Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

Happened to be outside said shop yesterday and commented to the Mrs that there's a shop that would probably fleece us more than the noobs at Cycle Lab had tried the day before (where we did buy the bike we wanted as opposed to the one they wanted to sell us...), so was mildly amused at last night's CB expose...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:offtopic: Looks like this be hittin' 125 pages before EOB today! If this was a youtube video, would have had all sorts of endorsement deals :)

Just to quote myself from this morning... come on guys, it's almost EOB and only half a page to go!!!! :clap:

Carte Blanche was good, but I was disappointed not to see them being lead away in handcuffs at the end of the clip. They deserve 2 square meals a day and accommodation at taxpayer expense.

Still think not much will come of this.OP may get his money back but by next week Carte Blanche will have another story,the Hub will be bitching about something else and the shop will still be doing business .( just not selling many Pinarello).There is the Hub world and then the Real world.I'm surprised that in the real world there is very little interest in this story.If you go to Carte Blanche FB page there are only a handful of comments.All commenting on how crazy it is to spend that much money on a bike,to cyclists should stay off the road.Nothing about a dodgy store.Joe public doesn't care about this.

Bruce Foulis is the agent for Pinarello in South Africa. He confirmed with the Italian manufacturer that Andrew’s bike was nothing more than a cheap Chinese knock-off.

Bruce: “R91k for a fake bicycle is a lot of money to pay – essentially that bicycle is worthless.”

The real deal would have cost between R150 000 and R160 000.

hmm, though we established that the dogma AA bought was ~R100k RRP

is this higher estimate due to the rand tanking since then?

In the light of the recent Carte Blanche report, ASG and Pinarello S.P.A denounce the practice of selling fake Pinarello bicycles. If you would like to confirm that your Pinarello is indeed authentic, contact winston@asgworld.co.za and supply us with the serial no (located under the bottom bracket) of your bike for verification with Pinarello in Italy.

We are continuously working towards identifying the suppliers of fake Pinarello bicycles. We would like to remind parties participating in this illegal practice that it is a criminal offence and that we will not hesitate to pursue legal action against such parties.

Regards

ASG Team

Still think not much will come of this.OP may get his money back but by next week Carte Blanche will have another story,the Hub will be bitching about something else and the shop will still be doing business .( just not selling many Pinarello).There is the Hub world and then the Real world.I'm surprised that in the real world there is very little interest in this story.If you go to Carte Blanche FB page there are only a handful of comments.All commenting on how crazy it is to spend that much money on a bike,to cyclists should stay off the road.Nothing about a dodgy store.Joe public doesn't care about this.

Crime seems to be easier than the Epic.

"Joe Public isn't a cyclist". Cycling noobs will be warned off CS, nobody wants to spend their hard earned cash with a bunch of crooks. Other bike stores will warn their clients to warn their friends not to buy anything at CS. The cycling industry is small. It may take longer than a week to filter through, but eventually the penny will fall, HARD.

Guest EdEdEd

Or a Dogma :whistling:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/babyISWYDT.gif

hmm, though we established that the dogma AA bought was ~R100k RRP

is this higher estimate due to the rand tanking since then?

in part yes as the majority of new stock has had a 30-35% increase. The earlier estimate was way off imo. Edited by Spoke101

In the light of the recent Carte Blanche report, ASG and Pinarello S.P.A denounce the practice of selling fake Pinarello bicycles. If you would like to confirm that your Pinarello is indeed authentic, contact winston@asgworld.co.za and supply us with the serial no (located under the bottom bracket) of your bike for verification with Pinarello in Italy.

We are continuously working towards identifying the suppliers of fake Pinarello bicycles. We would like to remind parties participating in this illegal practice that it is a criminal offence and that we will not hesitate to pursue legal action against such parties.

Regards

ASG Team

What will happen to SC?

Guest EdEdEd

Regards

ASG Team

Question: What if CS now goes and makes a copy of a actually used serial number and plaks it on their fake frame?

The question that should be asked is how much money has Pinarello (and ASG) lost due to the actions of CS? All those customers who were sold fakes would have purchased genuine Pinarello's if they had known.