Metro police: wrong direction?

NotShatterProof

Hi Hubbers,

Last night while commuting home I was forcibly pulled over and stopped by a metro police vehicle complete with flashing lights and siren. The police officer inside rolled down his window and told me that if I was killed it was my own fault and I was looking for trouble. Totally surprised I pointed out my various lights on my bike (which were all on), and that I was wearing a helmet and other safety gear. To this he replied my problem was that I was not allowed to cycle on the left hand side of the road, and that all cyclists should be riding into oncoming traffic (on the wrong side). I have been commuting to work for 25 years, and for the last 10 of those between Pretoria and Jo-burg, and I have never heard anything so crazy. Can anyone shed some light on this, why would the metro police be under this impression. Any comments or opinions out there?

You are joking right, did you take his badge number?

Afraid not, I was so completely stunned (and they were pretty belligerent) that I just wanted to get out of there.

Gawd.... this needs to be read at the same time as the saps rant thread and the tembisa commuters thread... Instead of helping commuters.. Looks like saps is wanting to kill us

He may have been thinking how to make it safer for you to ride. His background was probably growing up in a township, where the road rules are different to the law.

Thank him, and offer to buy him a coffie. In a nice way as you have done, explain why its better to follow the law.

Yikes! Scary!

He was probably thinking of runners that generally should face oncoming traffic.

I can just imagine this...The Metro OC standing in front of the morning briefing and Saying remember guys that cyclists must cycle on the left hand side of the road ..Raising he's left hand to emphasise the statement...Forgetting all the metro cops are facing forward.

to answer your thread title question, Yes, Metro is headed in the wrong direction, along with the rest of this country.

I wish I could escape....

That is my problem with traffic cops. They have no clue about the road rules yet they are there to enforce it. Reminds me of one of my fellow members that was knocked over by a cop and the response of the cop was that he was not suppose to cycle there. It was a normal road and not a highway or something special.