Why cyclists should be able to roll through stop signs and ride through red lights

GaryvdM

Interesting article about cyclist behaviour at stop signs and red lights:

http://www.vox.com/2...-signs-and-ride

Cars are 2,000 pound-plus machines that, on most roads, travel at 30 miles per hour or faster. In most cases, a driver can't safely decelerate from this speed to yield to oncoming traffic at an intersection without coming to a full stop first.

Because of the dangers posed by cars, stop signs and traffic lights were invented in the early 20th century to bring order to roads increasingly filled with them. Nowadays, stops signs are often used not only to make intersections safe, but to slow down traffic in residential areas.

Bikes are different — they don't go fast enough to merit this sort of traffic calming, and don't have a problem just slowing down for an four-way stop, only stopping if a car's coming.

Given that this behavior is common among cyclists, the current laws mainly criminalize something strongly associated with cycling. This might even enflame drivers' resentment of bikers more than if by rolling through stop signs, they weren't breaking the law. The laws also divert police from cutting down on actual unsafe biking behavior — like the jerks who fly through intersections at full speed when they don't have the right of way.

Please note: before you flame me, I don't feel very strongly about this (unlike the helmet debate.) Just trying to add value to the debate....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok let me be the first to be in the doghouse here.

I commute almost on a daily basis on my bicycle, she is a 7.8kg singlespeed. As a general rule I un-cleat at every stop street/red traffic light but if it's safe I will roll over a stop sign. I will always stop at a red traffic light but if it's safe I will pull away again and ride over it. My main reason for this riding style is not to be faster than the traffic, be a prick or believe myself above the law. But with the amount of bicycle as well as car hi-jacks/smash and grabs etc I feel safer being on the move. And in this situation I feel that braking the law to protect myself is worth it. One thing I always consider before I do something on the road, whether it's in the car, on my motor bike or on my bicycle, is what would the impact on those around me be. If it would put someone else in a difficult situation I do not do it. If something goes wrong, I would rather have people "think" i'm a considerate cyclist and stop and help than say I'm some jack@ss that got what was coming to him

Good idea, problem may be to teach some cyclists to stay safe rather than fast.

Interesting point that was made regarding cyclists that should be regarded differently than cars because they are not cars (a lot slower), like pedestrians being regarded differently again (slower still than cyclists). Motorbikes are very much like cars because of speed, but because of their size they are not regarded the same as cars (legal for motorbikes to drive between lanes on the highways in rush-hour/slow traffic).

Makes sense to have different rules for different vehicles.

You should have posted this on a Friday.

Cyclists should obey the rules of the road, just as they expect motorists to do the same. Leaving a decision when and when not too obey to individuals will eventually lead to chaos.

Today we saw a cyclist skip the red, and my son asked me if cyclists are allowed to go through reds. My answer was the same as above. We can't expect to have a civilised society if this is the examples we set for our children.

So when cycling, I stop at reds. NO exception.

Safety first, I also stop at red and stop signs.

I would love to see some nice cycling lanes in Jhb (at least way before "tweaks" to rules should be considered).

I always stop at red lights. But must be honest I dont often dead stop at stop signs. Must say in Durbanville most cars at Stops will wave you on to ride so you don't have to stop.

We share the road with cars; these roads are not only made for cyclist...if we want to continue to share the road, we will need to obey the rules of the road. Rules are there to keep all of us safe…that is it!!

Imagine a car skipping a red traffic light or a stop sign and you are on the other end on you bike??? I regularly see a bunch of cyclist going down Main road crossing William Nicol in the early mornings (JHB)….when the traffic light turn red for them they just continue. Now, just imagine a car coming down William Nicol at 80km\h….even if you have lights on your bike you you are not visible from the side until the lights from the car shine on you….it will be too late for the car to brake. Think before you skip a red traffic light or a stop sign….it might be your last.

We share the road with cars; these roads are not only made for cyclist...if we want to continue to share the road, we will need to obey the rules of the road. Rules are there to keep all of us safe…that is it!!

Imagine a car skipping a red traffic light or a stop sign and you are on the other end on you bike??? I regularly see a bunch of cyclist going down Main road crossing William Nicol in the early mornings (JHB)….when the traffic light turn red for them they just continue. Now, just imagine a car coming down William Nicol at 80km\h….even if you have lights on your bike you you are not visible from the side until the lights from the car shine on you….it will be too late for the car to brake. Think before you skip a red traffic light or a stop sign….it might be your last.

You didn't quite read the article, did you ?

Cyclists need to obey the rules of the road like everyone else. From a safety point of view it is imperative that everyone obey the rules of the road. This is the only way, as cyclists, to try guarantee our safety. If just one person is seen breaking the law other people will break the law and so it will, and has, spread like a cancer. Lawlessness in this country will be the death of many people. When will it be your turn ?

Idaho rules etc will never work in SA. Too many taxi's etc will start making their own rules, as they do anyway.

Edited by Seeker911

And in this situation I feel that braking the law to protect myself is worth it.

I see what you did there. :w00t:

I generally stop and wait for green at robots, but slow to a fast walk before rolling through a stop street if noone else was waiting there.

To quote the article:

In most cases, a driver can't safely decelerate from this speed (30km/h)

I'd rather not be a reason for a driver to need to decelerate from ~60km/h to avoid contacting me. A lot of drivers see the green robot and don't even glance at the cross roads. They often put foot on orange, and I'd rather be safe and give the heavyweight a wide berth.

I'm not convinced that all the rules of the roads even apply to cyclists. Can someone please post a link to a site that states the cycling applicable road rules.

In SA we are a bunch of arsestretchers with our heads in a hole.

"It will NEVER work here!"

Don't even think about it never-mind discuss it.

Remember it is the spirit and not the letter of the law that really matters

Bru - go read the national road act - it all applies plus some extra and in the Cape we got some extra by-laws.

I say rules are rules and it must be obeyed at all times. Basta...

A stop is a stop and must be treated as such.

Unfortunately rules are there for the majority of people who are unable to use common sense, everyone are then forced to abide by them.