Cape Argus: experiences wanted

Belgian biker

Hi all,

we're planning a trip to South Africa in the beginning of 2015

After doing the fabulous New York 5 boro bike tour last year, I was looking for another fun bike experience and came across the Cape Argus cycle tour. We're now considering planning our holiday around this event (March 8, 2015) .

I'm looking to hear from some people who've actually participated. I'm a littled daunted by the distance of 110K and the climbs. The NY tour was about 65km and that was the most we've ever done. But I must say that I was so thrilled by the experience, I didn't feel tired at all and could've gone on for some more k's! Also didn't have any sore musscles afterwards or anything.

The event is in march, meaning it will be winter here so we won't have much opportunity to go out practising the weeks before.

We're not hard core sports fans, we love cycling at weekends for an hour or 3. But it seems such a wonderful experience and a lovely way to see the Cape peninsula. We've also been to Thailand last febr and did a touristy bike tour of Bangkok. It's great to go cycling all over the world, gives an extra punch to our holidays.

I'd love to hear from some participants to get an idea wether this is feasible for people with our condition :-)

thanks for all the advice!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DieBees

If you do some training you should be fine to finish the race. It is very scenic and a must do! If you are reasonably healthy and reasonably fit you should be okay.

It's awesome, it really is. As an experience and an event it is simply unbeatable. I've done it every year since moving to SA and it's the reason I got back onto a bike and racing again after a 10 year period away.

The climbs are not that hard and by the sounds of it you'll be more than capable. A lot of riders do it without much training and a lot with none at all. 'Training' for many is getting the bike out from the back of a shed the week before and checking there is a wheel at each end. ;)

Sometimes I think the guys who come to ride it and expereince the atmosphere, the people, the support and the event as a whole have so much more fun and enjoyment than those who like me who are seeded and chasing a time. I think next year I'm going to start later and just 'ride'.

Nothing beats turning into Hout bay and the wall of people dressed up, cheering and willing you on.

Come over for the Argus, stay for the amazing things this country can offer you and enjoy every awesome experience around every turn. You won't regret it.

Edited by hellocolour

To 2nd DieBees, it is definitely a must do race. You will love the experience. You will be able to finish with an average fitness level.

Just DO IT! It is simply one of the most beautiful scenic bike rides in the world, with one of the best vibes, masses of supporting spectators from start to finish, super organized and great fun. If you can train yourself up to riding 70 - 80 km over varied terrain without suffering too badly, you'll be fine for the 110 km on race day. There are no real big climbs, but 2 of the 3 climbs are in the last half of the route. I don't think a huge amount of training is needed if you are youngish and generally fit, but you will enjoy the day more if you can ride comfortably. Here is a picture of Hout Bay, at the highest point in the race.

post-17716-0-35909700-1399215574_thumb.jpg

haha, thank to all of you for your enthousiasm!

so no excuses then, we should totally do it :w00t:

So what is your average speed in the tour? The ones in the videos seem to go so fast, but that is just the front group? We usually cycle around 17-20km/hour, should be ok?

We just did 50km this afternoon, that's about the amount of km we do for fun. Although I remember from the Five Boro Bike Tour in NY (which I can also totally recommend, fantastic experience!!), you do get swept up by the energy of riding with so many people.

Book accomodation as soon as possible. Remember it's the Funride World Championships. Go to www.bicycling.co.za for training programs and more advice.

I haven't even booked the plane tickets yet! Still searching for some good tickets.

I had already seen a lovely B&B in Newlands but that's not really practical tot get to the start. Or can we join in where the tour passes Newlands along route?

Do you have to pick up the rider packets with your number etc beforehand somewhere?

Hey guys, you really MUST do the the sensational Argus race! I know people who were unfit that have finished the 'race' so its by no means impossible. However, the better trained you are, the more you will enjoy it.

See you in March :)

Winners do a +40km/h average, tail-enders a +- 15 km/h average. My 13 year old did a 25 km/h average this year. The most fun, I think, is to be had at about 20 - 25 km/h. Fast enough not to take forever and finish before your bum goes seriously sore, but slow enough to look at the scenery, soak up the atmosphere, talk to people, even stop for coffee and a croissant.

I haven't even booked the plane tickets yet! Still searching for some good tickets.

I had already seen a lovely B&B in Newlands but that's not really practical tot get to the start. Or can we join in where the tour passes Newlands along route?

Do you have to pick up the rider packets with your number etc beforehand somewhere?

Don't stay in Newlands, it will be difficult to get to the start and finish from there.

The Waterfront, Sea Point, Green Point, Camps Bay, Clifton or certain parts of the CBD would be your best option. The race starts in the CBD and finished about 4km away from that point in Greenpoint (outside the Cape Town World Cup stadium).