Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

TBH I try and support the local importers first - I used to be in retail and I know how much customers going direct used to burn my ass.  However, in this case I contacted Pro-Circuit USA first, and then went via the local guys.  All the other stuff has been direct off ebay - but I try and use the Aussie and NZ sellers - they have been a lot more helpful!

What bike are you going to rebuild?

not rebuilding, but in the process of negotiating ( with SWAMBO) to get a GS800. I am looking to replace the silencer and get a few bits and bobs for it. The local BMW prices are absurd.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We always lusted after a Pro-Circuit pipe.... Back in the 80's unfortunately it was not to be... Hop ups on a budget dictated that an empty deodorant or Doom can produced similar results in terms of sound at a fraction of the cost. A guy I knew almost attained legendary status as a result of his creations.

No way, and I thought I was the only one who used to wonder how well a Doom can would work as a pipe....

I used to have an Answer pipe on my KDX - don't even know if they still exist.  And our neighbour over the road had an XR with a SuperTrapp - man it was LOUD!

I decided to change the can on my NC750 mainly to up the noise levels . Shopped around and decided that at the prices of these slip-on's I would just use my middle finger more . Then somebody suggested that I contact Airage in Pretoria and speak to the old toppie there . No problem , he can make a can for ANY bike said the oomie and he will even fit it if I wanted to wait for R1200.00 . I explained to him I only wanted the noise but he said his can will improve my fuel consumption and performance as well . 5 months later . fuel consumption went from 27.8l per 100 to 31.4l per 100 , the NC is not a sooopa bike therefor I cannot really say it performs better , the same , and then what I really wanted . My wife throws my first Brandy when I come around the corner at the Spar 1km away because she can hear I am on my way .

No way, and I thought I was the only one who used to wonder how well a Doom can would work as a pipe....

I used to have an Answer pipe on my KDX - don't even know if they still exist.  And our neighbour over the road had an XR with a SuperTrapp - man it was LOUD!

I had a Howard Pipe on my IT200. Hmmmm a Supertrap for the XR..... THAT would be cool...

I decided to change the can on my NC750 mainly to up the noise levels . Shopped around and decided that at the prices of these slip-on's I would just use my middle finger more . Then somebody suggested that I contact Airage in Pretoria and speak to the old toppie there . No problem , he can make a can for ANY bike said the oomie and he will even fit it if I wanted to wait for R1200.00 . I explained to him I only wanted the noise but he said his can will improve my fuel consumption and performance as well . 5 months later . fuel consumption went from 27.8l per 100 to 31.4l per 100 , the NC is not a sooopa bike therefor I cannot really say it performs better , the same , and then what I really wanted . My wife throws my first Brandy when I come around the corner at the Spar 1km away because she can hear I am on my way .

I had a mate with a Micron on his MB50.  We did a bit of schoolboy work on the ports, and cocked up what little bottom-end power it had, so you needed a handful of revs to get it going.  After which it really flew.  When he used to leave my house in the evening after a visit, I could hear him all the way home - probably a good 5km away!

I sold my Versys with an AirAge on it. It used to give me a headache it was so loud. I had them fit a quiet core to it.

I sold my Versys with an AirAge on it. It used to give me a headache it was so loud. I had them fit a quiet core to it.

If its electronic fuelling you and ignition you may have to remap the ECU to make sure that it understands that there is less back pressure. These things are very Cleva...

I took the Cat Converter out of my Triumph Explorer and had a look on some forums how this would work. Also put in a DNA Filter.

Basically you reset it and make it re-learn the configs of the bike from the sensors. The intelligent ones recalibrate and it changes the way it fuels appropriately.

It has a lot broader and lower torque band and pulls really well, plus a little bit more on top, not that it needed it.

And consumption improved.

Maybe that will help your conversion?

On the KTM's (690 specifically) you start the bike after your changes (Filter, exhaust, etc) and without revving it, you let it idle for 15 minutes. That gives the ECU time to analyze and reset.

After that it's all good.

Might work for the Honda as well.

All this talk about loud pipes really makes me miss my KTM supermoto - that thing had a bark like nothing else.  And the popping and flames on the over run...   aaghhh, drooool

But damn, I felt bad starting it up before dawn had cracked - especially over the weekend.  It would wake people up three suburbs away.

On the KTM's (690 specifically) you start the bike after your changes (Filter, exhaust, etc) and without revving it, you let it idle for 15 minutes. That gives the ECU time to analyze and reset.

After that it's all good.

Might work for the Honda as well.

Correct . The ECU will sort everything out after a few km's .

so - I signed my life away this morning and am now the proud owner of a GS800. I am very excited. It was a toss up between the Beamer and the Triumph, but after spending time on both , the BM is still better off road and I dont intend to see much tar on this bike. Let the game  begin..... :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Can I just ask - if you're planning on spending most of your time off road, then why not get the 690 Enduro?

*obviously too late now, but I'm still interested to know.

Can I just ask - if you're planning on spending most of your time off road, then why not get the 690 Enduro?

*obviously too late now, but I'm still interested to know.

Couple of reasons. Firstly I intend to do some long trips / tours - Namibia, that sort of thing. I used to race enduro and have had WRs  and the like and done some serious off road stuff but I am now looking for something a bit different. Farm roads, mountain passes and long rides. Also, being an accountant with mechanicophobia - I am very scared of KTMs.

Edited by facmp

Couple of reasons. Firstly I intend to do some long trips / tours - Namibia, that sort of thing. I used to race enduro and have had WRs  and the like and done some serious off road stuff but I am now looking for something a bit different. Farm roads, mountain passes and long rides. Also, being an accountant with mechanicophobia - I am very scared of KTMs.

Another reason...Three words:

BMW Roadside Assist.

so - I signed my life away this morning and am now the proud owner of a GS800. I am very excited. It was a toss up between the Beamer and the Triumph, but after spending time on both , the BM is still better off road and I dont intend to see much tar on this bike. Let the game  begin..... :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Congrats! You must be stoked! Let the Farkling begin :clap:

Go sign up at Wilddogs now if you haven't already done so..... ;)