withdrawn, the point would hit home

This particular cycling club received 96 Argus Entries paid by the PPA this year. I am pretty sure that even if that funding was withdrawn, the point would hit home

Yup. But then its penalizing the masses for the actions of a few?

I just checked the CSA constitution and didnt find anything that applies to actiions outside of the sport itself.

http://www.cyclingsa.com/rules-and-regulations.aspx#45

Anyway will be interesting to see how this is handled, and hopefully sets a decent example to all and sundry?