Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had her for more than a month now.  Still scares the living crap out of me, even though my other baby is a 1000 Fireblade!

Flip , it is stunning. Pitty the BMW factory don't support the Superbike racers. Pees me off watching SBK races , BMW never feature and is at the bottom of the Manufactures Results for all practical purposes.BMW started with such a BANG , but lost the plot fast. BMW Factory obviously doing too well world wide with their offroad machines.

Ah Tromp, BMW "racing" is interesting. I wonder if they did not under-estimate the jump to being competitive in Superbikes just thinking in good Germanic fashion that they would build a state of the art machine and it would win easily. It almost did, then they gave up.

Similar off road racing with their own slightly odd bikes then Husqvarna.  All they have been successful at is the Dakar and that had a long history and big effort. Aside from those mad ISDE airheads that is :eek: 

Why one would buy a GS for "offroad" is a little beyond me - great Long Way Down marketing I guess or a Harley "lifestyle" thing.  Just maybe for gravel road cruising.

Snip..snip..

Why one would buy a GS for "offroad" is a little beyond me - great Long Way Down marketing I guess or a Harley "lifestyle" thing.  Just maybe for gravel road cruising.

I had a GS (pre LC) before the RR.  And for a laymans gravel tourer you will not get any better!  Allow me to explain.

1. BMW service is out of this world.  If you break down you can either phone BMW on Call or you can go to just about any little bike shop to fix it.
  2. For general gravel touring in SA and Namibia the GS is great.  It is not for technical riding though!  The KTM is more suited to this.
  3. The GS is helluva comfortable, whether gravel or tar.
  4. The GS is a brilliant long distance tourer if  you want to take the other half on little backroads.  SWAMBO and I did a 4000km tour last year, with no issues.
  5. More than marketing and Hardley Dangerous lifestyle the GS success is due to word of mouth.  And maybe some wannabe's  :devil:

The GS will always stay a go-to bike for me if I ever decide to get back into gravel riding.  At present though I prefer the faster rides.  Funny enough, so does SWAMBO (did a 1000km one way ride to Margate on the Blade a while ago.  AWESOME roads in the Midlands).

I know the chirp is going to come that you can't tour on a speedbike.  And to those I want to say that you don't have a clue or don't have the balls!  We did a Buffalo Rally tour in March (without SWAMBO though).  Total for me was 3700 km's.  And we had a lady on a R1 with us.  I have also done a tour to Langebaan (Vlakvark rally).  Did the trip back to Jhb in one day, 1489km.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

*Edit for grammar!!

Edited by ewep

Ah Tromp, BMW "racing" is interesting. I wonder if they did not under-estimate the jump to being competitive in Superbikes just thinking in good Germanic fashion that they would build a state of the art machine and it would win easily. It almost did, then they gave up.

Similar off road racing with their own slightly odd bikes then Husqvarna.  All they have been successful at is the Dakar and that had a long history and big effort. Aside from those mad ISDE airheads that is :eek:

Agreed, one would probably not buy a GS as an "off road" ride, however being an "adventure" bike, you will be surprised by it's off road capability - plenty youtube vids to back this up. Plus it's a pretty comfortable long distance road cruiser. My GS goes most places the 2 strokes go in the Inanda valley in Kzn!

I had a GS (pre LC) before the RR.  And for a laymans gravel tourer you will not get any better!  Allow me to explain.

1. BMW service is out of this world.  If you break down you can either phone BMW on Call or you can go to just about any little bike shop to fix it.
  2. For general gravel touring in SA and Namibia the GS is great.  It is not for technical riding though!  The KTM is more suited to this.
  3. The GS is helluva comfortable, whether gravel or tar.
  4. The GS is a brilliant long distance tourer if  you want to take the other half on little backroads.  SWAMBO and I did a 4000km tour last year, with no issues.
  5. More than marketing and Hardley Dangerous lifestyle the GS success is due to word of mouth.  And maybe some wannabe's  :devil:

The GS will always stay a go-to bike for me if I ever decide to get back into gravel riding.  At present though I prefer the faster rides.  Funny enough, so does SWAMBO (did a 1000km one way ride to Margate on the Blade a while ago.  AWESOME roads in the Midlands).

I know the chirp is going to come that you can't tour on a speedbike.  And to those I want to say that you don't have a clue or don't have the balls!  We did a Buffalo Rally tour in March (without SWAMBO though).  Total for me was 3700 km's.  And we had a lady on a R1 with us.  I have also done a tour to Langebaan (Vlakvark rally).  Did the trip back to Jhb in one day, 1489km.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

*Edit for grammar!!

I am at that stage when looking to buy a bike again

Which would you recommend The 800 or the 1200?and why?

I am at that stage when looking to buy a bike again

Which would you recommend The 800 or the 1200?and why?

Kransie, what exactly do you want to do with the bike?  Here are my feeling on this, and a lot of people will disagree.  Please also remember that I rode the pre-LC 1200 (2011 model DOHC).

1. Power corrupts!  Period.  You will always want bigger and/or faster at some stage.
  2. The 800 is more balanced in thick sand and mud than the 1200.
  3. For long distance touring (tar or plaaspad) I will not think twice about going 1200.
  4. The 1200 is easier on your pillions ass.
  5. You can carry more luggage at speed on the 1200.  The 800 is comfortable at 140, but who wants to sit at only 140?!
  6. If you want to doBotswana, Kalahari or Namibia deserts (not the roads, the bundus) then the 800 is your baby.

So it all depends on what you want to do.  O ja, your build as well, as the 1200 GS and GSA are quite heavy when loaded and standing still.

Personally, 1200, no question asked!

Also look at the Triumph Tiger (800) or the bigger 1200.  It's like a Merc vs BMW car thing.  I prefer the BMW's over the Triumph, but there is nothing wrong with Triumph.  But, as I mentioned before, BMW service is head and shoulders above the rest!

A completely different story if you want to go further into Africa though.

Let me know and we can chat in private. (And no, I don't work for BMW.  I am in IT)

I have a GS 800.

I have had superbikes in the past ( a long time ago) and more recently I did motorcross and then enduro.

The GS is probably my most favorite bike I have ever owned. It is more than capable on the tar. Admittedly I am now too old and scared to cruise at much more than 160 and I dont want to ever go over 200 again - so in this respect the GS is just fine. However its when you leave the tar that it really blows my mind. it is so capable and so much fun. So, for example, we did a three day trip a few weeks back that included baviaanskloof, die hel and a number of other nice passes plus all the tar in between. this bike just does it all so well. I have also taking it where there is absolutely no road and it is not phased.

It was never designed to do real enduro stuff. for that buy an enduro bike. but to be able to travel and see all SA has to offer, it is brilliant.

Edited by facmp

Kransie, what exactly do you want to do with the bike?  Here are my feeling on this, and a lot of people will disagree.  Please also remember that I rode the pre-LC 1200 (2011 model DOHC).

• Power corrupts!  Period.  You will always want bigger and/or faster at some stage.
  • The 800 is more balanced in thick sand and mud than the 1200.
  • For long distance touring (tar or plaaspad) I will not think twice about going 1200.
  • The 1200 is easier on your pillions ass.
  • You can carry more luggage at speed on the 1200.  The 800 is comfortable at 140, but who wants to sit at only 140?!
  • If you want to doBotswana, Kalahari or Namibia deserts (not the roads, the bundus) then the 800 is your baby.
So it all depends on what you want to do.  O ja, your build as well, as the 1200 GS and GSA are quite heavy when loaded and standing still.

Also look at the Triumph Tiger (800) or the bigger 1200.  It's like a Merc vs BMW car thing.  I prefer the BMW's over the Triumph, but there is nothing wrong with Triumph.  But, as I mentioned before, BMW service is head and shoulders above the rest!

Let me know and we can chat in private. (And no, I don't work for BMW.  I am in IT)

Thanks for the feedback.I will certainly give you a shout on PM to discuss.I am 6'3.5"and 100 kg :-( and can handle a big bike but like the versatility of the 800 but that shaft drive attacts me from a maintenance aspect in the dirt.I do want to be able to cross the Makdadigadi Pans etc in Bots

Thanks for the feedback.I will certainly give you a shout on PM to discuss.I am 6'3.5"and 100 kg :-( and can handle a big bike but like the versatility of the 800 but that shaft drive attacts me from a maintenance aspect in the dirt.I do want to be able to cross the Makdadigadi Pans etc in Bots

100% Kransie.

• Power corrupts!  Period.  You will always want bigger and/or faster at some stage.
  • The 800 is more balanced in thick sand and mud than the 1200.
  • For long distance touring (tar or plaaspad) I will not think twice about going 1200.
  • The 1200 is easier on your pillions ass.
  • You can carry more luggage at speed on the 1200.  The 800 is comfortable at 140, but who wants to sit at only 140?!
  • If you want to doBotswana, Kalahari or Namibia deserts (not the roads, the bundus) then the 800 is your baby.

So there is a new option besides the standard(boring?) trio of BMW/KTM/Triumph.

If you can wait, Honda has just launched the new African twin, due 2016 or maybe sooner. 1000cc in-line twin.

Looks to be an absolute stunner and the initial reviews are very favourable too.

Would be the best offroad performer too, and the road riding wouldn't be bad either.

Best part if it has a proper front maudgaurd instead of the standard, IMO horrific looking, beak of the other big brands. Well worth a look.

See pic below and link beneath that for more info.....

post-35569-0-60904500-1438862792_thumb.jpg

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-leaked-video/

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-more-photos/

Those nice looking mud guards does not help you a lot if you do want to take this thing into the bush !!! That is why everybody else got those ugly beaks !

So there is a new option besides the standard(boring?) trio of BMW/KTM/Triumph.

If you can wait, Honda has just launched the new African twin, due 2016 or maybe sooner. 1000cc in-line twin.

Looks to be an absolute stunner and the initial reviews are very favourable too.

Would be the best offroad performer too, and the road riding wouldn't be bad either.

Best part if it has a proper front maudgaurd instead of the standard, IMO horrific looking, beak of the other big brands. Well worth a look.

See pic below and link beneath that for more info.....

attachicon.gif1327591Honda-Africa-Twin-2016-2780x390.jpghttp://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-leaked-video/http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-more-photos/

theyt certainly are making a big thing about the honda and I cant wait to see it. Any idea what it will be priced at? I must say the other thing about the GS 800 / Triumph 800 is it is still much more affordable than the KTMs and GS 1200 which are stupid money

ewep; apologies in a way and I take your point. I shouldn't be too quick to run the GS's down unless I have actually ridden one for some time, which I haven't. I have pushed a few in mud and sand, picked up pieces from a few and seen some really hair raising near accidents from maybe the early days when ABS was still used on gravel roads. Service can be iffy and expensive as parts seem to break easily (get water in the engine in Baviaans and it is epic). I wasn't there but read the tale. The rides I have been on (Alfies' DS rides, Rally Raid, Lesotho and in sand) the GS's have battled but it was really light bike country KTM 690, Honda XR 650 etc, possibly KTM 950's and 990's. I have two KTM's and I very seldom go over 150kph on either (RIP quite a few guys).

But the GS's are comfortable (two up also) over the KTM plank, have a lowish seat height and low first gear. Great for good gravel roads and SA's poor tar roads and seemingly pleasant club rides - I know a few of the members.

"My GS goes most places the 2 strokes go in the Inanda valley in Kzn!" well maybe on the gravel roads otherwise I don't think so unless the standard of rider has dropped hugely.

ewep; apologies in a way and I take your point. I shouldn't be too quick to run the GS's down unless I have actually ridden one for some time, which I haven't. I have pushed a few in mud and sand, picked up pieces from a few and seen some really hair raising near accidents from maybe the early days when ABS was still used on gravel roads. Service can be iffy and expensive as parts seem to break easily (get water in the engine in Baviaans and it is epic). I wasn't there but read the tale. The rides I have been on (Alfies' DS rides, Rally Raid, Lesotho and in sand) the GS's have battled but it was really light bike country KTM 690, Honda XR 650 etc, possibly KTM 950's and 990's. I have two KTM's and I very seldom go over 150kph on either (RIP quite a few guys).

But the GS's are comfortable (two up also) over the KTM plank, have a lowish seat height and low first gear. Great for good gravel roads and SA's poor tar roads and seemingly pleasant club rides - I know a few of the members.

"My GS goes most places the 2 strokes go in the Inanda valley in Kzn!" well maybe on the gravel roads otherwise I don't think so unless the standard of rider has dropped hugely.

I dont believe that any one bike is better than another when it comes to this. Its more a case of what suits each individuals needs. For me I have done enough technical **** on my WR450s and KX250s. I am over hill climbs and rocky river beds. I have the t-shirts. I now get my kicks traveling around the country and seeing the most remote places i can find. My GS suits this purpose perfectly. As awesome as the KTM 690 is, it would not be the right bike for this. 

Horses for courses

So in case anyone is wondering what has happened to the progress on the DT..... It's about 95% done - oil, Coolant and Petrol away from being ridden.  Unfortunately, that's how it will be for the next 2months I guess as the builders finish the renovations.  I missed the completion date by one week :cursing:

The tank and seat are in that wooden box.....

post-15215-0-73802200-1438870107_thumb.jpg