AmaShova 2014

Dazshell

Does anybody have plans for a very early leg loosener on Saturday morning?

I'm an "out-of-towner" and would ideally like to do around 50-60kms. I'm staying at the Suncoast Towers but need to be back at the hotel around 07:30ish...

If you bring me coffee ill join you ....

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Advice please from thoise "in the know"

94.7 : roads are a disaster, metal shavings, glass etc. So I go with a bullet proof, puncture proof and bomb proof tyre

Argus : Roads are relatively clean so you can risk going with a fast racing tyre with less worries about punctures etc

Where does Shova fit in on this point. Kind of leaning to the puncture resistant tyres just to be safe. But want a good time. Sub 3 or better is the target so tyres make a difference.

94.7 : roads are a disaster, metal shavings, glass etc. So I go with a bullet proof, puncture proof and bomb proof tyre

Argus : Roads are relatively clean so you can risk going with a fast racing tyre with less worries about punctures etc

Where does Shova fit in on this point. Kind of leaning to the puncture resistant tyres just to be safe. But want a good time. Sub 3 or better is the target so tyres make a difference.

IMO if the tyres are in very good condition you should be fine.

I use GP4000S tyres in my races and I've never had a problem (puncture).

It also depends if it rains as rain can wash crap all over the road.

In my experience, no tyre is puncture proof.

The road is generally very good all the way through. There are a couple of patchy areas, especially in the Camperdown/Cato Ridge area, but these few sections are short and really not too bad. The rest of the course is essentially fast and smooth. Go with your fast race tyres.

Weather forecast: 

Accuweather still showing R-L crosswinds for the course, but it doesn't look like the wind will be that strong. It also looks like it will be a nice warm day, even with lots of cloud cover and maybe a small chance of the odd scattered rain cloud here or there.

I think it's going to be a nice day for racing :).

That's optimistic.

I'm quoting Yahoo for weather and windguru for winds

PMB 18-29C

DBN 18-29C

crosswinds in the early morning and against us later.

I hope they wrong .... :wacko:

Registration done and dusted!!!

Got reseeded from "BB" batch to "D" batch!

Nice! If I may, on MTB or Road results?

I'm a spearo (spearfisherman) and long ago gave up on Windguru. Generally all over the place and not often accurate.

At the coast I rely on bouyweather, windfinder and magic seaweed. 

But inland (Pinetown - PMB) I have found Accuweather to be very reliable for my weekend riding forecasts. Spot on most of the time.

Here is Accuweather's forecast for Pinetown, which is about 3/4 along the course.

• Warm (for inlanders it's going to feel a lot warmer than 30 degrees with the humidity - more like 35 degrees).
  • Crosswinds, but not very strong (actually might end up being very welcome at those temps).
  • Re. the headwind at the end, I agree, when the land heats up that signals the E wind cranking up (headwind into DBN).
  • But like I say, good racing weather :)

post-22004-0-95646100-1412862883_thumb.jpg

I'm a spearo (spearfisherman) and long ago gave up on Windguru. Generally all over the place and not often accurate.

At the coast I rely on bouyweather, windfinder and magic seaweed. 

But inland (Pinetown - PMB) I have found Accuweather to be very reliable for my weekend riding forecasts. Spot on most of the time.

Here is Accuweather's forecast for Pinetown, which is about 3/4 along the course.

• Warm (for inlanders it's going to feel a lot warmer than 30 degrees with the humidity - more like 35 degrees).
  • Crosswinds, but not very strong (actually might end up being very welcome at those temps).
  • Re. the headwind at the end, I agree, when the land heats up that signals the E wind cranking up (headwind into DBN).
  • But like I say, good racing weather :)

Yip, agreed.  Windguru is the pits.  Follow what the man says.  Far better chance of a correct forecast.

We stopped using WG a long time ago due to inaccuracy.  Weather Underground is also an option.

(Sorry for mini-hijack)

...and what time is that?

I am also 8:14.. We did not do any races with timing chips or that counted for seeding.. But we are 4 guys from our area.. hoping for 2:50 +-

Edited by Rooi Vlam