is this a hubber?

Louzy

I think that to keep yourself safe, do not tempt to create a grey area. This rolling across a red a light when "I" think its safe is the exact same logic that taxi's use.

If you use your common sense and roll through a red light which you perceive to be safe, and there actually is a car coming and it swerves to avoid you, rolls and somebody gets injured.... guess what you will be held liable. There is a law, saying you can break it when it doesn't effect somebody else is logic people use when they steal R5 from a till. "I can take R5 because Zuma steals millions so my offence is so small it doesnt matter". Stealing is stealing. Obviously the severtity carries a different consequence. If you jump a red light during peak traffic chances are you will go splat, so you will not. But jumping a red light is jumping a red light no matter how you try and paint it.

Or: "I only took a little bit of EPO compared to Lance therefore I'm not really a doper". Dude you doped so GTFO.

Its easy, to avoid confusion, just don't jump red lights. If EVERYBODY stopped rolling through red lights, there would be less accidents, fact! The law is there to not allow people who are incompetent or irresponsible the oppertunity to make a stupid decision that can affect my safety.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So just looking at that pic, where did this cyclist skip the red traffic light and why did Sakkie really pull the cyclist over ?

I think that to keep yourself safe, do not tempt to create a grey area. This rolling across a red a light when "I" think its safe is the exact same logic that taxi's use.

If you use your common sense and roll through a red light which you perceive to be safe, and there actually is a car coming and it swerves to avoid you, rolls and somebody gets injured.... guess what you will be held liable. There is a law, saying you can break it when it doesn't effect somebody else is logic people use when they steal R5 from a till. "I can take R5 because Zuma steals millions so my offence is so small it doesnt matter". Stealing is stealing. Obviously the severtity carries a different consequence. If you jump a red light during peak traffic chances are you will go splat, so you will not. But jumping a red light is jumping a red light no matter how you try and paint it.

Or: "I only took a little bit of EPO compared to Lance therefore I'm not really a doper". Dude you doped so GTFO.

Its easy, to avoid confusion, just don't jump red lights. If EVERYBODY stopped rolling through red lights, there would be less accidents, fact! The law is there to not allow people who are incompetent or irresponsible the oppertunity to make a stupid decision that can affect my safety.

My question remains, what happens at 4.30am on a cold Sunday morning when I'm stopped at a pressure plate activated traffic light and there are no other cars around?

Are there any stats available broken down into car, truck, cyclists etc. I'm keen to see how many cyclists are involved in accidents of this nature.

Are there any stats available broken down into car, truck, cyclists etc. I'm keen to see how many cyclists are involved in accidents of this nature.

obviously not, this the hub we make up facts here. *Confession* I'll stop & ride through a red light when safe to do so at 4am whether on a bike or in my car. Edited by milky4130

I also keen to know about 4 way stops, when approaching a busy (or not) 4 way stop in a group, do you stop single file and go through 1 by 1 or go through as a group. A group in excess of 10 will hold up traffic quite a bit as 1 car goes, 1 cyclist goes, 1 car goes, 1 cyclist goes BUT this is the right legal way to do it and motorist will fully understand. :thumbup:

obvioudly not, this the hub we make up facts here. *Confession* I'll stop & ride through a red light when safe to do so at 4am whether on a bike or in my car.

Most do Milky, it's the "reasonable" approach. They just don't admit to it in order to remain virtually pure. Utter drivel, they're the first to roll through the very robots they swear blindly they stop and wait at (whilst a mugger bears down at them at 4am in the morning).

Most do Milky, it's the "reasonable" approach. They just don't admit to it in order to remain virtually pure. Utter drivel, they're the first to roll through the very robots they swear blindly they stop and wait at (whilst a mugger bears down at them at 4am in the morning).

It's called the moral high ground.

These folks don't do anything wrong in their lives, they have stopped striving, perfection has come to them as a gift.

Traffic cops are dickheads , They have two years training : first year they learn to write , the second year they learn to hide.

They will rather pull over a easy offender than a taxi driver. P^^&*sies

a mate sent me this pic this morning, before someone flames me for using a cellphone while driving, of a cyclist being pulled over by a traffic officer just outside Sun Valley for running a red light... seems the cops will take action when they can. anybody on here recognise themselves?

That's PeanutButter :whistling: :ph34r:

It's called the moral high ground.

These folks don't do anything wrong in their lives, they have stopped striving, perfection has come to them as a gift.

So many Mother Theresa's in this world thread. Forgive me folks, I have sinned, and I don't intend to change my errant ways.

My question remains, what happens at 4.30am on a cold Sunday morning when I'm stopped at a pressure plate activated traffic light and there are no other cars around?

Well, obviously, you will remain stationary until the rest of Cape Town wakes up at 7am, get in their cars, drive out to wherever you are stuck, and come activate that pesky pressure plate for you. Capies are very friendly and helpful people. The fact that you'll be wet, hypothermic and by that time most likely likely run over by a young drugged up punk coming home from an all night clubbing spree, is besides the point.

Otherwise you can turn around, go home, eat like a pig, get very fat and come back when you can activate the bloody traffic light yourself in a few years when you weigh as much as a Smart car. Timing is important here, because you want to do one more ride over that pressure plate before dying from the inevitable heart attack.

You will be all law abiding and your orphaned kids will take comfort from the fact that their late dad never did anything illegal. The Hub will also praise you posthumously!

;) (Please note the emoticon, all hot heads)

Out of interest, how big will the fine typically be?

Last time I got a fine for rlj was 2003, it was R500. Probably more now. I expect it's the same for cyclists as it is for motorized vehicles.

Well, obviously, you will remain stationary until the rest of Cape Town wakes up at 7am, get in their cars, drive out to wherever you are stuck, and come activate that pesky pressure plate for you. Capies are very friendly and helpful people. The fact that you'll be wet, hypothermic and by that time most likely likely run over by a young drugged up punk coming home from an all night clubbing spree, is besides the point.

Otherwise you can turn around, go home, eat like a pig, get very fat and come back when you can activate the bloody traffic light yourself in a few years when you weigh as much as a Smart car. Timing is important here, because you want to do one more ride over that pressure plate before dying from the inevitable heart attack.

You will be all law abiding and your orphaned kids will take comfort from the fact that their late dad never did anything illegal. The Hub will also praise you posthumously!

:lol: I'd rather chew broken glass.

I choose to continue rolling through red lights when it's safe to do, despite (and perhaps even because of) the sanctimonious hypocritical gits here that walk on water, and then, somehow, miraculously even turn it into wine for good measure. I'm a badass like that bud. :rolleyes:

The trouble is that no matter how fat you get you will never set off the "pressure plate". As far as I know it is simply a loop of wire embedded in the road that detects the electro-magnetic field of a large metal object. I suppose you could carry a roll of tin foil and then when you get to a red light just stop and unroll it over the sensor area and then the light will change. Hopefully you can roll it up and put it back in your jersey pocket fast enough to set off before the light changes red again, all the while making sure your bike doesn't get stolen as it sits to one side while you do all of this. ;)

I'm good, I'm waiting...post-2128-0-92207600-1398080730.jpg