is this a hubber?

Louzy

I got fined once for jumping (what the retarded policeman in civvie clothes saw as jumping the red light) a red traffic light. then followed me to the cycle shop and kept me there and sent someone to come and fine me! So the guy made the R500 fine out to my dad because I was 16. Luckily I desputed the fine and got it cancelled. I now look twice for the popo before jumping red lights.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This cyclist is still alive,but they had to amputate both his legs. Injury to the people in the vehicle unknown.

Sobering pics No Hare

Lends weight to the concept of making traffic offenders do community service (in addition to other sentencing) i.e. attend the scene of traffic accidents and clean up the mess etc....

I love the way some guys on here keep on justifying cyclists' jumping of red traffic lights by saying taxis are lawless / murderous / unpunished.

Guys, YOU are part of the PROBLEM and spoiling it for the rest of us...just like the roadies who get all aggro with drivers while in a big bunch.

We are ALL subject to ALL the traffic laws and we are ALL viewed as meat popsicles on two wheels by motorists, who wouldn't think twice if they had to choose between colliding with one of us or an oncoming vehicle.

Look at those photos above again and ask yourself whether it's worth it for those 30secs on Strava...

Guest Smimby

What do you deem to be a (1) soft target and (2) a hard target.

I agree with you that the cyclist that jumped that robot was a soft target. But I also appauld the action of the traffic officer in issuing a fine/ warning.

for isn't it true that by jumping that red light the cyclist had the potential to injure someone? Thus becoming a hard target?

I wonder if the cyclist would jump a red light again after receiving that warning/ notice/ fine: hopefully not. If this Soft target keep to the law he becomes a no-target, which is so much better. Isn't it?

All I said was that I wished the traffic cop will also fine taxis! Not ONLY soft targets where he knows he will get his money.

Guest Smimby

This cyclist is still alive,but they had to amputate both his legs. Injury to the people in the vehicle unknown.

So this is a cyclist that jumped a red light????

I wish that traffic cops will get more aggressive towards taxis.

Do yourself a favor and drive that road I mention one morning!

Does anyone have a contact within city administration that may be able to inform me how many taxies compared to cyclists were fined this past year?

Are there specific road rules for cyclists? Clearly all the rules that apply to motorists aren't applicable to cyclists.

I tend to ride my bike more like I'm a pedestrian than like I'm a car, so I stop and check for cars at red lights or stop streets, but if I can cross safely I don't always wait for the light to chenge

Guest Smimby

Does anyone have a contact within city administration that may be able to inform me how many taxies compared to cyclists were fined this past year?

You don't get it hey?

I reported a section off road to the traffic department and they have not do e anything about it.......now you want to get a comparison like that......

I stand by my remark, traffic cops are lazy and only fine people that will pay the fine!

They do not ENFORCE SAFETY!!!! It is all about money making and soft targets.

None, it's easier to pay the dik traffic cop a bribe for his next meal.

I tweeted a pic of two Northcliff guys who jumped several red robots last weekend on the way to the cradle, and I was shocked by how many people where pissed at me for doing so. Replies ranged from "Why expose these guys and damage our sport further" to "its ok to jump red lights because of bike jackings...". to "well if other people can then so can I".

If a cyclist jumps a red robot and gets knocked over by a taxi, it has the same effect as if a taxi jumps a red light and knocks a guy over. Both ways the cyclist ends off hurt or worse off. We as hubbers will also not come here and protest against the cyclist.

If a car swerves to miss a cyclist who jumped a red light and crashes into a another innocent person.... you see, regardless of vehicle no good can come of this. Taxis are a$$holes and something should be done about them, but that does not give us the right to do the same as them!

Red light jumpers regardless of vehicles are idiots, simple as that.

I tweeted a pic of two Northcliff guys who jumped several red robots last weekend on the way to the cradle, and I was shocked by how many people where pissed at me for doing so. Replies ranged from "Why expose these guys and damage our sport further" to "its ok to jump red lights because of bike jackings...". to "well if other people can then so can I".

If a cyclist jumps a red robot and gets knocked over by a taxi, it has the same effect as if a taxi jumps a red light and knocks a guy over. Both ways the cyclist ends off hurt or worse off. We as hubbers will also not come here and protest against the cyclist.

If a car swerves to miss a cyclist who jumped a red light and crashes into a another innocent person.... you see, regardless of vehicle no good can come of this. Taxis are a$$holes and something should be done about them, but that does not give us the right to do the same as them!

Red light jumpers regardless of vehicles are idiots, simple as that.

I hear you, and understand your view, but have a few questions?

What constitutes "jumping a red light"?.

1. Simply riding through without slowing down in normal traffic flow?,

2. Slowing down considerably but still riding through, when others are stopped?

3. Slowing down considerably but still riding on, when nobody else is around?

4. Stopping first and then riding through when (a) there are no cars, and/or (b) the pressure plate hasn't activated for 3hrs?

5. Turning left?

One size doesn't fit all, IMHO. A bike isn't a taxi, and a taxi ain't a bike. And "the law is the law" in the absolute sense, doesn't wash as an argument. Sometimes the law is a horse's ass.

Edit: Urrrrghh, spelling

Edited by Brogue

I hear you, and understand your view, but have a few questions?

What constitutes "jumping a red light"?.

1. Simply riding through without slowing down in normal traffic flow?,

2. Slowing down considerably but still riding through, when others are stopped?

3. Slowing down considerably but still riding on, when nobody else is around?

4. Stopping first and then riding through when (a) there are no cars, and/or (b) the pressure plate hasn't activated for 3hrs?

5. Turning left?

One size doesn't fit all, IMHO. A bike isn't a taxi, and a taxi ain't a bike. And "the law is the law" in the absolute sense, doesn't wash as an argument. Sometimes the law is a horse's ass.

Edit: Urrrrghh, spelling

So what you're saying is that the (red light) law applies to everyone else EXCEPT YOU on your bike cos the law's an ass? Nice one.