WIGGINS DROPPED FROM SKY FOR TDF 2014

Waynehans

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not read the whole thread, so sorri if its been mentioned already:

By all accounts and results Froome is the best Sky candidate for TDF victory, that's all that counts and nothing to do with being knighted or the poms favorite rider etc....

Obviously the majority of Poms will side with Wiggins but currently assuming all are fit and well for TDF Froome and Quintana (if he raced TDF 2014) are the only riders who have a hope of beating Contador. Wiggins has as of yet NOT DONE ANYTHING to indicate he has the form to compete for TDF podium. TOC...pah...

Sky are sticking to the plan, which was that Froome would be the #1 rider for TDF in 2014, now that the race is almost upon us people are wondering why Wiggins is not in the Team...its simple... the rider with the BEST chance of winning the race will be selected and said rider will have some say who he wants in the team to support him.

So why not put wiggo in the team to help Froome...LOL....Would Froome and Wiggins willingly share the same room during the tour, or sit next to each other on the plane / bus?

NOPE

Can you (Brailford) trust that they will put aside personal feelings when the mercury hits 30C and the director sportifs are screaming faster, faster....?

NOPE

Its simple, human emotions cannot be trusted

QED

Head says Contador and haert days Nibali

I was for Froome last year

Now that he got a Tour win, I'm with 'Berto.

I do have a soft spot for Nibs after being part of Leaky Gas

not a fan of all three 'contenders' - desperately hoping for an 'upset' from an 'upstart'.....

Not sure what Dave B is playing at. He should be ruling Sky with an iron fist especially since he's not sharing the day job with UK cycling. Every coach knows that you should be able to run the team and not have the team run you... Wiggins gave his interview to the BBC. If that's not a big F-you to Sky the broadcaster, then I'm not sure what is.

1888748_874789292534518_8141154891558339413_n.png

Putting all the personal stuff aside, i just don't see how a professional team doesn't put out it's strongest athletes. Winning sportsmen often have 'big' personalities, managers have to manage them, that's what they're paid to do. Ask any manager of a winning outfit - any F1 team, any football, rugby, baseball etc team if they care about which of their drivers wins, or who scores the most or winning goals, tries etc. They couldn't care less. As long as the team wins and the athletes put in a proper professional performance they've done their job.

Clearly the two strongest GC riders Sky have are Wiggins and Froome, by omitting either one Brailsford is conceding that he can't do his job properly and is compromising the teams chances of winning.

I was for Froome last year

Now that he got a Tour win, I'm with 'Berto.

I do have a soft spot for Nibs after being part of Leaky Gas

I was also for Froome last year. Actually still trying to persuade myself to back the guy again but somehow my liking of the guy took a plunge. I really did not like Berto at all until fairly recently. Backing him instead of Froome probably does speak volumes. I think Froome and Wiggo are not both in the TDF team because Sky found out they are secretly lovers

Edited by Jaco-fiets

I'm a Contador fan, so good to see he has some good form to match Froome.

I doubt Wiggo will ride Le Tour. I read in a report today that he is putting on weight for his track riding at the Commonwealth Games. So that says he is not planning to ride tour, despite what Sky are saying that team not selected yet.

Have not read the whole thread, so sorri if its been mentioned already:

By all accounts and results Froome is the best Sky candidate for TDF victory, that's all that counts and nothing to do with being knighted or the poms favorite rider etc....

Obviously the majority of Poms will side with Wiggins but currently assuming all are fit and well for TDF Froome and Quintana (if he raced TDF 2014) are the only riders who have a hope of beating Contador. Wiggins has as of yet NOT DONE ANYTHING to indicate he has the form to compete for TDF podium. TOC...pah...

Sky are sticking to the plan, which was that Froome would be the #1 rider for TDF in 2014, now that the race is almost upon us people are wondering why Wiggins is not in the Team...its simple... the rider with the BEST chance of winning the race will be selected and said rider will have some say who he wants in the team to support him.

So why not put wiggo in the team to help Froome...LOL....Would Froome and Wiggins willingly share the same room during the tour, or sit next to each other on the plane / bus?

NOPE

Can you (Brailford) trust that they will put aside personal feelings when the mercury hits 30C and the director sportifs are screaming faster, faster....?

NOPE

Its simple, human emotions cannot be trusted

QED

Hmm, Yeah I hear you, but Sky is different to most other teams in that they are sole name sponsors of the cycling team, and although the SKY cycling public face will be filled with the bluster of "I pick the teams" - SKY the money has other fish to fry.

This is a huge British company and as such has, firstly, a huge social responsibility to the British public and secondly to British athletes.

Leaving Wiggins out of a home base start, would be akin to making Jonah Lomu of the "All Blacks" captain of the Springboks and leaving out Victor Matfield, then playing the biggest game at Loftus,... there would be an absolute riot in SA and rightly so.

There is huge home country pride in local athletes and Sky would be mindful that this is also about a social responsibility to their public that they cannot simply brush aside like that.

My feeling is, and mark my words :) - if Wiggins wants to ride, he is in good enough shape and Brailsford leaves him out of the TDF in favor of a foreign rider, there will be a riot amongst the British Cycling Public, and the Sky brand will take an enormous amount of abuse both in social and the formal media, and I think rightly so.....this anyway, will not please the money bosses behind SKY.

Sky cycling is a very, very, small part of the SKY brand, maybe they will put on a brave public face and say it was all up to Sir Brailsford etc, etc, but, believe me, there will be changes later, this is a multi billion pound business based on and supportive of British interests and support of British social structures, there is no way they would be happy with the negative publicity leaving an in form Wiggins out of the tour could potentially bring. No Way.!

Hmm, Yeah I hear you, but Sky is different to most other teams in that they are sole name sponsors of the cycling team, and although the SKY cycling public face will be filled with the bluster of "I pick the teams" - SKY the money has other fish to fry.

This is a huge British company and as such has, firstly, a huge social responsibility to the British public and secondly to British athletes.

Leaving Wiggins out of a home base start, would be akin to making Jonah Lomu of the "All Blacks" captain of the Springboks and leaving out Victor Matfield, then playing the biggest game at Loftus,... there would be an absolute riot in SA and rightly so.

There is huge home country pride in local athletes and Sky would be mindful that this is also about a social responsibility to their public that they cannot simply brush aside like that.

My feeling is, and mark my words :) - if Wiggins wants to ride, he is in good enough shape and Brailsford leaves him out of the TDF in favor of a foreign rider, there will be a riot amongst the British Cycling Public, and the Sky brand will take an enormous amount of abuse both in social and the formal media, and I think rightly so.....this anyway, will not please the money bosses behind SKY.

Sky cycling is a very, very, small part of the SKY brand, maybe they will put on a brave public face and say it was all up to Sir Brailsford etc, etc, but, believe me, there will be changes later, this is a multi billion pound business based on and supportive of British interests and support of British social structures, there is no way they would be happy with the negative publicity leaving an in form Wiggins out of the tour could potentially bring. No Way.!

American parent company controlled by Aussie

American parent company controlled by Aussie

Yes, I am aware of the structures, my point was just Wiggins is associated with Britain and SKY, the British public dont care SKY also has business in Arabia for instance, they care about SKY Britain and Wiggins and I believe rightly so.

Yes, I am aware of the structures, my point was just Wiggins is associated with Britain and SKY, the British public dont care SKY also has business in Arabia for instance, they care about SKY Britain and Wiggins and I believe rightly so.

Understand what you're saying grumpy and with the Tour starting in Yorkshire it will be tough but I'm afraid SKY is another global corporation devoid of any emotion and Brailsford, Wiggo and Froome are just employees.