is this a hubber?

Louzy

So what you're saying is that the (red light) law applies to everyone else EXCEPT YOU on your bike cos the law's an ass? Nice one.

I didn't say anything of the sort, I asked 5 questions.... which YOU haven't answered. Look before you leap Nonks.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you, and understand your view, but have a few questions?

What constitutes "jumping a red light"?.

1. Simply riding through without slowing down in normal traffic flow?, Yes it is an offense

2. Slowing down considerably but still riding through, when others are stopped? Yes it is an offense

3. Slowing down considerably but still riding on, when nobody else is around? Yes it is an offense

4. Stopping first and then riding through when (a) there are no cars, and/or (b) the pressure plate hasn't activated for 3hrs? Yes it is an offense

5. Turning left? Yes it is an offense

One size doesn't fit all, IMHO. A bike isn't a taxi, and a taxi ain't a bike. And "the law is the law" in the absolute sense, doesn't wash as an argument. Sometimes the law is a horse's ass.

Edit: Urrrrghh, spelling

If there is no-one around get off your bike and walk through the pedestrian crossing and get back on and ride. That is not an offense.

If there is no-one around get off your bike and walk through the pedestrian crossing and get back on and ride. That is not an offense.

:lol: Look whose being PC in fear of being flamed.

I didn't ask if these were offences, I asked what was reasonable or unreasonable considering the circumstances. As I said, the law isn't the law in the absolute sense.

I'd like to see you "get off your bike and push it through an intersection when nobody else is around". That's just the most comical thing I have heard, and probably even more dangerous than riding it through. Yes I know you'll swear blindly you follow the horse's ass blindly everyday, but we all know it isn't true. :D

Eish!

Good for law enforcement.

Sadly the cop is probably only looking for a "spot fine".

:lol: Look whose being PC in fear of being flamed.

I didn't ask if these were offences, I asked what was reasonable or unreasonable considering the circumstances. As I said, the law isn't the law in the absolute sense.

I'd like to see you "get off your bike and push it through an intersection when nobody else is around". That's just the most comical thing I have heard, and probably even more dangerous than riding it through. Yes I know you'll swear blindly you follow the horse's ass blindly everyday, but we all know it isn't true. :D

Actually it is. If the light is red stop. Nowhere in the traffic act does it say "If the light is red stop only if..."

You should come to Switzerland.....but then I suppose if I saw it happen (a few times) then it cannot be classed as "nobody else around"

Another thing I see a lot which is also a bit spinneli but its the law.... cyclists getting off their bike to walk across a pedestrian crossing.... a lot motorists won't stop for cyclists if they stay on their bikes and wait at a pedestrian crossing, but the minute they get off everyone stops and waits for them to cross...

You should come to Switzerland.....but then I suppose if I saw it happen (a few times) then it cannot be classed as "nobody else around"

Another thing I see a lot which is also a bit spinneli but its the law.... cyclists getting off their bike to walk across a pedestrian crossing.... a lot motorists won't stop for cyclists if they stay on their bikes and wait at a pedestrian crossing, but the minute they get off everyone stops and waits for them to cross...

Alas, not many people (i.e almost nobody) stops at pedestrian crossing in SA, whether you're walking or riding. You could be walking on your hands for all they care. I run along the beach twice daily, and cross to the promenade at the pedestrian crossing right in front of my house, but cars coming from both directions speed along merrily without a care in the world.

Actually it is. If the light is red stop. Nowhere in the traffic act does it say "If the light is red stop only if..."

Again, I'm attempting to establish what is reasonable given the 5 sets of circumstances, not what constitutes an offence. If you feel the law is absolute, you're a sheep. Have you purchased an e-Toll tag? If not, why not? That too is "an absolute law".

Alas, not many people (i.e almost nobody) stops at pedestrian crossing in SA, whether you're walking or riding. You could be walking on your hands for all they care. I run along the beach twice daily, and cross to the promenade at the pedestrian crossing right in front of my house, but cars coming from both directions speed along merrily without a care in the world.

Yep ... sad.

Law enforcement should start with the small stuff like this and it will have a positive ripple effect on other laws

Again, I'm attempting to establish what is reasonable given the 5 sets of circumstances, not what constitutes an offence. If you feel the law is absolute, you're a sheep. Have you purchased an e-Toll tag? If not, why not? That too is "an absolute law".

Stopping at a red traffic light IS an "absolute".

If cyclists can jump red lights when they see fit or in their discretion, why not cars, taxis, buses, trucks etc.?

Taxis obviously feel that the law is a sheep and thus not absolutely applicable to them...

Edited by nonky

Jumping a red light without slowing down is not a offence IF you think you are not going to be able to bring your bike / car safely to a standstill before the line.

Stopping at a red traffic light IS an "absolute".

If cyclists can jump red lights when they see fir or in their discretion, why not cars, taxis, buses, trucks etc.?

Taxis obviously feel that the law is a sheep and thus not absolutely applicable to them...

So I stop at your red light, at 4.30am on a cold Sunday morning. There are no other cars around, but I wait. and I wait, and I wait, and wait. The traffic light in question is activated by a pressure plate, which I'm too light to set off. What to do?

There is no such thing as absolute, only reasonable and unreasonable. For every rule there is an exception.

There is a huge difference. Not buying an e-Tag is in protest to economic injustice from a corrupt government.

Are you protesting against the traffic act, which in your view is an injustice to cyclists, by running red lights?

I think we can all agree that it is acceptable and reasonable to roll through a red light, after checking for a safe crossing, with no cars at the intersection.

*clears throat*

Again, I'm attempting to establish what is reasonable given the 5 sets of circumstances, not what constitutes an offence. If you feel the law is absolute, you're a sheep. Have you purchased an e-Toll tag? If not, why not? That too is "an absolute law". No, it's not. Paying the e-tolls is, not buying a tag. Two separate things.

There is a huge difference. Not buying an e-Tag is in protest to economic injustice from a corrupt government.

Are you protesting against the traffic act, which in your view is an injustice to cyclists, by running red lights?

In a manner of speaking, yes. Stopping and rolling through when:

• it's safe, or
  • no cars are around, or
  • the pressure plate hasn't activated and I feel the onset of hypothermia

is not unreasonable. So mine, and countless others, is a protest against stupid traffic laws which were designed for vehicles and not cyclists.