TOKAI CRASH MONDAY 21/4/14

varkie2

My father in law came off on Monday up on one of the single tracks in tokai. Firstly thank you to the couple who phoned us off my dads phone. (hope you are reading this). You were a great help. Then the guy with the specialized stumpjumper expert HT (he lives in Tokai). Thank you for staying with him till I got there and stayed on and rode with me down. Just some news on my dad (crazy fearless 60 year old). He broke his neck, two of the vertebrae in his lower neck broke, one broke badly and VERY almost paralyzed him as seen on CT scan..... He is being operated on tomorrow morning. They are fusing the vertebrae that are affected. THANK YOU for your help in a huge way!. Hope to see you out there again.

Rolf

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow must have been an awkward fall ... wishing him a speedy recovery

Well done to those who assisted !

My father in law came off on Monday up on one of the single tracks in tokai. Firstly thank you to the couple who phoned us off my dads phone. (hope you are reading this). You were a great help. Then the guy with the specialized stumpjumper expert HT (he lives in Tokai). Thank you for staying with him till I got there and stayed on and rode with me down. Just some news on my dad (crazy fearless 60 year old). He broke his neck, two of the vertebrae in his lower neck broke, one broke badly and VERY almost paralyzed him as seen on CT scan..... He is being operated on tomorrow morning. They are fusing the vertebrae that are affected. THANK YOU for your help in a huge way!. Hope to see you out there again.

Rolf

Any idea which part of Tokai? Which single track? It might help the trail guys to see if there is something especially dangerous or if it was an unfortunate one off incident.

By the way a sixty year old zooting around Tokai gives me great hope for the future, you can be 'elderly' and still have fun/ride like a hooligan.

Thanx Guys.

He fell on the righthand side of the mountin (looking up). The singletrack just before the hairpin on the right, at the split that goes further up to silvermine or to the mast. At the lookout point. The is a single track coming down there in the clear. He fell halfway down that single track where the boulders has washed out and is now VERY tricky and steep drop off. Unrideable if you ask me. But I am a novice. He says he didn't choose the right line and his front wheel got stuck and he went over the bars. Landed on his head breaking the helmet and taking skin off his head and his back (on the rocks there I suppose). He knew something was wrong so he laid still till someone came along. He fell just before two and they got him off the mountain just before 6. No helicopters were available so we had to carry him slowly down to the ambulance waiting at the end of the track. It happens so quickly.

Be carefull out there. But I suppose its part of the sport

Indeed thanks to those who supported you and your dad! Please keep us posted on his condition..

I know the spot! Will have a look.

Thanx Guys.

He fell on the righthand side of the mountin (looking up). The singletrack just before the hairpin on the right, at the split that goes further up to silvermine or to the mast. At the lookout point. The is a single track coming down there in the clear. He fell halfway down that single track where the boulders has washed out and is now VERY tricky and steep drop off. Unrideable if you ask me. But I am a novice. He says he didn't choose the right line and his front wheel got stuck and he went over the bars. Landed on his head breaking the helmet and taking skin off his head and his back (on the rocks there I suppose). He knew something was wrong so he laid still till someone came along. He fell just before two and they got him off the mountain just before 6. No helicopters were available so we had to carry him slowly down to the ambulance waiting at the end of the track. It happens so quickly.

Be carefull out there. But I suppose its part of the sport

Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like Mamba and those rocks can be tricky but it does sound like he had a very unlucky fall.

Please let us know how he gets on.

Hey Rolf

I was the guy up there with you on the White Stumpjumper. I'm shocked to hear the extent of your dads injuries, and glad at the same time that it was not worse. He is definitely no ordinary 60 year old - even cracking one or two jokes while we were waiting for the ambulance.

Credit to the fire and rescue crew who were first to arrive and attend to your dad, they did a great job stabilizing him.

He fell in the middle of mamba on that rock drop section which has become quite dangerous and sandy of late, with new rocks becoming exposed under the sand.

All the best to your dad and keep us updated on his recovery.

-Marc

Hey Rolf

I was the guy up there with you on the White Stumpjumper. I'm shocked to hear the extent of your dads injuries, and glad at the same time that it was not worse. He is definitely no ordinary 60 year old - even cracking one or two jokes while we were waiting for the ambulance.

Credit to the fire and rescue crew who were first to arrive and attend to your dad, they did a great job stabilizing him.

He fell in the middle of mamba on that rock drop section which has become quite dangerous and sandy of late, with new rocks becoming exposed under the sand.

All the best to your dad and keep us updated on his recovery.

-Marc

Well done, it's nice to know that you can look to others for help when it all goes wrong.