Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

All of that and not picture............

Not a single picture of it in my possession. As luck would have it, my box with trophies and photo albums "got lost" during my move from Gabs to Rustenburg. 

And my sport photo's and that of my cars and bikes over the years got lost.

I only got an photo of my TZR250 3MA on a memory stick somewhere. What a rare and lovely bike this was.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a single picture of it in my possession. As luck would have it, my box with trophies and photo albums "got lost" during my move from Gabs to Rustenburg. 

And my sport photo's and that of my cars and bikes over the years got lost.

I only got an photo of my TZR250 3MA on a memory stick somewhere. What a rare and lovely bike this was.

There were even fewer 3XVs around. Lovely bike :)

Mine was fully custom, but not in pristine condition, built it in my garage.

It was an ex track bike, got the frame and wheels, with the rest of the spares in boxes, motor was blown apart. No tank or gauges, seat, tailpiece or lights. I at least got the sidecovers.

Took me close on two years to hunt down the most important parts, I found a pristine tank in some obscure little bike shop in Coligny of all places. (I drove all the way from Gaborone to go and collect it)

Neil Smith of NS Two Strokes helped me rebuild the motor, the crank had to be recut, shotpeened and balanced, new conrods and pistons was fitted. All of this resulted in a bored and stroked motor of just under 380cc's. Did not trust the Yamaha prelube system on such an extensively worked motor, ran premix as a result

He sorted me out with a set of flat slides from some or other racing bike (was a bitch getting them dialed in) We also fitted a set of Booysen Reed Valves. The ports was done, etc.

Basically everything that was needed to build a proper motor. Took me many trips to Benoni from Gabs to get just the motor sorted. 

Bosson was just starting off as an exhaust manufacturer, and the chap there (forgot his name now) sorted me out with a custom set of expansion boxes, exiting under the seat and above the tail light, chrome off course.

I bought the aftermarket fibreglass Honda CB1100RC tailpiece and seat, and cut, filed, sawed, fibreglassed it till it fitted. Moulded the original sidecovers into the RC replica tailpiece, and it looked sweet. Managed to find an aftermarket fibreglass fullfairing that I also modified to fit, had two round headlights moulded in, sourced from an FZR1000.

Took me two years of working in my spare time to complete the bike, had it painted the BMW M3 Yellow, with blue pinstriping and decals. Decals on sidecovers read "RD350 Elsie"

This thing was wicket, power wheelies 1st and 2nd when hitting the power band (which was quite broad, almost 4000rpms if I remember correctly.) Came on strong from about 6000, getting onto the powerband from 7000, and then you just hang on till about 11000rpm before it lost steam. 

Handling was not too bad (luckily the frame and forks was straight, fitted the biggest modern tires I could, etc. Had braided steel hoses on the standards brakes, was quite adequate for my purposes. As you can see, it was an hybrid, but I loved it.

Got a bit hairy riding it in Gabs (anyone who has ever driven there knows what its like) and I then gave it to my eldest nephew on his 21st birthday. Needless to say, the motor did not take kindly to the abuse he put it through, and he took it to a friend to fix, and there it was "stolen" never to be seen again.

That one of mine was built pretty much from NOS parts - when I was at Yamaha I had access to the dealers parts list, the Pinetown warehouse parts list and a contact in Japan.  I pretty much ordered everything that was available - right down to the automatic indicator cancelling switch....

The worst part was that when I sold it, It had the Microns on, but I had tracked down two brand new OEM pipes at the Dealer in Kroonstad - he had taken them off a new bike and stored them in the original Yamaha packaging.  He gave me the pipes, and I in turn let them go with the bike.  Those things on ebay now would probably fetch close to R5000 now......

Silly boy, Andy, silly boy.

We all make those mistakes.

I sold the last bike I had, a custom '82 XS Eleven Special to the acquaintance of a friend, who then made a duck with the bike, before paying me in full. He nagged me for months, before I relented. Did not want to let go of that one.  :angry: Should not have let it go....

Im looking for a LC as my old man had to sell his to raise some cash to move to CPT in 1990, think he sold it for R8000 in those days. I will never forget him crying when it rode off.

He loved it more than he loved me, I was 8 at the time. I have a picture of it somewhere and will post soon. His was black with blue trim, not standard, but to this day I like it.

Like this one, but black where this is white.

http://www.rd350lc.net/4LO80white.JPG

I want to find him one again, but the few that I have found the guys are asking R100k, which is a bit over priced if you ask me. If I could find the exact one, even better.

Edited by Patchelicious

Im looking for a LC as my old man had to sell his to raise some cash to move to CPT in 1990, think he sold it for R8000 in those days. I will never forget him crying when it rode off.

He loved it more than he loved me, I was 8 at the time. I have a picture of it somewhere and will post soon. His was black with blue trim, not standard, but to this day I like it.

Like this one, but black where this is white.

http://www.rd350lc.net/4LO80white.JPG

I want to find him one again, but the few that I have found the guys are asking R100k, which is a bit over priced if you ask me. If I could find the exact one, even better.

You might have to settle for the later YPVS - they are marginally more easy to come by than the original LC and are actually a little easier to restore too.  The problem with the original LC is that the OEM Yamaha main bearing was identical in size to a standard 62-something (my memory fails me!) apart from a tiny locating peg which stopped it spinning in the engine case.  This tiny peg added about double to the price of the SKF or FAG bearing, so no-one bothered to use the OEM bearing.  But without the peg, the bearings rotated in the case, and the cases wore, which, as you can guess, are no longer available.  The later YPVS and Banshee cases had locating rings which were better.  So unless you can find a nicely restored LC that doesn't need a crank and is running, rebuilding a motor is tricky now.  Personally I would steer clear of any basket case LC and pay a bit more for a restored one (See our posts up top where it's better to let someone else spend thousands on a bike)

You might have to settle for the later YPVS - they are marginally more easy to come by than the original LC and are actually a little easier to restore too.  The problem with the original LC is that the OEM Yamaha main bearing was identical in size to a standard 62-something (my memory fails me!) apart from a tiny locating peg which stopped it spinning in the engine case.  This tiny peg added about double to the price of the SKF or FAG bearing, so no-one bothered to use the OEM bearing.  But without the peg, the bearings rotated in the case, and the cases wore, which, as you can guess, are no longer available.  The later YPVS and Banshee cases had locating rings which were better.  So unless you can find a nicely restored LC that doesn't need a crank and is running, rebuilding a motor is tricky now.  Personally I would steer clear of any basket case LC and pay a bit more for a restored one (See our posts up top where it's better to let someone else spend thousands on a bike)

Thankfully lots of banshee parts that fit thes LC/YPVS motors.

I paid R2500 for complete casings with side covers which still had a complete gearbox and clutch assembly. Bargain in my eyes.

I am weary of any ad that mentions rebuild. Everyone I know, and I belong to a number of international FB groups and whatsapp groups, who buys 2 strokes always factors a rebuild into their equations.

Also a briliant rebuild running on incorrect jetting can lead to seizures. Its no joke buying a used 2 stroke.

I ended up selling the RS125. It rode okay, was told it just needed carb setup. It ended up needing a complete engine rebuild as crank seals and top end were shot. Sold it at a loss to just end the money losses!!!!!

My LC now was worked on by the most ham-fisted bunch of clowns. Literally every 2nd bolt is stripped. Talking clutch cover bolts, exhaust studs, reed block bolts, even the freaking float bowls!!!!! So many air leaks, and runs lean as a result. Recipe for a complete meltdown.

Thankfully lots of banshee parts that fit thes LC/YPVS motors.

I paid R2500 for complete casings with side covers which still had a complete gearbox and clutch assembly. Bargain in my eyes.

I am weary of any ad that mentions rebuild. Everyone I know, and I belong to a number of international FB groups and whatsapp groups, who buys 2 strokes always factors a rebuild into their equations.

Also a briliant rebuild running on incorrect jetting can lead to seizures. Its no joke buying a used 2 stroke.

I ended up selling the RS125. It rode okay, was told it just needed carb setup. It ended up needing a complete engine rebuild as crank seals and top end were shot. Sold it at a loss to just end the money losses!!!!!

My LC now was worked on by the most ham-fisted bunch of clowns. Literally every 2nd bolt is stripped. Talking clutch cover bolts, exhaust studs, reed block bolts, even the freaking float bowls!!!!! So many air leaks, and runs lean as a result. Recipe for a complete meltdown.

Yup the first LC I bought (with my Computer allowance from my Iscor bursary!) was also supposedly rebuilt by Perry Yamaha and it had a cracked piston skirt so definitely there are some dodgy mechanics out there.  I had to rebuild it too - and even back then in 1990 when they were still relatively new the crank had to be welded because it was out of spec.  I need to scan a pic in of that bike - while all my mates at Varsity had XL185's and TS185's I was blasting around on an LC!

My first YPVS. I was working weekends with dad while still at school.

The bike was always parked in the bike park so one day I left a note saying if he ever wanted to sell he should call me. He did, 2 months later. Was stock, I added the Bossons. Got it for R8k. Just put new rings on. Did the BIGGEST 2 up wheelies with my friend!!!!!

Didn't look so nice after it T-boned a bonehead in a car :cursing:

post-35569-0-55531400-1517554353_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-11525500-1517554372_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-46577300-1517554395_thumb.jpg

Searched a bit last night, found a picture of my RZ50LC. It was part of the very first batches that arrived in SA ('81 if memory serves me right) Will see if I can remember to post it tonite.

Old Man paid all of R820.00 for it (think it must have been his whole bonus  :blush:

Rode it for a few years, kept it through the times I had my RD125LC and even my first 350LC.

Had more fun on the fifty than my bigger bikes. This little thing was a rocket in its day.

Sold it to a schoolmates little brother that nagged me no end. Must say, the youngster looked after it well, saw it in town for a long time. 

post-52292-0-93251300-1517578917_thumb.jpeg

Ahhhhh.........this machine. It has started misbehaving. Wont idle well, sounds like 3 cylinders, but above around 4000rpm is great.

I have checked the carbs, coils and plugs and am at a loss.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a place or person to take the bike to anywhere between PE and Cape Town. I am in the George area.

As old as it is, I do not want to scrap it, I like the old thing a lot!

Thanks in advance.

D3F64212-1D4C-4039-B1CF-507B9931D286.jpeg

Ahhhhh.........this machine. It has started misbehaving. Wont idle well, sounds like 3 cylinders, but above around 4000rpm is great.

I have checked the carbs, coils and plugs and am at a loss.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a place or person to take the bike to anywhere between PE and Cape Town. I am in the George area.

As old as it is, I do not want to scrap it, I like the old thing a lot!

Thanks in advance.

Don’t scrap it! It’s s beautiful bike, and certain classic in the making!