Garmin - Disappointed

djsam

Just thought i would voice my disappointment in Garmin, not sure if this is just Garmin SA or a worldwide thing,

It seems they are not prepared to replace a Li-on Battery for the Garmin 500 , you have to pay +- R1300 to get a new/refurbished unit and wait +- 7 working days for this process,

The cost of a battery for this unit is no more than

http://www.batterybay.net/v/vspfiles/templates/58/images/clear1x1.gif http://www.batterybay.net/v/vspfiles/templates/58/images/clear1x1.gif http://www.batterybay.net/v/vspfiles/templates/58/images/clear1x1.gif Battery for Garmin Edge 200, Edge 205, Edge 500

List Price: $22.87

Our Price: $17.79

Total joke if you ask my opinion... if anyone knows a better solution bar the usual, get a Bryton etc, i would appreciate it I am having a sense of humor failure! lol

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm soooooo glad you posted this... I was just about to ask how i go about getting a new 1 or who i can contact with regards to this...

I have a Garmin Edge 500... Im not sure off hand what they say the battery life is, but mine is worse than my Blackberry.. I charge the unit over night and when i wake up to go ride its 0n 100% which is perfect, but if i do a 4 to 5 hour training ride on the Saturday, then the Sunday morning my battery is less than 10%!!!

Now im pretty sure it doesnt have a full battery span of like 5 hours!! Anyone else have this issue and who can i take it up with??

Sorry for the hi-jack djsam :oops:

Can't you do it yourself?

Involves a little more, than. just opening it or I would.. from what I have seen online. some soldering etc. Thinking this is why it is just easier to do swop outs for them, just think R1 300 is a bit excessive... never mind +- 7 days!

Haven't had any experience with the Li-on battery but I have changed the battery in my cadence sensor and HR transmitter. The cost was R13.00 for a new battery. DIY.

Hello Guys

I have a 800 which last atleast 3 long rides.. if not a weeks worth between 8 - 14 hours on total ride time.

Another add to your complaint is the cost of a map pack for the 800 which is not included cost R1000... LOL

Seems like when it comes to Garmin it must be above R1000

Just my 2 cents

Hello Guys

I have a 800 which last atleast 3 long rides.. if not a weeks worth between 8 - 14 hours on total ride time.

Another add to your complaint is the cost of a map pack for the 800 which is not included cost R1000... LOL

Seems like when it comes to Garmin it must be above R1000

Just my 2 cents

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html ,not saying I used this, but it could be your answer :ph34r:

Involves a little more, than. just opening it or I would.. from what I have seen online. some soldering etc. Thinking this is why it is just easier to do swop outs for them, just think R1 300 is a bit excessive... never mind +- 7 days!

Do it now and take advantage of all the rain.

Doubt you riding in these wet conditions.

There's apparently some story with opening these devices.

I wanted the screen on my 800 replaced and they said that they couldn't do it due to the unit being pressurised or something like that.

But if you can do it yourself, you'll have your 1st customer (FootballingCyclist)

I'm soooooo glad you posted this... I was just about to ask how i go about getting a new 1 or who i can contact with regards to this...

I have a Garmin Edge 500... Im not sure off hand what they say the battery life is, but mine is worse than my Blackberry.. I charge the unit over night and when i wake up to go ride its 0n 100% which is perfect, but if i do a 4 to 5 hour training ride on the Saturday, then the Sunday morning my battery is less than 10%!!!

Now im pretty sure it doesnt have a full battery span of like 5 hours!! Anyone else have this issue and who can i take it up with??

Sorry for the hi-jack djsam :oops:

Battery should last longer than that. I find that I can do 3 day stage race without charging and still have some battery left. Longest single ride I've done is 12 hours and battery wasn't flat.

Haven't had any experience with the Li-on battery but I have changed the battery in my cadence sensor and HR transmitter. The cost was R13.00 for a new battery. DIY.

yeah this is a pretty simple process done this in the past.

here's the problem though

"The battery is glued to the inside of the back case."

yip they say you can get it undone, however apparently the battery is also attached to the speaker, you have to cut the wires / or solder the wires.