Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

Sadly I have not been able get a refund from Cycle Science (CS) for the fake frame and accessories I purchased from them. In fact, if anything their newfound notoriety has emboldened them. The sky hasn’t fallen. This is what CS proposed: initial cost of the fake bike R91,000 less R51,000 for Campag Record EPS, less R,1,500 for saddle (which is fake but they insist otherwise), less R1,000 for two tyres and tubes. Proposed refund R37,500. (The attorney on record for CS did not respond to emails enquiring whether he was still the attorney on record. I know you couldn't make this up, it is like a parallel universe.)

The insouciance with which they presented this offer, once again, a handwritten note with arbitrary numbers scribbled on it, shows for some at least, crime does indeed does pay. The fact that it can be business as usual after their scam is exposed in the media demonstrates that the wheels of commercial law turn slowly if at all. On the face of it, it seems it is up to the individual or companies to pursue illegal business practices while the state does nothing unless prodded to do so.

I disagree, in part, with one comment on this forum that says, South Africa should forget about fraudulent sale and worry about bigger problems. (I am not saying we shouldn’t tackle the other problems he highlighted in his post.) But if the authorities do not proactively enforce commercial law and intellectual property rights we can expect an ineluctable decline in honest businesses. How can they compete? Even in this post a large number of people suggested I should have known better and stop being a crybaby. The victim of a crime is somehow complicit in defrauding himself.

Some have suggested that I should go to the police and lay a charge. Besides the fact that I am in Amsterdam, why should I have to? Has no member of the police force read the posts on The Hub or seen the perpetrators of a blatant fraud on TV? Don't police have a duty to catch criminals; surely it is in their job description? “Catch baddies”. Perhaps as Mr. Corleoni said to me in this post, we should shut up and let crime pay; John and Robbie have families to feed.

Bunch of twats.. jissie makes me so mad.

Obviously what is happening is they can't haul out the cash so are trying you to agree to a lesser refund to help their cash flow..they probably figure that you don't need the money so they will drag this out until you eventually either settle on their proposed amount or forget about it.

Time to look at all the possible things you can nail them with.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So they refund you for the fake stuff? Its a confession of guilt and they are still trying to justify.

I do however think there is some legitimacy to the offer. As far as I understand you transfered the Campag groupset to the new bike? So do they have to refund you for the groupset then? You must just make sure they got the price right. The rest of the stuff you are returning to them, so it should be a refund for everything except the groupset.

If I understand the space between the lines in ASG's latest post, they will take CS to court and have indeed offered there help to guys like you who were scammed! CS will pay, for sure.

All the best Andrew. I appreciate you keeping is posted.

Edited by Maniax

Some have suggested that I should go to the police and lay a charge. Besides the fact that I am in Amsterdam, why should I have to? Has no member of the police force read the posts on The Hub or seen the perpetrators of a blatant fraud on TV? Don't police have a duty to catch criminals; surely it is in their job description? “Catch baddies”.

Andrew

I understand how you feel, but there is a reason for laying a charge as opposed to letting them get on with the job of catching baddies.

A police investigation is the first step in a process that ultimately leads to prossecution in the courts.

Without a complainant willing to testify in a fraud case such as this, it is becomes very difficult for the prosecutors to build a case so the cops are not likely to pursue it, as it may lead to nothing.

Even if it is a schlep, lay a charge upon your return and get your mate to do likewise. It tells the cops and prosecuting authority that you are serious about the matter and provides them with the first witnesses for the prosecution.

If nothing else it gives you a formal interest in the investigation and allows you to hassle them for progress.

Like Lance, Tiger and Oscar, Just do it !

My 2c...Mr Armstrong you have been diddled by these guys. How many others have suffered the same scam but either did not know, or were too scared to come forward? The question is, should you lay charges? In my mind the obvious choice is yes. If you dont, they get away with a crime. But it is a long and bumpy road, never pleasant and at the end of the day, if you go the way of the court, costly too.

I do not believe crime of any kind should go unpunished, but give it some serious thought...you may be saving many other people from a similar ordeal...or go the way of a bigger and better man and maybe demand a public apology in return for no charges to be laid. Ultimately it is your call.

I can assure you this...their local suppliers could care less about the fuss, as long as they get paid come month end.

It is a tough decision, but believe me, they are not sleeping at night knowing you hold all the power here. Use it wisely.

And another thing, just like dopers should give up their suppliers, CS should name the person painting these bikes (if he/she is local) as they are in my opinion just as guilty. I personally do not believe they are painted in their country of origin. Expose the whole rotten bunch.

And another thing, just like dopers should give up their suppliers, CS should name the person painting these bikes (if he/she is local) as they are in my opinion just as guilty. I personally do not believe they are painted in their country of origin. Expose the whole rotten bunch.

They come out of the factory painted in the scheme of choice.

Buy your frame and with a margin of >1000% preferred shipping would have it here in a few days.....

@Eddy...thats mind boggling. I never would have thought they would spray them in the factory. Especially coming through customs branded.

1. Some have suggested that I should go to the police and lay a charge. Besides the fact that I am in Amsterdam, why should I have to?

Howdy Andy,

1. The police wouldn't get involved, unfortunately. Instead they would redirect you to your attorney, You have a civil claim against CS for undue enrichment, and additional recourse to the (toothless) Consumer Commisssion, in terms of the Consumer Protection Act.

Sweltering day in Cape Town. I'm off for a quick spin up Chappies and the last swim of summer before the weather changes.

Edited by Brogue

Guest Karma

So, just to be clear, was Andrews frame fake or grey?