Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First quote for Spares R30k ex labour blegghhh

Ouch, man, if I bin my dear old KLR, that 30 plus labour would buy me a new (to me) one!

Hope you are okay.

Maybe you can expropriate it from him.....

Don't laugh - I actually wanted to scan the article in and I reckon now I will - I was reading a few days ago about what happened in WW2 where motorcycles were expropriated without compensation by the Defence forces of the day - and if you refused to hand your bike over, then you could be sent to prison for 3 months.

Can you imagine if we had another war in Angola and the SANDF put out a letter saying anyone with a Dual-Purpose motorcycle had to hand it over to the Army.....

I have been asked to do a short talk at the Vintage Motorcycle Club next Monday on my TRX (because they are so scarce here in SA the guys are quite interested).  So putting together my presentation and discussing how the TRX engine was based on the 1991 Paris-Dakar winning YZE750 Super Ténéré, something told me to check the pictures I took when I visited Yamaha in Japan in 2007.  Sure enough I found this pic...

Pity I didn't take as many close-ups of it as I did of the Road bikes :-(

Always wanted a TRX but Yamaha sold so few in ZA i was worried bout spares...when i moved here i was keen to get one but they go for hellish money...some models just grab attention and retain and increase in value...good ones here go for around 3000 pounds...can get 3 CR600s from the era to put the price in perspective

Always wanted a TRX but Yamaha sold so few in ZA i was worried bout spares...when i moved here i was keen to get one but they go for hellish money...some models just grab attention and retain and increase in value...good ones here go for around 3000 pounds...can get 3 CR600s from the era to put the price in perspective

Yup and to make matters worse, they were so unsuccessful when they were new that in 1999 when they were discontinued the dealers in the UK were dumping them for next to nothing just to get rid of them.

Don't laugh - I actually wanted to scan the article in and I reckon now I will - I was reading a few days ago about what happened in WW2 where motorcycles were expropriated without compensation by the Defence forces of the day - and if you refused to hand your bike over, then you could be sent to prison for 3 months.

Can you imagine if we had another war in Angola and the SANDF put out a letter saying anyone with a Dual-Purpose motorcycle had to hand it over to the Army.....

bmw dakar 650 for sale....

My entire talk is based on how sometimes Motorcycle Companies get it right from the start - they read the market properly, they get the design spot on and the pricing is perfect - and those models just take off - think BMW R80G/S (the original Dual Sport bike), Honda CB750, Norton Commando - there are many.  But for every one they get spot on, there are also those that went horribly wrong - and those tend to end up in two groups - either they were so bad that no-one wanted them at all, both then and now (Triumph TT600, Bimota V-Due, Honda DN-01), or they were so far ahead if their time that only now are people realizing how good they actually were - bikes like the Buell 1125R, the Ducati 999, the GPZ750 Turbos and of course the TRX.  And these are the ones that are becoming collectible.