Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 6/14/2024 at 12:18 PM, Hairy said:

digging deeper it may the be coming from the gear selector switch.

doing a bit of a degreasing exercise between work so that it will be easier to identify.

base and head gaskets do not look to be showing any signs of sweating or leaks...oils is around the hydraulic clutch and gear shifter area.

Thinking about it another spot on KTM's that can leal oil is the countershaft seal behind the front sprocket, particularly if the chain is too tight. On many / some KTM's the chain can look slack so follow the tensioning procedure in the manual.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next week Saturday I leave with 3 mates for a week in the highlands and do the NC500. Have done it before but rushed it a bit so this time I want to chill. Been looking at the BMW panniers for my GSA but they go for around 850 quid. Even on eBay they are few and far between and go for large coin. 

was reading Ride magazine and they had an article on best buys. One of the items was Oxford soft panniers. Bingo moment. Looked into it. Oxford P50s are 199 retail. I thought that’s a lot of cash for something I am not 100 percent sure would work due to high exhaust and pannier racks. Looked on eBay. 35 quid including postage. Boom. Also bought a top bag for 27 quid. 

and can use this system on all my bikes. Does not look brilliant but will get the job done and some. 
spot the orange cable ties. Proper Pooratech. 

56B3BD14-A2CB-467A-840A-38EE6504087F.jpeg

IMG_9706.jpeg

We made the most of the long weekend and did a quick adventure trip.

Saturday… Jhb to Underberg, KZN. We threw in a bit of offroad on the way down and it was a very long day sunrise to sunset. Potholes, cows/donkeys crossing & the sun’s azimuth was straight into the eyes at sunset so vis was dangerously shite (helmet sun visor can only do so much)!

Sunday… up Sani Pass past all the hikers (who choose the same lines 😊) then chased time to get through Lesotho before the border post closed. Afriski was super busy & lunch took longer than anticipated so it ended up being a very long & cold day in the mountains. We saw snow but luckily there was no ice on the roads of Lesotho. Amazing adventure! Spent last night in Fouriesburg & glad to be home in one piece!

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

Edited by Chad Minnaar

2 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Next week Saturday I leave with 3 mates for a week in the highlands and do the NC500. Have done it before but rushed it a bit so this time I want to chill. Been looking at the BMW panniers for my GSA but they go for around 850 quid. Even on eBay they are few and far between and go for large coin. 

was reading Ride magazine and they had an article on best buys. One of the items was Oxford soft panniers. Bingo moment. Looked into it. Oxford P50s are 199 retail. I thought that’s a lot of cash for something I am not 100 percent sure would work due to high exhaust and pannier racks. Looked on eBay. 35 quid including postage. Boom. Also bought a top bag for 27 quid. 

and can use this system on all my bikes. Does not look brilliant but will get the job done and some. 
spot the orange cable ties. Proper Pooratech. 

56B3BD14-A2CB-467A-840A-38EE6504087F.jpeg

IMG_9706.jpeg

very unprofessional not cutting the excess cable tie off....that stuff will poke a hole eventually in the material .. or you.

26 minutes ago, Hairy said:

very unprofessional not cutting the excess cable tie off....that stuff will poke a hole eventually in the material .. or you.

That’s exactly what I did after foto. Then the ground literally fell away in awe of the GSA. 

no panel damage, a few scars. Life’s like that. 

IMG_9710.jpeg

IMG_9711.jpeg

15 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

That’s exactly what I did after foto. Then the ground literally fell away in awe of the GSA. 

no panel damage, a few scars. Life’s like that. 

IMG_9710.jpeg

IMG_9711.jpeg

Shows you, those GSA's are too heavy :P

Would love to know what insurance would say if they received a pic like that.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Shows you, those GSA's are too heavy :P

Would love to know what insurance would say if they received a pic like that.

They are heavy. Heaviest bike I have ever owned I think. But on the move you don’t feel it at all. Feels very nimble. 

bike has a few scars. My excess is 500. This ones on me. 😢

just one of those things. To amend an old adage, 2 types of bikers, those that have dropped their bikes and those that are still going to drop their bikes. 😂😂

The past long weekend was great. 

The wife and my middle son went to ride bikes at Hennops. We have a small issue that my middle son is riding my bicycle, and I only have one bicycle so it's either him or me riding. The tradition is to visit Ale house after the trek out to Hennops, for a Beer and Pizza.

With me not riding bicycle, I was free to hop on my moto for a bit of a daytrip. The plan was that I would meet up at Ale House after the bicycle ride.

I headed out west towards Pinehaven and eventaully the N14. This is the closest dirt road of any distance, and route options from my house, so it's been my go-to lately.

The road was recently graded, which made for some snaky riding, with the occasional ninja-rock waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting front wheel.

WW1.jpg.e8d4f2e105ab80d43abb818bb798ba89.jpg

I had no route in mind, so I ended up following the dirt road for as long as I can. It crosses various tar roads, I have explored lefts and rights on this road before, and this time, I wanted to basically see where it ends up.

WW2.jpg.46f1a2c9372e73ceb13580be36c2e1e6.jpg

The Graded section eventually stopped, and I had to negotiate some wash-outs and careful line choices.

By this time, I was travelling south more than I was travelling west. I needed to head north at one stage,and then east again to make my way back to the meet-up point.

I stopped to consult Google maps to get a bit of a bird-s eye view of where I was in the world.

WW3.jpg.db30341802630f0c28d76f859d384228.jpg

After the above photo, the road made a right-turn and I was heading in the correct Direction.

The fields looking like typical winter highveld landscapes.

WW4.jpg.8e15bcb6fb3b03397459f1d03965635b.jpg

At a familiar t-junction, I take another right, and I am now heading towards rustenburg. The road is looking familiar, the previous time I rode it in the opposite direction.

WW5.jpg.eacd509a62b5b696b8dcf8ece64e2489.jpg

WW6.jpg.df7d32c53c44edb3c45a0789f1e6e10a.jpg

Heading towards Rustenburg, the landscape becomes less Flat Highveld-like and more hilly, with some bosveld and trees becoming more pertinent. It's mostly wattle and bluegum.

WW8.jpg.097aa00ee5a244ddc6ded44cde665cf0.jpg

As I was cruising along I spotted something in the bushes. A moerse Koedoe to my right amongst the grazing cattle, I tried to stop as quickly as possible without too much of a racket. Dismounted and walked back to the opening in the trees/bushes but the Koedoe was long gone. I guess that's why these creatures become so big, and are as elusive as they are.

The road down to the tar towards rustenburg is very entertaining, small ups and downs with some corners between the hills.

I hit tar road and head east. 

Not long after, I see the Mogallywood Brewery sign, and head that way on the Dirt road. Before the entrance, I give the wife a quick call to see where they are on the route. They still have a bit of riding to do, so I stop in for a beer. Roeks and his Wife Lauren welcomes me like an old friend, and I enjoy a refreshing Draught.

WW9.jpg.a38917f4d231dcccf02f7709356e3e37.jpg

As my second beer arrives, I get a call from the wife, they are done riding (shortcuts taken) and are on their wat to Alehouse.

I settle my bill and head out to join them. I thought I was closer than I was to Alehouse (time moves differently on a bike) 

I make my way there with a higher pace than normal. 

When I arrive my pizza is waiting, with a freshly poured Blonde.

The family time was great, and we all head back home.

Just shy of 300km, with some nice memories.

WW7.jpg

WW7.jpg

Edited by RocknRolla
Spelling and photo's removed

2 hours ago, Spokey said:

Prepping the Baby Honda for a show at Sedgefield this Sunday. Big brother 750 will be there too.IMG_1033.jpeg.2ba28c226d0be1e1b5533b1c1308a4c1.jpeg

Just love those slanted headers on that bike.

Fitted the tail pack and some hear resistant tape to the side bag. 

63 quid all in including the tape. Excluding the cable ties. 😂. Well impressed with myself. 

weather looking grim for the week we in Scotland, but us manly men will suck it up.

IMG_9724.jpeg.4a0e7cc83deb44ed88de5c4cadb6e164.jpegIMG_9723.jpeg.2637cd3d35db05b648bd77bde17c8f12.jpegIMG_9724.jpeg.4a0e7cc83deb44ed88de5c4cadb6e164.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

A quick LED build upgrade via KTM Species (Previously called BSR Motorsports) and one can actually see where you are going in the dark now.

Popped in a new Motobatt battery from Flying Brick (Best pricing after calling around, and that is their on the floor price, not a price you have to ask for "discount for")

KTM species found the idle throttle cable that was lodges somewhere odd behind a fairing, this has the idle up to spec, and she no longer cuts out if not hot hot hot at a stop street or traffic light.

They also isolated an air leak in the air box, and sorted that out.

All in their service and pricing was rather pretty damned decent.

Next up on the list is to replace the starter motor clutch and the stator cover (hairline crack to the casing) ... will do a JB weld solution over the crack till I get both of these items sorted by KTM Species.

image.jpeg.c6e81b49a751f9d4574c60dae3230bed.jpeg

2024 R1300GS Trophy with Enduro pack and sport suspension. 
Absolute hoot offroad. Freaking torque monster. This thing wants to turn the earth.