Emmarentia to become paid access only?

Rata Del Spruit

My self and my mates run our pit bulls and ride at Emm's almost everyday!!!!

There are trails for both bikers and a whole park for dog walkers, the key is to share the park!

The MTB Bike trail is on the outer part of the park.

Don't flipping race downhill pace past the grannies and dog walkers, it is a chilled Botanical park- Shared by all- THINK OF THE DOGS!

Dog walkers and Grannies please don't walk on the MTB single tracks.

During the week the park is quiet, nice time to ride, better yet there is a whole spruit to ride up and down..

HIT THE SPRUIT HARD!!

How about the implementation of friendly sounding bike bells when riding at Emmarentia parks?

This seems to work at Delta park.

Guys whatever the situation, there will always be bickering and B.S issues between walkers and riders.

As there will be with cars and bicycles.

A the end of the day we going to have to pay to ride, run and walk at Emms.

Following this , DO NOT BE SURPRISED IF THEY TAKE THE PARK AWAY FROM US RIDERS, US DOG WALKERS AND RUNNERS ALIKE!

Roodepoort botanical gardens here we come.

Thank you....nail hammer head.. :thumbup:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't agree with you.

I ride a lot through Emmarentia, and it IS a place for walkers and dogs etc, as well as bikes. It's the W@NKERS who think they are in a photo finish bombing through the park, feeling entitled to ride at breakneck speed for eveyone to get the hell out of their way that are wrecking this for ALL - riders, walkers dogs etc.

Slow down, and avoid walkers and dogs, including those off the lead. Walkers will see you being considerate, and dial down their hostility to the riders in response - I have personally witnessed this. If you are such a meneer racer, go and ride on dedicated trails - don't inflict yoursellf on an area that is clearly being used by all kinds of people for enjoyment, and then bitching when you collide with a dog because you are bombing through a family park at 50km/h - grow up and dial down your selfish self-entitlement

Look at the photo above your post - see a SINGLE LEASH?

I ride slowly and with consideration - usually around the walkers.

It would be lovely if the dog walkers kept their animals on a leash and stopped letting them **** everywhere.

Perhaps, you should check up on the bylaws - ALL DOGS TO BE ON A LEASH AT ALL TIMES.

You are a prime example of the inconsiderate dog owners I am referring to - you don't own the park.

Edited by nonky

Hmmm.... the Northcliff Melville Times, sometimes it seems their articles are on par with the Daily Sun's. I'd say a pinch of salt may be in order.

http://www.botanical...ages/Rates.aspx Suppose that will then be aplicable and at the end of the day it is not to bad. I'm sure they will then be forced to do something about those dogs...

Why the heck are they charging different rates for "African resident" and "Overseas resident"? For an individual and a year it's R375 and R675. What difference does it make where you come from?

What bollocks.

I remember when Ross and I were coming down the hill in Alberts farm and some okes dog chowed Ross on the leg.

Dog was off the leash, owner tells Ross to get over it and move on.

Why the heck are they charging different rates for "African resident" and "Overseas resident"? For an individual and a year it's R375 and R675. What difference does it make where you come from?

What bollocks.

This is SA, the more you have the more they want.

Its called entitlement

Guest Zeitgeist

Ok sweetness.

Top end dedicated indoor cycles...Dom Perignon budget....You need a dedicated room for this cause the trainers are bulky, not that easy to move around and dedicated to one thing...training. Two options here....Wattbike / Cyclops 420. These are state of the art machines with all the bells and whistles. They don't neccesarily give any more functionality than top end ergo IDT's, they just make it easier from a setup / get up and go point of view.

Top end IDT / ergo trainers...You don't need a dedicated room for this option since they are easy to move around. They do require a bike locked into it. They offer powerbased HIT training with the trainer's resistance automatically adjusting / Virtual races...very nice and quite a bit of fun racing against virtual partners / online people around the world / Virtual routes...create a virtual route in google earth or download previous ride into software or ride a famous route with video that speeds up or slows down as you are riding. There are only two options here....Wahoo kickr and Cylops Powerbeam Pro. They both excellent trainers that don't lock you into any software(analysis and operating) so they stick to what they do best...indoor trainers, they don't try and be a software house over and above. Proper local backup with the cyclops sealed the deal for me, the kickr however does support both Ant and Bluetooth which is a huge plus.

Middle of the road budget turbo trainers....This is a bit of no man's land ito functionality and price, There is only one in this bracket and its the Kurt Kinetic road machine. Very good build quality and guaranteed to never loose fluid due to its design. Also with the inride add-on that you can purchase later on, you can do powerbased training for quite a bit less than the top end trainers. It also allows great interfacing into Trainerroad and Virtual training. There is also the Bkool trainer which seems very good and packs some great functionality, but due to the lack of backup I wouldn't consider it at the moment.

Bottom of the pile...Rollers will be my option here, it is stimulating and although it will be hard to hit certain training zones(due to lack of resistance settings) will still give you a descent workout. They are also very mobile in the sense that you can take them anywhere anytime and get a nice spin, they are also much cheaper that IDT's

Currently we have a Kickr on loan at home, the missus has been using it and it does the trick nicely.

As for get-on and ride, the kickr with your smartphone/tablet is a very easy setup.

Did Angels on Trainerroad this morning,and i must say i really enjoyed it.

To use trainerroad, you will need a ant+ usb stick (i used a suunto one)

This setup however requires a laptop/pc.

once the software is set up, trainer and sensors paired, its as simple as openning a workout from the vast library, and ride. Trainerroad however requires a payment for the software, and either montly subscription or yearly payment. - For ease of use, in terms of ready-to-ride training programs, i think this is great.

Sufferfest also offers rubber glove, a workout to determine your FTP - essential to have powertrainers work for you.

There is a Computrainer waiting to be set up and tested as well. I have heardit could be tricky to set up, hopefully it's not too much of a struggle. - Will give feedback on this as well.

Kickr pro's for me:

Casette built onto trainer, thus no need for trainer wheel or excessive wear on tyres.

Bluetooth and ant+, out the box with the smartphone app, this will get you training quick-quick.

Like Rouxtjie said, you are not tied in to any one software program, so you can use whatever floats your boat.

Quiet. this could be a dealbreaker, if like us, you live in a shoebox, without a dedicated pain cave.

Look at the photo above your post - see a SINGLE LEASH?

I ride slowly and with consideration - usually around the walkers.

It would be lovely if the dog walkers kept their animals on a leash and stopped letting them **** everywhere.

Perhaps, you should check up on the bylaws - ALL DOGS TO BE ON A LEASH AT ALL TIMES.

You are a prime example of the inconsiderate dog owners I am referring to - you don't own the park.

Naaa my friend, it seems that YOU are the problem. Drawing the raft of conclusions as you did from my profile pic proves this, as it took very little for you to get aggressive and abusive - only guilty people do this. W@nker riders like you are the reason the rest get a bad name - I love the way you say " I ride slowly and with consideration - usually around the walkers" - self-entitled knobs like you cause all the problems, and no, the walkers don't think they own the park, they merely want to enjoy it without kamikaze riders smashing into everybody. I only ride in the park, and I do not walk my dog there EVER. I just suffer from an ailment called consideration - maybe ask your doctor to ease off on the stupid pills and give you some "be nice and considerate" pills

What bollocks.

it's the same with many of the reserves and game parks, there's a SA resident rate and a overseas visitors rate .. nothing sinister - promise.

Naaa my friend, it seems that YOU are the problem. Drawing the raft of conclusions as you did from my profile pic proves this, as it took very little for you to get aggressive and abusive - only guilty people do this. W@nker riders like you are the reason the rest get a bad name - I love the way you say " I ride slowly and with consideration - usually around the walkers" - self-entitled knobs like you cause all the problems, and no, the walkers don't think they own the park, they merely want to enjoy it without kamikaze riders smashing into everybody. I only ride in the park, and I do not walk my dog there EVER. I just suffer from an ailment called consideration - maybe ask your doctor to ease off on the stupid pills and give you some "be nice and considerate" pills

Que....trainers?

I am confused

..as hierdie Survivor was het ek Zeitgeist afgevote.

:thumbdown:

The thing for me, is there are a-holes all over the spruit...in all these groups

Runners

Watt watchers

Spruit rats

Dog walkers

Hobos

Saying that it is solely one group's fault that cyclists now have a bad rep is a bit of a sweeping statement. Our "spuit@8" group are the most chilled ride ever....its a coffee ride...a chatty ride, definitely not a training ride. We all roll with bells and now and again bring the wives. Yes you get the odd racing snake poephol with his C-Batch SAS board still attached to his bike thinking he is kulhavy = idiot. You also get the odd spruit rat that thinks he is GM blasting inches past kids and dogs in an endo position = idiot. Some of them even get chirpy and tender for a pakslae, but that is another story.

Edited by rouxtjie

I remember when Ross and I were coming down the hill in Alberts farm and some okes dog chowed Ross on the leg.

Dog was off the leash, owner tells Ross to get over it and move on.

Did Ross make it? :)

I think what Zeitgeist is trying to say, is rather use the trainer at home than emmerentia.

Other than weirdly being quoted in this thread, I have nothing to add, nor do I give a stuff about access to Emmerentia damn park.