Does your mtb bike travel IN your car?

boristheblade

My bikes dictated my choice in motor vehicle :lol:

EDIT: picture didn't load properly.

But yes, I used to have a Corsa Sedan and I could get 2 bikes in pretty easily. All wheels off. One frame in back seat foot wells. One on the seat. All wheels in the boot.

Edited by patches

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a trip from Cape Town to PE once with 2 bikes and luggage in the car, and 2 bikes on the rack in the little VW Polo that I had and had no hassles.

I only feel comfy with it inside the car.

There were times where I had to fit my bike into a Polo Hatch.

I even did multiple trips with 2 bikes inside, bags and 2 people in that polo.

post-24697-0-20561300-1401112407_thumb.jpg

Now I live in luxuary and drive one of the most complete vehicles currently available. I can fit 3 bikes, 3 people and DH kit and weekend bag in comfy. (Or 2 people and 4 bikes with all wheels on.)

post-24697-0-82927800-1401112521_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-50185500-1401112538_thumb.jpg

I have a Corolla and fitting the road bike behind the front two seats is super easy, just pop the front wheel off and slide her in. The 29er is more of a mission and requires both wheels off and some careful placement.

When I do take the 29er I also normally take the bettys car (has a bike rack) but that's an issue as she has a personalized licence plate that reads "DUCKI", not much street cred with that :ph34r:

Now I live in luxuary and drive one of the most complete vehicles currently available. I can fit 3 bikes, 3 people and DH kit and weekend bag in comfy. (Or 2 people and 4 bikes with all wheels on.)

mmm beer!

Caddy?

My baby (Spez Camber) ALWAYS travels with me in the car, if at all possible.

My old bike (Merida) goes on the bike-rack, as my intense love for her has waned since the arrival of my baby.

BTW, have I told you how much I love my bike?

I sold my Polo sedan and bought a VW Caddy. Bike is always in the back on a back stand. Never take off wheels. Plenty space for another couple of 29'ers. And all our gear. And doesn't matter how clean the bikes are or aren't.

Edited by Brendan2013

My bikes dictated my choice in motor vehicle :lol:

Yep... I ditched my Hilux D4D in favour of the daddy of yours just for cycling, a Transporter Crew Cab long wheel base. Can fit 4 (5 if not for the Rockford Fosgate system for when I need to gangsta things up in the hood) bikes in the back (all 29rs) with the wheels on, plus 5 passengers and all gear n coolers. I can never go back to not having a van.

Edited by MTBaaisikilist

I have a Navara Ute... open the back up, throw it in as is.

Benefit of having it flat in the back (much like the van) is when ever I go to or from my place I'm not advertising the fact to everyone that I've got nice bikes just waiting to be 'borrowed'.

Ford Ikon. 29er's wheels off. Medium frame. Blanket on the back seat. Turn of the handlebar makes it sit nicely. Wheels pretty much fit in there too. Have managed to get the fixie in there too, having lowered the front passenger seat and did some bike yoga to get it to fit.

Honda Civic....can fit two bikes inside with wheels on, or Two on the roof, one inside(front wheel off with one side seat down, and still enough space for all passengers,,,,without moving the front seat to accomodate a tiny person

:D i love my car....so adaptable...

I am a Capy working in Jo'burg at the moment and I practically live out of my car. Focus 29er with the rear seats folded flat is second nature to me, but I admit that I have to take off both wheels. Its a bit of a schlep, but its way more secure than any rack. I also think its acts as an deterrent for thieves would loose too much time assembling for a fast get-away.

B.T.W. When you choose to use a bike rack, just check the carrying specifications of the towbar or bootlid. I know a lot has been said on the topic, but I have had a rather nasty experience and the ultimate conclusion was that with leverage a 10Kg bike can easily overcome the load spec of the towbar/bootlid. 3 Bikes just becomes 3 times worse. If you didn't have any nasties yet, count yourself lucky.

Yep... I ditched my Hilux D4D in favour of the daddy of yours just for cycling, a Transporter Crew Cab long wheel base. Can fit 4 (5 if not for the Rockford Fosgate system for when I need to gangsta things up in the hood) bikes in the back (all 29rs) with the wheels on, plus 5 passengers and all gear n coolers. I can never go back to not having a van.

Vans really are all that!

When it was time for a new car, I considered a bakkie, as it makes transporting bikes easy. But then they are not sheltered from weather or theft without a canopy. So a van seemed like the next best thing.

I use 2x Saris Triple Track racks in mine. This means onecan overlap bars to get bikes closer together. The bike is extremely stable when mounted on the rack (more so than with any ride-on/proride type rack).

post-10758-0-63831900-1401169749_thumb.jpg

3 bikes in, no problem. Plus tool box, spares box, maintenance box (cleaning agents, greases, etc) and of course 1st aid kit. All my DH gear and travel bags fit in comfortably too. The only downside to my particular van is that it only seats 2.