What to wear during winter training

Ok, so I have dropped a few kilos and lately I feel the cold more and to top it all I am currently fighting the mother of all Flu Bugs!

The question I have for you seasoned fellas... How do you stay warm while training in winter and specifically when its a bit more chilly (cold front)? Previously I would just layer ( non cycling t shirts vests etc) clothing and top off with a budget track suit top.

A lot of my kit doesn't fit anymore and for me cycling kit is an investment. I bought three decent cycling tops and shorts just before winter and enjoyed the good fit and paid a bit more for the shorts and felt the difference. Same brand just better model ( Cape Storm...I know... some of us are battlers).

I get that there are arm and leg warmers available so those are a must. Brand??? First Ascent look good and good value. Then there is a thermal "under" layer and full gloves.

What about a jacket or top layer (shell)?

The temperature when you start a ride is not always the temp when you finish.

Some winter days after working up a sweat, I feel like my sweat almost freezes on down hills and flat sections after a steady hill.

When I hit the LBS with my hard earned Moola it would be nice to know that I am getting the right stuff and not wasting money on whatever the "lightie" suggests.

What do you guys wear? Any tips appreciated!

My thanks

Edited by Ryanie

Try Anatomic if you are counting the pennies, works fine for me. Winter evenings I use a thermal vest and my normal cycling shirt but keep arm warmers and a gillet in my backpack just in case I stay out later than planned.

Winters mornings I add a couple of buffs (for the head and neck) and long fingered gloves.

Layer as much as possible,but know how much you can carry If some need to come off.

I invested a bit more in warmers and got giordana(extremely happy) tried those and first accent and there's no comparison!

Anatomic thermal socks

For longer rides I will wear a 2nd skin or thermal,cycling jersey and a jacket that's wind proof.

Buff is a must have!!! Asides from the obvious reasons, breathing in warm air through the buff is a luxury in the cold.

Last of all my early morning training around 4am to 6.30am.I wear a 1.5mm westuit top.its is amazingly warm and wind proof! Also helps me burn the extra fat I got atm.you sweat profuseley and your bib will be soaked(Do not ride with this during the day though you will over heat)

Maybe that can help

Put some money into the little things like booties or the anatomic thermal toe caps. Cycling beanie is also great and when it warms up its easy to remove and put in a pocket. As mentioned a buff is great. Cheap and keeps the neck warm.

The anatomic thermal socks are good value. They also make a wind proof chest bib thing that goes under your jersey. Very useful

For the rest layer. You can spend huge money

As much as possible!

I tend to go the other way, rather cold at beginning of ride than end up with loads of kit to carry home.

Keep core warm with base layer.

Full finger gloves.

Arm warmers.

If very cold then something to keep ears warm.

Decent winter clothes are worth the financial investment now. You only need them maybe 3 - 4 months of the year so they should last you many years. You need wickdry base layers so you get the sweat off your skin so you don't get cold on the downhills. Cape Storm sell good base layers. Wear your normal shorts with full leg leggings- Anatomic's leggings are crap. I would rather look at decent European kit - Santini, Giordana, Pearl Izumi. Assos is silly money. Get zip up booties to cover you shoes (Anatomic is fine). A decent jacket is a must and once again the European stuff is worth the investment. Craft make a nice jacket that is good for winter with layers and good for Autumn and spring on it's one or just a vest. Don't wear the raincoat type shell jackets. You sweat too much in those, get wet and then get really cold. One buff around your head and ears, the other around your neck. Good quality winter gloves also NB.

Layers are good with a decent moisture absorbing baselayer, then a long jersey and a decent fleece lined jacket. For the rain just keep a First Ascent Apple jacket as a backup. Santini, Castelli and Assos are the bees kness for jackets but pricey. There is a thread on winter jackets and gloves. For bibs het some 3/4 or full length. I got a killer deal on Castelli 3/4 bibs from Maestro's in Pta sub R500.

Anatomic leg and arm warmers and long fingered gloves. I also swopped my waterproof windbreaker for a second skin top which is lighter and works wonders over arm warmers. Also easy to strip off and stuff in a back pocket of things warm up.

Also take a look at the TENN branded stuff that Sportsworld is offering. Imported from UK so should work in the cold!

Edited by Dazshell

Anatomic leg and arm warmers and long fingered gloves. I also swopped my waterproof windbreaker for a second skin top which is lighter and works wonders over arm warmers. Also easy to strip off and stuff in a back pocket of things warm up.

Also take a look at the TENN branded stuff that Sportsworld is offering. Imported from UK so should work in the cold!

Yeah - I second that. I bought 1 of the long sleeve TENN tops and maaaan are they great quality and price to boot

http://www.sportsworld.co.za/

With a good enough quality winter jacket all you need under is a base layer like a compression top. Good gloves are a must. Thick ones for really cold mornings, thinner for before it gets too cold. And booties to cover your toes.

I don't like buffs on my head as I feel I overheat, sometimes need a cover just for the ears, but tends to come off soon into the ride.

I don't wear leg Warner's except if really cold.

Hey you know what I found at pick n pay. .

One of those sleevless waterproof jackets.. it has a zip at the back to carry stuff.. was only R140.. perfect to just keep the chill off the chest.