Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I need to put an extra front light on my 1935 Velocette so that it passes scrutineering for the DJ Rally next month.  Most of the guys just put on MTB lights because the old bikes are all 6v and their charging systems are sketchy at best!

Any recommendations for a decent light out there - I had a Lezyne which was great, but the batteries failed and you cannot get replacements so I had to scrap it which was pretty disappointing.

Chat with me, I have 1 or 2 lights you could use.

On my commute yesterday morning, a chap came past me on a 350YPVS with some spannies on it. (White and blue custom sprayjob)

Boy, did it sound so good when he gave it a bit of beans from the traffic light, with the sweet scent of 2stroke wafting behind him. Man, was I jealous of him. 

Mine is pretty much on the market, just waiting on the paperwork and a new fuel tap;)

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chat with me, I have 1 or 2 lights you could use.

Mine is pretty much on the market, just waiting on the paperwork and a new fuel tap;)

I WISH!!!!

There is a few other, "more important" (yeah right, that's what the wife says  :ph34r: ) things to do that supersedes chasing after my misspent youth.  

Small possibility of 2 strokes making a return to MotoGP in 2026.

Saw an article regarding on Visordown. Cant paste it here for some reason, probably PEBKAC.

Small possibility of 2 strokes making a return to MotoGP in 2026.

Saw an article regarding on Visordown. Cant paste it here for some reason, probably PEBKAC.

I would be very surprised if this ever happens, see they are saying the same for F1 where I 100% believe it will never happen.

I need to put an extra front light on my 1935 Velocette so that it passes scrutineering for the DJ Rally next month.  Most of the guys just put on MTB lights because the old bikes are all 6v and their charging systems are sketchy at best!

Any recommendations for a decent light out there - I had a Lezyne which was great, but the batteries failed and you cannot get replacements so I had to scrap it which was pretty disappointing.

I hauled out a Magic Shine Pyro 1000 light I bought from Hannes 6 years ago and plugged in the battery I charged at the time.It was still fully charged.I left it on and it lasted 3 hours.Could not believe it.The Pyro 2000 still is going strong.

Great stuff.Is he still going?

I would be very surprised if this ever happens, see they are saying the same for F1 where I 100% believe it will never happen.

I would be surprised to however 2 strokes make sense to save costs and extract power.

All the mags and articles I read of late are talking about buyers wanting bikes which are simple and back to basics.  The Millenials aren't interested in biking and the guys who are, don't want crazy superbikes anymore.  There's a reason why the Z900 and new Katana are so popular.  If I hadn't bought the TRX I would have been shopping around for a good XJR1300

That XJR is a wonderful beast, would be a fine garage buddy for Big Zed.

Would I be considered mental if I wanted to trade my versys 650 for a KLR 650? 

Im wanting to do a bit more gravel etc... 

Or would I be better off going for something larger? 

The KLR is agricultural compared to the Versys and you may dislike that. If mild gravel is yr aim maybe use the Versys for a small while. IF you like gravel and dual sport look to a twin, BMw GS800/850 or Vstrom 650 or more hard corewould be the KTM 790 etc. 

The KLR is a sedate ride, will go anywhere and with a mod or 2 reliable like an anvil. But it aint going to accelerate or give you the jollies like a versys would. If you can live with that go for it. At one stage I wanted to return to basics and moved from a Vstrom 1000 to a DR650. Loved it. Then only owned single cylinders for 10 years.

Actually looking into the CBR650R, I now prefer the CB650R which brings me back to the MT-07 and XSR700.

Good thing I don't have money for any of the above or I would be in trouble choosing.......

Actually looking into the CBR650R, I now prefer the CB650R which brings me back to the MT-07 and XSR700.

Good thing I don't have money for any of the above or I would be in trouble choosing.......

All those came up on my radar when I wanted a middle weight naked. All great bikes and the MT07 is really cheap here and good deals were available on all of them. The power of the twins is a little lacking I thought and the cb650 was a little small physically. I am 6ft 3 in old money. 

The Honda is also the victim of a little quirk here. When you get an A2 licence here the bike you ride cannot exceed 47bhp. Now , a lot of makers restrict bigger bikes to this limit in order to have a wider market and also its easy enough to de restrict once you have a full licence. However, the full power model may not make more than double the restricted model power wise so the honda has a power output of 94 hp. Triumph get away with that by having a completely separate street triple model that makes 47bhp. 

I've recently been through the process of finding a dual sport bike. I tested three klr650s as I thought it was the bike I wanted. I settled on the BMW f650gs Dakar and I'm very happy with that decision. At R35000 was great value. I've done a little gravel and it coped well. I'm mostly using it as a commuter.