Serious crashes on the Spruit today

Tjokkits

Hmm

This all brings to mind the last time that jump lines etc were put on to the spruit. It ended with a guy paralyzed from the neck down from falling off the teeter totter below DHL, and possible court cases.

Plus the local Caxton rag splashing it all over their front pages.

Which lead to it all being destroyed by the good Samaritans that built it as the risks were too high.

People wont take responsibility for their own actions and always want to blame someone else when they get hurt.

Hope it doesn't end this way again....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm

This all brings to mind the last time that jump lines etc were put on to the spruit. It ended with a guy paralyzed from the neck down from falling off the teeter totter below DHL, and possible court cases.

Plus the local Caxton rag splashing it all over their front pages.

Which lead to it all being destroyed by the good Samaritans that built it as the risks were too high.

People wont take responsibility for their own actions and always want to blame someone else when they get hurt.

Hope it doesn't end this way again....

Perhaps we should also take down all jungle gyms, swings and slides as these are dangerous for kids?

Came across two crashes where the guys/girls were taken away in an ambulance, the one in Delta park where those jumps are and the other on the jumps behind the school (the bit just before you get to Fratellis coming from Republic).

He they are okay and heal up soon

was right behind the guy who crashed on that table top just before the playground in Delta, went straight over the bars and hit his head hard, was out cold for about 2 mins. He came too and seems he broke collarbone as well, ambulance was on its way when I left.

Hope you heal fast brother!

was right behind the guy who crashed on that table top just before the playground in Delta, went straight over the bars and hit his head hard, was out cold for about 2 mins. He came too and seems he broke collarbone as well, ambulance was on its way when I left.

Hope you heal fast brother!

Hope the dude recovers soon. That 'table' has been there forever and has claimed many skin donors.

It's actually just a hump in the ground and the trail rolls over it. Like to see anyone take that down as it would bring down those large bluegum trees supported there.

Hope they get better soon!

Note to self: you can get hurt on spruit - pay attention!

I ride the spruit 3 -4 time a week and have bought many a piece of land in many areas, i ride a 160mm travel monster that allows me to take the jumps and like to think i have a decent skill set that allows me to not kill myself. i do however think that the jumps are getting a little too serious and hectic for the type of trail the spruit is.

i applaud the fairies and do support them in every way but the average( and not so average race rat) does not have enough skill to:

1. read the jump properly.

2. stop if they aren't sure about a situation.

3. ride with a little bit of caution when its been a while since they were last on the trail.

4. ride too fast thinking that its a Jeep track trail that is safe for all.

the new gap that was being built at the virgin active is a prime example, its a crazy looking jump that is going to cause someone a lot of hurt.

i think warnings are a great idea, i dont profess to know how to fund them etc but at least it may slow some people down a ittle so they dont get thrown by a new lip fdor example.

i have seen 2 accidents requiring ambulances in the last 4 days at the Bomb jump. the left hand side is intimidating and only people that enjoy to jump like that will logically attempt it but the right hand side looks and always was rather flat and could be taken with speed, problem now is there is a lip there that has thrown several people over the bars due to them not expecting it and there is no way of judging it until you are right on top of it.

personally i think we need to be very careful as if people are getting seriously hurt( due to stupidity or the trail) we are going to be faced with a situation, i suspect, where we will not be allowed to ride there any more.

I ride the spruit 3 -4 time a week and have bought many a piece of land in many areas, i ride a 160mm travel monster that allows me to take the jumps and like to think i have a decent skill set that allows me to not kill myself. i do however think that the jumps are getting a little too serious and hectic for the type of trail the spruit is.

i applaud the fairies and do support them in every way but the average( and not so average race rat) does not have enough skill to:

1. read the jump properly.

2. stop if they aren't sure about a situation.

3. ride with a little bit of caution when its been a while since they were last on the trail.

4. ride too fast thinking that its a Jeep track trail that is safe for all.

the new gap that was being built at the virgin active is a prime example, its a crazy looking jump that is going to cause someone a lot of hurt.

i think warnings are a great idea, i dont profess to know how to fund them etc but at least it may slow some people down a ittle so they dont get thrown by a new lip fdor example.

i have seen 2 accidents requiring ambulances in the last 4 days at the Bomb jump. the left hand side is intimidating and only people that enjoy to jump like that will logically attempt it but the right hand side looks and always was rather flat and could be taken with speed, problem now is there is a lip there that has thrown several people over the bars due to them not expecting it and there is no way of judging it until you are right on top of it.

personally i think we need to be very careful as if people are getting seriously hurt( due to stupidity or the trail) we are going to be faced with a situation, i suspect, where we will not be allowed to ride there any more.

Spoke to the guy that broke his hip, exactly what happened...

I've got to agree about that lip on the right, if too many lemmings off themselves there, all the jumps and berms will become Parks and community association targets...

I've got to agree about that lip on the right, if too many lemmings off themselves there, all the jumps and berms will become Parks and community association targets...

Don't come here with your BS. Just because you don't know how to hit that baby lip.

Don't come here with your BS. Just because you don't know how to hit that baby lip.

:P

Only kidding. Caught me by surprise the first time too. Prefer the jump on the left anyway.

That lip should not be there to be honest. The idea of building jumps etc was always to be off the main trail.

Look at the Bundaberg and Hurlingham lines. All off to the side of the main trail. There should never be an obstacle on the main parts of a public trail. Not one that is built anyways.

Nobody should get hurt because something surprised them. That isn't cool at all.

Anyone tried the new monster in front of the virgin active yet....could be fun to watch

Dammit I need to get back on the bike soon!!! Anybody have pics of this?

Lets just say a guy Club kit should be setting a better example than running red robots, speeding past a serious accident when he saw the paramedics carrying a strecher down the singletrack and then forcing a noob off a tricky piece of singletrack when he can see the we had all stopped to let the Guy ride up comfortably at his own pace. Clearly he thinks he is God's gift to mtb, pity he got overtaken a few 100 meters later by social riders on their SS. Maybe he should rethink his training program. If i was in my club kit I would behave COMPLETELY differently. The Spruit is not your own private race track, you can go fast and be courteous to other users its not that difficult.

About what time and what bike did this bloke ride? Just checking its not somebody i know

Anyone tried the new monster in front of the virgin active yet....could be fun to watch

Think it was only built a day or so ago after the Spruit Fairy had cut up the tree which had fallen across the previous gap during the rains. I haven't seen it yet though...