Training with "weaker" partner

Push her up the hills or attach an elastic strap or rope to her bike and pull her up the hills.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have started to do now is ride to a park and have my girlfriend meet me there and then we do a lap at her pace in the park. This way I kind of get the best of both worlds.

Otherwise you could ride with us at Northen Farms and the girls can fight the lions together and we can try and break strava records :clap:

Push her up the hills or attach an elastic strap or rope to her bike and pull her up the hills.

Noooo, dont do that. My hubs tried to push me up a hill once and I moaned at him, that I can do it by myself in my own sweet time. If your girlfriend half as stubborn as me, she will be miffed!

Will probably end with a crash and a argument.

Yeah, my OH tried to help push me up a hill once - that didn't end well. I see it often couples riding together and the guys are helping their partners up the hills - is it really that bad to ride at different paces? my partner often goes off wondering along other sections of trail while waiting for me - and that suits us fine - i'm not rushed and he's not irritated waiting for me - on hills and downhills he always pulls ahead and I catch up with him eventually ... of course assuming riding where it's safe ...

How would she feel riding with other people once in a while so you can go out and push yourself a bit? I know I encourage my OH to ride with people stronger so that he can enjoy himself as well.

Yeah, my OH tried to help push me up a hill once - that didn't end well. I see it often couples riding together and the guys are helping their partners up the hills - is it really that bad to ride at different paces? my partner often goes off wondering along other sections of trail while waiting for me - and that suits us fine - i'm not rushed and he's not irritated waiting for me - on hills and downhills he always pulls ahead and I catch up with him eventually ... of course assuming riding where it's safe ...

How would she feel riding with other people once in a while so you can go out and push yourself a bit? I know I encourage my OH to ride with people stronger so that he can enjoy himself as well.

I fully agree. My OH has some mates, and they go out early and literally hurt each other, men and their testosterone! Then we ride later in the afternoon, he is a little less restless then!

Lots of ways as suggested, I do a solo lap then do a second lap with the missus and still do a few of the hills harder and turn back and ride up with her.

Your support and time with her on the bike is more valuable than the incremental gain in fitness by riding alone. We are privileged to have someone share our hobby with us. Enjoy that

What I have started to do now is ride to a park and have my girlfriend meet me there and then we do a lap at her pace in the park. This way I kind of get the best of both worlds.

Otherwise you could ride with us at Northen Farms and the girls can fight the lions together and we can try and break strava records :clap:

This is what we do too. I ride to Rietvlei and the wife takes the car. We do a lap at her pace and then I ride back and ad some miles to the session.

When I did my first 45km group ride...I was suffering with 10km still to go...There are two ways to support a weaker rider, the first( emotional support) is the patient soul riding right next to you, telling you "you can do it". The second, (chemical support )(my OH) ...Pssst...Do you want a GU?