Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I made a horrible unforgivable mistake over the weekend. 

I took my friends new duke 690 for a spin........ 

How can one be so stupid!!! I now do not like my bike anymore. It is slow and heavy and stupid tall. 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does maintenance compare between KTM and BMW? Price and parts?

Woo, I don't know. I have a GSA 1200. Going in Wed for a 20K service so I could tell you after that. So far, it hasn't been expensive and Donford help when they can with discounts and such. All I can say is that when I was looking to buy a bike, I went to KTM in Paarden Eiland and when they din't have a 1290 demo, I asked them to let me know when they got one , and I never heard back from them. 

I reckon pricewise  parts and service would be similar although some here with more knowledge than me would be able to be more accurate. 

Friend of mine has both the 390 and 690 KTM Duke. (don't ask  :whistling: ) and he complains that parts on it is quite expensive. A simple fall of the stand cost him (the insurance) quite a few bob to repair.

How does maintenance compare between KTM and BMW? Price and parts?

Not sure about the BMW but that KTM in Parden Eiland is the most useless place on earth.

If you are looking for something in a hurry, it's quicker to buy it from a KTM dealer in Jhb or Pretoria and have a courier send it down. 

I didn't think the parts were too expensive. Head Gasket was like R260. Piston with Head Gasket and bottom Gasket set me back R5200. (This was for a RC390 which is the same engine as a duke 390). 

In terms of service costs, an oil change cost me R1900.

Not sure about the BMW but that KTM in Parden Eiland is the most useless place on earth.

If you are looking for something in a hurry, it's quicker to buy it from a KTM dealer in Jhb or Pretoria and have a courier send it down. 

I didn't think the parts were too expensive. Head Gasket was like R260. Piston with Head Gasket and bottom Gasket set me back R5200. (This was for a RC390 which is the same engine as a duke 390). 

Ok, That gives me a point of reference. I recently had an oil change at 15K kms and it cost me R1500. Seems BMW isn't that much more expensive, if at all. 

Beaut.....

They are going for crazy money yes. Holding on to mine as an investment for sure!!!!

It is looking more and more like I might need to sell a Yamaha TRX850 to buy a more lady friendly (lighter and lower) bike, or possibly find somebody willing to trade perhaps.

Breaks my heart though.....

Not envious of the Elsie at all........no ...never.....aarrrggghhhh! Yes, keep that. Perhaps when finished with the kids varsity, just maybe. Aprillia RS250 is lovely too, but north of 100 Grand now.

Shame to sell the TRX though.

post-52292-0-00632000-1525756421_thumb.jpeg

Saw this at one of my favourite shops when passing through Josie yesterday.

So ugly I really like them and actually could see one in my garage. A tremendous amount of motorcycle for the money!

Ok, That gives me a point of reference. I recently had an oil change at 15K kms and it cost me R1500. Seems BMW isn't that much more expensive, if at all.

What makes an oil service cost R1500 and R1900?

The 690 Duke uses 1.7L of 10W60 oil + oil filter. 5L of very high quality fully synthetic oil isn't much more than R500 at retail, are the oil filters stupid expensive or something?

Edited by Skylark

What makes an oil service cost R1500 and R1900?

R750 an hour labour?

R750 an hour labour?

Must be, do they charge 2hrs labour to do a motorcycle oil change?

That's similar pricing I've seen at dealers for a car oil change, except they use 5L of fully synthetic oil and it's probably a more time consuming job than on a bike, certainly needs more floor space which is an added cost.

Edited by Skylark

Must be, do they charge 2hrs labour to do a motorcycle oil change?

That's similar pricing I've seen at dealers for a car oil change, except they use 5L of fully synthetic oil and it's probably a more time consuming than on a bike, certainly needs more floor space.

Audi charge R950 an hour. An oil service with them was usually around the R1500 mark with parts etc.

I guess you pay for the backup as well. you change your own oil, make a mistake and you sit. I guess the dealer has to factor all those ancillary costs in. I'm sure they're insured against that type of thing and that costs. 

Plus the costs of setting up the coffee shop..