Training in the cold - health issues

Guest EdEdEd

Shoots for undies.... I get that bit

WTF is worst burn, is it the worst you can get?

I R confused :blink:

The burn from the freakin cold air blowing in my face which is then halted to some extent by the buff! well, the opposite of burn then... :blush:

Edited by EdEdEd

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having not read what everyone else said, this is what works for me:

1. Use a Buff around your neck and cover your mouth and nose with it.

2. Anatomic have a fleece that comes around your neck and covers the chest - looks look a newspaper, use it.

3. Cover your head either with a Buff or a dedicated under-helmet beanie.

The above will keep most of the cold off of your chest, away from your neck and you will be breathing in warm air through the Buff.

Safe travels!

I found this while scanning my medical aid website.

Busting colds and flu myths

No matter how many cold and flu seasons you have weathered in your life, chances are you’re still buying into some far-too-common illness myths!

Learn more:

• You shouldn’t exercise with a cold. Skip the gym and you will actually stay sick longer. Light to moderate exercise when you are sick will boost your immune system.
  • Cold weather can make you catch a cold. Record lows don’t cause colds – viruses do.
  • Flu shots can give you the flu. The influenza virus infects you 48 hours before you have any symptoms, so if you get the vaccine during this time period, it will appear that the vaccine caused the flu, but you would’ve gotten sick anyway.
  • You catch a cold because your immunity is low. Cold viruses do not require a weakened immune system.
  • Antibiotics cure the common cold. Antibiotics targets bacteria, they cannot kill the viruses that cause colds.
  • There is a cure for the common cold. Cold medications can only relieve symptoms, not speed up recovery.
  • Eat chicken soup. This is one myth that contains a grain of truth. Studies concluded that chicken soup helps the body to clear mucous from the bronchial tubes faster and more effectively than other liquids. Inhaling its warm vapours raises the temperature of the nose and loosens thickened secretions.
  • If you get your flu vaccine too early, your protection will wear off before the end of the flu season. A flu vaccine will last for at least a year, no reason to wait.
  • If you get the flu once, you will not get it again that season. Infection with one type of influenza strain will not safeguard you against any new or mutated viral strains.
  • Skip the flu shot if you are pregnant. Woman who are pregnant are at increased risk of complications from the flu. Pregnant woman who have been vaccinated will pass preventative antibodies to their babies.
  • You can sweat out a cold. You won’t get rid of a cold by sweating it out. Although a hot bath may make you feel better, it will not speed up your recovery time.
  • Stress increases the risk of coming down with the flu. Stress cannot cause a cold. Chronic stress may make it harder to recover and cope with symptoms of cold and flu.
  • Vitamin C will help to starve off a cold. Vitamins and minerals have no effect on the cold virus.
  • Cold causes a cold. You have probably been warned at one time or another, not to go out with wet hair or to wrap up warm so you don’t catch a cold. You only catch a cold when you come into contact with the cold virus. It does not matter if you are hot, cold, warm or dry.
  • Starve a fever, feed a cold. Eating has no negative impact on the body when you are sick; in fact the opposite is true. Food provides the body with fuel to cope with illness – so when you are sick, eat healthy and well.
  • Kissing a person with a cold will cause you to catch it. The reality is that the quantity of virus on the lips and mouth are miniscule and a much larger dose would be required for you to become infected. It is the nasal mucous you have to worry about – so no nose – kissing!

http://www.fedhealth.co.za/customer-stories/busting-colds-and-flu-myths/

And

Cold & Flu Prevention Tips

A tickle in your throat? A cloudy head? An achy body? Yup, you’re coming down with something… Here’s how to stop a cold in its tracks.

As soon as you start experiencing symptoms:

• Start drinking water. Staying hydrated cuts down on symptoms like a sore throat and a stuffy nose
  • Gargle with salt water. Add half a teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. The salt draws out the excess water in your throat’s tissues, reducing the inflammation, clearing the mucous and irritants from the back of the throat
  • Keep your nose clean. Use a saline nasal spray, this will reduce the impact of the symptoms
  • Head to the pharmacy within the first two hours. Grab a pain reliever like acetaminophen to fight off achiness
  • Have 1 or 2 tablespoons of honey in tea or straight from the jar (forget cough medicine!)
  • Skip work if you can. Your body can fight off the virus better if you are rested
  • Don’t forget the fluids
  • Light exercise can boost the immune system
  • At the end of the day choose a dinner that includes protein-packed foods and plenty of antioxidant-rich fruit and vegetables
  • Take a hot shower before bed and get a good night’s rest
  • Should you feel worse or feel a fever coming on, start vomiting or have a bad headache, call your doctor. Otherwise keep up the routine for the next few days to be sure that you kick that cold for good!

Tips to prevent the common cold:

• Wash your hands often
  • Don’t smoke
  • Use disposable items if someone in your family is infected
  • Keep household surfaces clean and wipe with disinfectant
  • Dispose of tissues properly
  • Maintain a healthy lifestyle with adequate sleep, good nutrition and physical exercise
  • Control stress. People experiencing emotional stress have weakened immune systems
  • Keep warm. Shivering depresses the immune system and makes us more likely to catch colds.

Immune boosting tips:

• Antioxidants are very important. Increase your intake of Vitamin C, A and E, beta and mixed carotenes and selenium
  • Eat lots of fruit and vegetables daily. Drink a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice every day (with 250 mg of Vitamin c per glass, it is enough for a child’s daily needs in winter, an adult needs a little more)
  • De-stress. Ongoing stress places tremendous strain on your immune system
  • Drink lots of tea. Research has found that people who drink five to six cups of tea each day seemed to get a boost in that part of the immune system that acts as a first line of defence against infection
  • Eat cereal rich in polyphenols to restore the immune system
  • Oligosaccharides in soya make immunity boosting organisms grow more rapidly
  • Prebiotics are food components that improve the food supply of the bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract, so that the beneficial bacteria can flourish
  • Probiotics increase the uptake of important minerals preventing deficiencies
  • Daily intake of essential nutrients. Vitamin A, Iron and Zinc
  • Laugh; it decreases the amount of stress hormones in your body boosting your mood and immune system.

http://www.fedhealth.co.za/customer-stories/cold-flu-prevention-tips/

This morning I used on of those flimsy-material bags as a chest protector as I could not find a vest anywhere - it worked like a charm. put it upside down and throw the strings over your arms.

post-42648-0-97346400-1398257482_thumb.jpg

I have a buff, but the problem is that everytime I go a bit slow or stop at a robot my glasses fog up, so I either have to breath with my lips pushed against the buff or pull the buff down under my nose. Anyone else have same issue?

This morning I used on of those flimsy-material bags as a chest protector as I could not find a vest anywhere - it worked like a charm. put it upside down and throw the strings over your arms.

post-42648-0-97346400-1398257482_thumb.jpg

I have a buff, but the problem is that everytime I go a bit slow or stop at a robot my glasses fog up, so I either have to breath with my lips pushed against the buff or pull the buff down under my nose. Anyone else have same issue?

Same issue. On the motorbike it is just a huge pain for me. I tried my mask on the bike this morning. Think it will take some getting use to. No fogging at all as the warm breath are redirected to the bottom of the helmet, so no fogging in the visor.

The mask I have...

post-686-1398258548,1226.jpg

post-686-1398258572,5817.jpg

post-686-1398258594,1872.jpg

One thing I did notice is that it keeps the heat in. Took it off about half way to work, and dreaded every inch to work after that. Was the first day I took it very slow due to the cold...

Same issue. On the motorbike it is just a huge pain for me. I tried my mask on the bike this morning. Think it will take some getting use to. No fogging at all as the warm breath are redirected to the bottom of the helmet, so no fogging in the visor.

I remember when riding in winter on the motorbike with a scrambler helmet and goggles, had balaclava where it only had holes for the eyes, i could see through the goggles only half the time

The mask I have...

post-686-1398258548,1226.jpg

post-686-1398258572,5817.jpg

post-686-1398258594,1872.jpg

One thing I did notice is that it keeps the heat in. Took it off about half way to work, and dreaded every inch to work after that. Was the first day I took it very slow due to the cold...

Looks cool, but ja it looks like its going to get really hot.

Maybe a buff with some sort of nose clip to close the gap between buff and glasses

Cold weather never made anyone sick. People make people sick.

My daughter rode to work in London every day for 5 years hot or cold and did not get sick, but every time she used the Tube or bus she ended up with colds or flu.

Ride the bike and don't worry about the temperature, just dress correctly.

Jozi is not that cold in winter.

Short sleeve base layer, arm warmers & full finger gloves and you're sorted.

Stop acting like massive fannys and man up.

I commuted through a particularly cold winter (2001) in Jhb where it often dropped to -2 in the mornings. Needless to say, even thermal arm warmers didn't do the trick. Had to have an additional wind breaking layer.

They must go to the army

They must go to the army

Yeah, I was in Bloemfontein. I haven't ever been that cold since.

Yeah, I was in Bloemfontein. I haven't ever been that cold since.

True, Bloem is the city of extremes, extreme heat in summer and extreme cold in winter.

Guest EdEdEd

True, Bloem is the city of extremes, extreme heat in summer and extreme cold in winter.

The don't try out Upington... I come from Bloem... and when I moved to Upington it was tough - the summers you cant do anything without an aircon blowing in your face, and in the winter you cant go anywhere without a parka!