Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I could consider a 1200 sportster, but not the 883 Iron

Sales guy tried selling off the Street Rod 750 while I was there ... on sale at R75K for a new bike ... but no thanks

mcn_f9c81b4cc4f6b3b11b07bd0791395f3b_3df

Okay guys, since you are all experienced bikers and I a novice... please give me your esteemed opinions on why you dislike the Street Rod 750, or even the 883 Iron for that matter.

I’m hoping for a first bike soon, and I consider R75k for a brand new bike to be awesome pricing... as opposed to the F800GS

PS. This is a genuine ask for opinions, not a justification or a war...

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys, since you are all experienced bikers and I a novice... please give me your esteemed opinions on why you dislike the Street Rod 750, or even the 883 Iron for that matter.

I’m hoping for a first bike soon, and I consider R75k for a brand new bike to be awesome pricing... as opposed to the F800GS

The only thing wrong with the street rod is that ppl will rip you off, saying **** like its not a real harley an its made in india and and and ....

The sportster range is also considered "girlie" harleys. I have a sportster Roadster an love the simplicity of it. Might also do the NC500 on it in june. (scottish 500 mile roads around the north)

Biking is about what you like and what you enjoy, to hell what others think. 

That said, Harleys are fairly large and heavy and as a first bike might be a lil hand full. My mates first bike was an iron 883 and he loves it but traffic and speeds here are lil different to ZA. I think if you buy either you may upgrade quite quickly too so look at resale value. 

So if you can, go ride a few bikes and buy the one that talks to you the mostest. Biking is excellent fun and relaxing way to spend time and tune out. 

my last bike was 20 odd years ago, so I have zero experience ... the 750 though just does "feel" like a Harley to me, so it is purely an emotional decision.

Big Zed displays the new Bitubo Piggy Back Bouncy Bits on the rear while waiting to have the Wilbers Progressive springs fitted to the front bouncy bits!

I hope that the couch like handling is transformed a bit. Trying to make a mountain pass scratcher out of the beastie! Okay......a big chunky one, but I like her a lot!!attachicon.gifCCF112CB-B032-417B-A061-ADD66BC3079C.jpegattachicon.gif1C4F65A2-9FE9-4C32-897B-2E4390EAB386.jpeg

Off down the rabbit-hole you go....

https://japan.webike.net/KAWASAKI/ZRX1200R/Full+Exhaust+System/474/1002/mc/

The only thing wrong with the street rod is that ppl will rip you off, saying **** like its not a real harley an its made in india and and and ....

The sportster range is also considered "girlie" harleys. I have a sportster Roadster an love the simplicity of it. Might also do the NC500 on it in june. (scottish 500 mile roads around the north)

Biking is about what you like and what you enjoy, to hell what others think. 

That said, Harleys are fairly large and heavy and as a first bike might be a lil hand full. My mates first bike was an iron 883 and he loves it but traffic and speeds here are lil different to ZA. I think if you buy either you may upgrade quite quickly too so look at resale value. 

So if you can, go ride a few bikes and buy the one that talks to you the mostest. Biking is excellent fun and relaxing way to spend time and tune out. 

The only thing I will add, in the HD's defense, is that the weight is on a bike with a low seat height.

So it should not be compared to something similar in weight, but with that weight up high, like say the aforementioned 800GS. That being said, a 10yr old, relatively low mileage 800GS would be close to that R75k and I would rather take the newer bike.

The other thing I can say is bigger is not always better, yes I loved my TL1000R but given the choice I would go for something smaller, like a 650cc. The power is addictive and you may get bored but you are more likely to extract the performance out of a 600cc, than a 1000cc. So why pay so much more for a bike that you can only utilize 50% of it's potential?

Speaking of 600's, and this is completely on the by and by, the class is now dead. None are euro 5 compliant and thus those in the show rooms will be the last avaialble for road use. 

Sad, cos i always preferred the 600 to the large capacity bikes.

The only thing I will add, in the HD's defense, is that the weight is on a bike with a low seat height.

So it should not be compared to something similar in weight, but with that weight up high, like say the aforementioned 800GS. That being said, a 10yr old, relatively low mileage 800GS would be close to that R75k and I would rather take the newer bike.

The other thing I can say is bigger is not always better, yes I loved my TL1000R but given the choice I would go for something smaller, like a 650cc. The power is addictive and you may get bored but you are more likely to extract the performance out of a 600cc, than a 1000cc. So why pay so much more for a bike that you can only utilize 50% of it's potential?

Thanks. Well-spotted when comparing weight distribution and it’s effect on handling :thumbs:

Just did a quick search and a 2017 Street Rod 750 with 16k on the clock can be picked up for R20k less than new. Makes the riding gear come in for free then... I can’t see anything wrong with this picture

Thanks. Well-spotted when comparing weight distribution and it’s effect on handling :thumbs:

Just did a quick search and a 2017 Street Rod 750 with 16k on the clock can be picked up for R20k less than new. Makes the riding gear come in for free then... I can’t see anything wrong with this picture

Negotiate more. 

Speaking of 600's, and this is completely on the by and by, the class is now dead. None are euro 5 compliant and thus those in the show rooms will be the last avaialble for road use. 

Sad, cos i always preferred the 600 to the large capacity bikes.

Jip, Yamaha R6 will be track only. Demand doesn't meet the cost of getting them Euro 5 compliant. But if they improved the dated 600cc bikes maybe demand would pick up. Chicken/egg situation......

I would do a test ride if possible. Sounds like a good deal but I would try and ride different types of bikes, figure out what you will do on the bike most. Nothing worse than buying a bike only to realize you should have bought something else soon after. Buy universal gear if possible, that can be reused on a different type of bike later. Tassels on anything other than a HD looks weird........

Stopped at the Harley dealership while in town earlier today, and the annoying sales guy says that HD are dropping the Sportster from the line soon and they are also bringing in a HD Adventure type bike.

The sportster range in its current form is not euro 5 compliant so wont be sold in europe etc. But harley are working on releasing a new model 1250 Custom which i guess could be the new "sportster" range. Liquid cooling etc. 

As for the adventure bike, reality is very few of these bikes (in europe) ever see dirt so they more touring than adventure bikes so i suspect the harley will sell ok. 

post-58227-0-42780900-1608032509_thumb.jpg

Edited by IceCreamMan

I actually rode the 750 Harley to test ride it in behalf of my son in law. Was pleasantly surprised by how it pulled. Only reason why he did not buy it is it was a bit small for him and my daughter.

As a single rider bike, I think it would do fine.