Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Quick question for you guys:

Because of long delays at traffic lights, I have got into the habit of switching my bike off while waiting and then starting again to pull off. 

I do this perhaps twice a day. 

Is there any potential harm caused by this?

Cheers.

I don't have this problem, if you know anything about Italian bikes, you never switch off once it started as it may not start again...????

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine just got one. Traded his R1 in for an 1190R which he loved. Then someone from the other side showed him a deal on the XR. Dealer tailored him a deal that he couldn't walk away from and he hasn't been happier. Can't say enough good things about it.

I just wonder if it should have a shaft drive. What are your views on that? Is it less sporty? Less efficient?

I don't have this problem, if you know anything about Italian bikes, you never switch off once it started as it may not start again...

Haha. Looking at the photo of your bike, I think with fork travel like that, bumps in the road are your biggest problem. Does it bounce going across the road markings?  :whistling:

I just wonder if it should have a shaft drive. What are your views on that? Is it less sporty? Less efficient?

Shaft Drive Pros and Cons

Shaft drives are notable for their durability, longevity, and cleanliness. Because the shaft is self-contained, it rarely ever needs maintenance itself—the bike typically only requires regular oil changes to keep it going. Additionally, the shaft system stiffens the swing arm on the rear tire, providing increased handling and stability, while the absence of lubricants means the system runs cleaner than chain drive models.

On the other hand, shaft drive models typically tend to transmit more of the shock absorption to the bike frame and rider, which is especially true when accelerating or decelerating. The shaft system also has a tendency to lock the rear wheel if the downshifts do not match the road speed, which could be dangerous if the rider is not paying attention.

Due to their longer road-life, shaft drive motorcycles are much more expensive to repair and require parts made by their individual manufacturers—so it would be difficult to find a replacement shaft drive in the middle of a cross-country trip if something were to happen. Although shaft-driven bikes may run longer before needing repair, the costs involved when they do need maintenance are more than many buyers are willing to take on.

Haha. Looking at the photo of your bike, I think with fork travel like that, bumps in the road are your biggest problem. Does it bounce going across the road markings?  :whistling:

it's surprisingly a super comfortable ride. Marzocchi upside down but can be adjusted. Alot more comfortable than the Duc 1299 Panigale I tested before.... I basically needed a back brace for 2 weeks after 20km.

shaft driven bikes are for old sensible men... seriously though, I can't really comment as I've never ridden a shaft drive bike. I like a chain drive though. Easier to do the DIY maintenance. I've heard of silly money being chucked at repairs on shaft drives.

shaft driven bikes are for old sensible men... seriously though, I can't really comment as I've never ridden a shaft drive bike. I like a chain drive though. Easier to do the DIY maintenance. I've heard of silly money being chucked at repairs on shaft drives.

I have only ridden my dad's old Suzuki GS1000G, many moons ago.

That shaft drive was so smooth!!!

I think, like anything in life, it is as good as the maintenance it receives. There are many 1200GS's that have many 100's of thousand KMs on them with no issues. They need maintenance, oil change, etc.

You could go through a number of chains and sprockets in the space of a single shaft drive rebuild. Chains and sprockets are not cheap, over R2000 easily.

I think the costs are pretty even over a 100000km time span.

Hey, shaddup you. The truth hurts.  :D

"I think, like anything in life, it is as good as the maintenance it receives. There are many 1200GS's that have many 100's of thousand KMs on them with no issues. They need maintenance, oil change, etc."

Steven, I agree with this. I have read stories of expensive fixes for shafts - hope I don't have to do it - but they often are associated with lack of maintenance. I also find it smooth and clean as compared to a chain and without any of the transmission of shock to the frame under acceleration or deceleration as mentioned above. I think that may have been true of older drives but is certainly not the case currently. 

Like many things, personal choice but I just wondered originally why BMW didn't use shaft on the 1000 XR. I'm sure there must be a technical reason. 

so still cheaper than a basic GX cassette, chain and chain ring then  :ph34r:

I have only ridden my dad's old Suzuki GS1000G, many moons ago.

That shaft drive was so smooth!!!

I think, like anything in life, it is as good as the maintenance it receives. There are many 1200GS's that have many 100's of thousand KMs on them with no issues. They need maintenance, oil change, etc.

You could go through a number of chains and sprockets in the space of a single shaft drive rebuild. Chains and sprockets are not cheap, over R2000 easily.

I think the costs are pretty even over a 100000km time span.

"I think, like anything in life, it is as good as the maintenance it receives. There are many 1200GS's that have many 100's of thousand KMs on them with no issues. They need maintenance, oil change, etc."

Steven, I agree with this. I have read stories of expensive fixes for shafts - hope I don't have to do it - but they often are associated with lack of maintenance. I also find it smooth and clean as compared to a chain and without any of the transmission of shock to the frame under acceleration or deceleration as mentioned above. I think that may have been true of older drives but is certainly not the case currently. 

Like many things, personal choice but I just wondered originally why BMW didn't use shaft on the 1000 XR. I'm sure there must be a technical reason. 

From what I have read, there are 3 bikes based on a similar platform. The S 1000 RR superbike, the S 1000 R naked sports and the S 1000 XR sports-tourer.

All in various forms of tune and trim with slight changes in wheel base, seat height etc and each targeting a specific sector of the market. I am sure if they were based off the GS type platform then a shaft would have been the way to go.

An interesting read here

so still cheaper than a basic GX cassette, chain and chain ring then  :ph34r:

I bought a black Friday special, R500 for a 525 DID O-ring chain.

But 2 months before that the same chain with a front and rear sprocket cost just under R2400. It is insane.

But yes, still cheaper than bicycle parts, as crazy as that may sound.

Considering the amount of rubber one gets, a motorbike tyre is not much more expensive than MTB tyres. It boggles the mind.....

I bought a black Friday special, R500 for a 525 DID O-ring chain.

But 2 months before that the same chain with a front and rear sprocket cost just under R2400. It is insane.

But yes, still cheaper than bicycle parts, as crazy as that may sound.

Considering the amount of rubber one gets, a motorbike tyre is not much more expensive than MTB tyres. It boggles the mind.....

Yep, thought motorcycle maintenance was slightly high...till one owns a bicycle.

that's probably why I ride SS at the moment...can only afford one moneypit at a time.

Incidentally, who has been commuting in the rain?

Yesterday morning was interesting. Had to source a new rain suit as mine had a leaky crotch...so ended up with a dayglo orange one from Builders...my kids this morning couldn't stop laughing..said something about a traffic cone on a rice grain...(white bike)

I call it my cloak of invisibility, because even with dayglo orange and bright farking lights, cagers still manage to not see you...