Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

2 hours ago, Thug said:

What GPS's do people use?

Options are:

- use my iPhone and Google Maps/Waze

- Garmin Zumo 396 (XT is ridiculously priced)

- Tomtom 550

Seems to me that with a decent case such as https://www.bikekings.co.za/collections/phone-gps-protective-mounts/products/sp-connect-moto-bundle-iphone-13-pro the iPhone will be easiest and cheapest.

Is your iPhone IP rated for rain and dust?

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CARDO or SIMILAR

So if one uses a "No-Noise" earplug, can you still use a Cardo Packtalk (Or similar) in your helmet?

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Is your iPhone IP rated for rain and dust?

Link I referred to has a weather cover so that should take care of the rain and dust.

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Link I referred to has a weather cover so that should take care of the rain and dust.

Sorry, I missed that little guy and did not note it when skimming the specs.
image.png.575b1a7c64dcdaf708fa7b4314c349ab.png

Are you just doing road riding on the bike, or will you be doing a bit of off-road....I would be a little anxious if also doing off-road riding with my phone attached to the bars.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Are you just doing road riding on the bike, or will you be doing a bit of off-road....I would be a little anxious if also doing off-road riding with my phone attached to the bars.

Mainly tar but hopefully a bit of off-road

A dedicated GPS going missing is one thing, but a  phone.....eish.

I had an old Tomtom that came with a previous bike, I really did not enjoy the UI. But this is a 7-10 year old unit by now.

cant go wrong with the zumo, as this is motorcycle specific, and a garmin.

phones on handlebars has never been a good idea to me. 

I seem to recall that a phones camera does not do well when mounted on handlebars and it gets shaken around.

1 hour ago, WaynejG said:

I seem to recall that a phones camera does not do well when mounted on handlebars and it gets shaken around.

They make them with "vibration dampening system" these days

image.png.820af952442525c266e7400167e91f26.png

10 hours ago, Hairy said:

They make them with "vibration dampening system" these days

image.png.820af952442525c266e7400167e91f26.png

I listen to the Highside Lowside podcast, linked to Revzilla, they did an episode last year some time and spoke of iPhone failures when mounted on bikes. This with fancy mounts, etc.
Just something to bear in mind. It also buggers up the camera stabilization gryo's I believe.
Always nervous when I see guys with a R25k+ phone on a mount, stopped at a traffic light. So easy for some random local to snatch and run.........

19 hours ago, Hairy said:

image.png.575b1a7c64dcdaf708fa7b4314c349ab.png

I have this system but cannot really claim to use it much anymore. I found it secure enough on the dirt with a little extra security, a tether attached to the bike and a zip tie securing the phone in the case. I never had it bounce out.  However a serious grab at it at the traffic lights and I am sure the S21 would be vanishing down the road.  I also would forget to lock the screen rotation and a good lean into a corner and the Map would be upside down on getting upright again!! Now I just have the bare mount! Saving for a Zumo.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:33 AM, Spokey said:

I have this system but cannot really claim to use it much anymore. I found it secure enough on the dirt with a little extra security, a tether attached to the bike and a zip tie securing the phone in the case. I never had it bounce out.  However a serious grab at it at the traffic lights and I am sure the S21 would be vanishing down the road.  I also would forget to lock the screen rotation and a good lean into a corner and the Map would be upside down on getting upright again!! Now I just have the bare mount! Saving for a Zumo.

Busy setting this up on a spare phone now, and it looks to be working.