Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 6/5/2024 at 12:43 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Dunlop creates history. What a super man. 

Met him in the beer queue at IOM in 2022. Quite unassuming dude. I offered to buy him a beer. He declined my offer as he was buying for his crew. 

IMG_9679.jpeg

Wins again. Number 28. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 950 was running low in the revs and would cut out easily when coming to a stop, to the point where you have to keep the choke open a bit to keep the idle revs up.

The dude I bought it from pointed this out when I test rode the bike, and my neighbour who also has a 950 noted that the revs should sit at 1400 when warm and idling.

Decided not to say much to the seller RE this.

I went to fill her up at the BP leaving Franschhoek and she would not start again .. bit on anxiety setting thinking I bought a lemon. Called the seller and he came over ASAP to jumpstart her, and following the ride back home the battery has been 100% with every start. This is a new batter installed Dec. 2023, but the bike has been sitting in the shed doing the odd test ride down the road, so not getting the chance to recharge.  All in, the seller was/is a pretty cool guy, and helpful .. so lekker find.

Did the choke thing on the way home, she cut out twice, so a little more choke....made a turn by my neighbour, he opened her up where we noticed that the air filter was a brand new K&N performance type filter (Lekker) the snorkel and airbox is spotless, digging deeper to the carbs, quick adjustments while idling to bring her to the 1400 mark and now she starts straight away with no choke, idles beautifully and does not cut out.

Ride home from Franschhoek to Table View (Pre idle being sorted) was a blast, she is rather agile, it is nice to be elevated to see over cars vs the low slung Harley and she is quick. 

The HD shows how torque feels, but the 950 was my first real experience with what decent horsepower feels like.....and it feels good.

She feels happiest just cruising along at 140Km/h while sitting at 5000rpm and if you open the throttle awesome things happen after 7000rpm.

I am looking forward to this bike and what she can offer.

Tomorrow she will get a good clean and a another spin again.

image.jpeg.697c72933f9356e3ac695bf750f95966.jpeg

Sitting at the BP with a flat battery

image.jpeg.1d2eeb444848833cc9b8c6b553826d3e.jpeg

At home, and the luggage removed

As of this afternoon she is officially licensed and plated in my name ... really feels like "mine" now.

I must compliment the CoCT satellite office at Table Bay Mall.

Left home at 12:00, got the registration and license sorted out, and then the plate printed at the shop next door and was back home at 12:50. Not even an hour including travel.

Congrats on the 950, welcome to the dark world.

"Did the choke thing on the way home, she cut out twice, so a little more choke........", could be indicative of carbs needing cleaning although I have had a KTM where the plug cap was the guilty party, only discovered after multiple carb cleans.

K&N filters not recommended for dusty conditions; it is a long storey. OEM paper (?) or oiled foam is my suggestion. Not sure which is OEM.

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Congrats on the 950, welcome to the dark world.

"Did the choke thing on the way home, she cut out twice, so a little more choke........", could be indicative of carbs needing cleaning although I have had a KTM where the plug cap was the guilty party, only discovered after multiple carb cleans.

K&N filters not recommended for dusty conditions; it is a long storey. OEM paper (?) or oiled foam is my suggestion. Not sure which is OEM.

The one installed is a washable filter to be oiled. It was a little on the dry side, so we oiled this when getting the idle set.

Hi All

So you all know I just picked my "new to me" 2003 KTM 950 Adventure S up on Saturday from Guy No.1. The person I bought it from, did not have the bike for long, and the previous owner Guy No. 2 did the service himself from the looks of things on the 2nd December 2023, with the ODO on 69531km.

I got the bike on just under 69864km and have now at 70300km, so a total of 761km since the "service" and 436km since I have had her. So she has not been ridden much.

I have noticed a patch of oil under the bike which bothered me, but I recall when I checked the oil (hot bike) the level was on the top limit mark and when checking this against the user manual it tells me at hot the oil should me mid point in the dipstick with the bike level or on the center stand. My assumption is that the motor is spitting out the excess oil, and the Guy No. 2 did the EPS and whatever delete, so the excess oil is just spitting out and down vs going back into the engine?

This got me digging deeper into the slips with the service sheet he has, and I noticed that he used Castrol Edge (Synthetic) 5w40. How much of a stuff up is it that he used a 5w, and then also not the higher grades of fancy name oils on the bike? Should I be flushing out this and replacing with new, and can I do damage to the bike with this oil vs a synthetic 10w50 that the user manual calls for?

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

Hi All

So you all know I just picked my "new to me" 2003 KTM 950 Adventure S up on Saturday from Guy No.1. The person I bought it from, did not have the bike for long, and the previous owner Guy No. 2 did the service himself from the looks of things on the 2nd December 2023, with the ODO on 69531km.

I got the bike on just under 69864km and have now at 70300km, so a total of 761km since the "service" and 436km since I have had her. So she has not been ridden much.

I have noticed a patch of oil under the bike which bothered me, but I recall when I checked the oil (hot bike) the level was on the top limit mark and when checking this against the user manual it tells me at hot the oil should me mid point in the dipstick with the bike level or on the center stand. My assumption is that the motor is spitting out the excess oil, and the Guy No. 2 did the EPS and whatever delete, so the excess oil is just spitting out and down vs going back into the engine?

This got me digging deeper into the slips with the service sheet he has, and I noticed that he used Castrol Edge (Synthetic) 5w40. How much of a stuff up is it that he used a 5w, and then also not the higher grades of fancy name oils on the bike? Should I be flushing out this and replacing with new, and can I do damage to the bike with this oil vs a synthetic 10w50 that the user manual calls for?

Oil selection is a rabbit hole of note. I would go with the manual and use Motorex, Motul or whatever as I don't ride much so its affordable. I fill the amount specified in the manual, only use sight glass/dipstick for checks. Many, many use commercial motor oils BUT change frequently so I would say damage is unlikely.

I would try get to the bottom of where the oil is coming from; airbox (from being overfull etc) or a leak. My experience - these bikes have something that needs attending to if they leak oil.

Wildogs and Advrider be your friend although there are 1000's of posts to sift through.

4 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Oil selection is a rabbit hole of note. I would go with the manual and use Motorex, Motul or whatever as I don't ride much so its affordable. I fill the amount specified in the manual, only use sight glass/dipstick for checks. Many, many use commercial motor oils BUT change frequently so I would say damage is unlikely.

I would try get to the bottom of where the oil is coming from; airbox (from being overfull etc) or a leak. My experience - these bikes have something that needs attending to if they leak oil.

Wildogs and Advrider be your friend although there are 1000's of posts to sift through.

digging deeper it may the be coming from the gear selector switch.

doing a bit of a degreasing exercise between work so that it will be easier to identify.

base and head gaskets do not look to be showing any signs of sweating or leaks...oils is around the hydraulic clutch and gear shifter area.

If your bike calls for synthetic oi, then that is what you should use. Check the recommended spec as well. Many brands will sell the correct weight, but then the spec is not

5 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

If your bike calls for synthetic oi, then that is what you should use. Check the recommended spec as well. Many brands will sell the correct weight, but then the spec is not

Got hold of an engineering friend who dabbled a good bit with oils. It is ok to ride with, but will drain the bike soon any way and replace with new good compatible oil.

On 6/13/2024 at 11:05 PM, Hairy said:

I noticed that he used Castrol Edge (Synthetic) 5w40. How much of a stuff up is it that he used a 5w, and then also not the higher grades of fancy name oils on the bike? Should I be flushing out this and replacing with new, and can I do damage to the bike with this oil vs a synthetic 10w50 that the user manual calls for?

One thing to beware of is using a modern car synthetic oil in a bike with a wet plate clutch. These oils have low friction additives which can upset a wet plate clutch.