Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Having tried on and seen the spirit range of helmets, I chose to stay away. Flimsy and cheap was my opinion.

My head is worth more than the saving over a decent, well known brand.

Skin grafts are also expensive..........

I think Bell used to have an advert:

If you have a $100 head, buy a $100 Helmet

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bell used to have an advert:

If you have a $100 head, buy a $100 Helmet

My mind still boggles when I see these guys on their R200k+ superbikes with helmets like Spirit, Mars, etc. What are they thinking!!!! Generally matched with crocs and shorts, idjits

My mind still boggles when I see these guys on their R200k+ superbikes with helmets like Spirit, Mars, etc. What are they thinking!!!! Generally matched with crocs and shorts, idjits

Blowing past you at 200 in and out of traffic on a Saturday/Sunday morning.....

OK lads. 'fess up.

What helmets do you have? I'll go first. I have a Desert Fox. Supposedly good with all the DOT approvals but perhaps I am wrong.

Had n spirit, and replaced it 2 years ago with a spirit........ 

There is a drop in quality between the 2. My next helmet will not be a spirit. 

OK lads. 'fess up.

What helmets do you have? I'll go first. I have a Desert Fox. Supposedly good with all the DOT approvals but perhaps I am wrong.

Fox V2 Pilot

Fox-V2-Bomber.jpg

Only issue is the noise when out on the open road and of course riding in the rain but that will be an issue with any MX lid.

I run a Sena SMH10 and at anything over 80-100 kph I can't hear a thing. Going to be testing in ear buds plugged into the unit soon to see if that helps.

Grebel,

Apparently that is a serious risk to your hearing. The Desert Fox is also noisy since it has space for intercom so the solution is to ride with ear plugs. Try it. I did and it makes riding so much more enjoyable.

Troy Lee designs Motocross helmet. I second the riding in the rain problems

..can feel like needles on your nose

And lets not forget hitting an insect at 120....!

Mine is a Shoei GT Air decade.

Comfy, not too noisy. Has a built in unvisor.

I bought an Ebay tinted visor which sucks as it doesn't have the extrusion to clip it closed when fully shut.

Would've also preferred the D ring fastening system.

post-35569-0-96859200-1532076391_thumb.jpg

It will do till I can afford a Marquez rep X-spirit 3 or Nolan X803RR.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Grebel,

Apparently that is a serious risk to your hearing. The Desert Fox is also noisy since it has space for intercom so the solution is to ride with ear plugs. Try it. I did and it makes riding so much more enjoyable.

Anything more than a trip down to the shops, and I use earplugs.  I used to date an Audiologist and it's scary how many things slowly damage your hearing.  Her stance was simple - we all wear sunglasses to protect our eyes from bright light, so why don't we wear hearing protection to protect our ears from loud noise.  She convinced me to have a set of these made - best R500 I have ever spent http://www.protecear.co.za/

I even wear them while I train on my Tacx Indoor trainer - yup - she tested my old Cateye CS1000 trainer back then and it was in the "Temporary hearing loss" zone....

Anything more than a trip down to the shops, and I use earplugs.  I used to date an Audiologist and it's scary how many things slowly damage your hearing.  Her stance was simple - we all wear sunglasses to protect our eyes from bright light, so why don't we wear hearing protection to protect our ears from loud noise.  She convinced me to have a set of these made - best R500 I have ever spent http://www.protecear.co.za/

I even wear them while I train on my Tacx Indoor trainer - yup - she tested my old Cateye CS1000 trainer back then and it was in the "Temporary hearing loss" zone....

Work are supposed to be rolling out Noiseclippers one of these days. I have been using those foam squishy ones on the bike recently but want to try using my buds to cancel out wind noise and also let me listen to the Sena.

Work are supposed to be rolling out Noiseclippers one of these days. I have been using those foam squishy ones on the bike recently but want to try using my buds to cancel out wind noise and also let me listen to the Sena.

Haha. I misread that as Noseclippers and couldn't figure out the relevance.