What do you want from your LBS

RMmtb8r

I often wonder if LBS's also discuss 'those' customers ... I mean the type that is probably a tjop even when they shop at the local grocer?

i think its safe to say every business has THOSE CUSTOMERS

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Bike shop stock all the brands.

If you stock Scott and not Santa Cruz why give a customer attitude if he go and buy it at the shop that does?

It's his money to fork out wherever he feels like.

He will again need to get lube, helmet, shoes, chains and probably services ext.

You (bikeshop) want business because you want money.

Buy being snotty you will definitely miss out if he decides to do the wheel set or shock upgrade.

Give good service and it will override a little a cheaper price somewhere else.

Edited by IH8MUD

Sounds like a AA meeting " Hallo I am a hubber and I am not a chop"

Edited by RMmtb8r

Sounds like a AA meeting " Hallo I am a hubber and I am not a chop"

i call bull when you said i am a hubber and i am not.......................

Just to be honest!!!!!! Jeez, how many times have they tried to tell me otherwise.

Competitive prices - not try and make a killing.

Flipping service - strange thing here in Durban and difficult to find.

Arrogance by the la-di-da salesman who thinks he knows everything!

Condescending attitude from the bigger bike shops here in Durban.

Taking this into account, is why I shop on-line.

Hope Solomon's makes the local bike shops catch a wake up!

I really opened a can of worms with this post, never knew so many chops, excuse me hubbers, :w00t:

were not satisfied with some LBS. Hope some of theme read the comments.

LBS = service

Bikeshop - well that is a different to different people, many will shop on price, ESPECIALLY since product A from bikeshop X is identical to product A from bikeshop Y.

I had a fun little excursion in southern KZN the other day, weeklong adventure race and I did a poo bleeding job on my one brake so it goes all squishy on a quick shakedown ride. Go to the official bikeshop who is supporting the race. [Teammate buys a new helmet because his one has too much duct tape holding it together]. Mechanic bleeds the brake infront of me, skipping about 5 of the steps i know are required. Repeat process, twice. Answer, must buy a new brake.

plan B. go to the other bikeshop. oke is laaank busy on a friday afternoon, but here is the bleedkit, if you know what you're doing - go for it. no charge. of course he wasn't busy enough not to help in the end - showed me all his tricks, and best bleed ever. charge....wouldn't take a cent. (we bought his bleedkit just incase as a compromise)

so ja, lots of sharks out there pick your LBS that treats you best!

I think service , someone that does not make you feel like a idiot when you ask stupid questions and somebody that knows what he is doing.

ps. it's aN idiot

For me it's:

1. Decent pricing (doesn't have to be the cheapest, just not twice the online price for the same thing).

2. Must be able to communicate with them reliably via email (make service bookings etc).

3. Do a decent job (goes without saying) and not replace stuff that doesn't need to be replaced.

4. When I go in there, they must be reasonably friendly in a natural way.

5. Please don't call me sir.

I must say I haven't really fully come right, so these days I'm trying to do as much as I can myself. Cheaper and better in the long run. LBS mechanics are under too much pressure to get bikes in and out the door.

Then the more complex stuff like wheels and suspension, hand over to the experts, though I'd ultimately like to learn how to do that too.

So the thew things that we want from a LBS

• Trust and Honesty
  • People that talk to you and do not think the are the next big thing in the cycling scene and talk down to you
  • A Mechanic that know what he is doing
  • Descent prices, remember they also need to keep their doors open

Then for us as customers: When you get a great price and spend few thousand bucs and at the place that suits you, don't be a chop and whip out the credit card because you need 2 more loyalty points for a new toaster, do a eft or pay cash.

I think with this everyone will be happy.

Edited by RMmtb8r

• 3 weeks later...

What do I want from an LBS? Great service!

After using "the best mechanic in Gauteng" for some time (yes you will probably all recognize his name) I became progressively unhappy with his arrogant, slack service, broken promises and, yes, shoddy workmanship. Despite spending more than 50k with him in the past year he treated me like he was doing me a favour!

So, somebody suggested I try Tribe on Main in Bryanston, which I did. Well What an awesome experience! Mechanic Riaan treated me like his most valued client. He phoned me several times to discuss what needed to be done, and then he did it. First time right. In the process he fixed up behind my famous former mechanic. Speak of the extra mile! I took a full rebuild service and my bike is as new. It all took only two days and he busted a gut to accommodate my short timeline. And the price was great. Rave for Riaan at Tribe on Main!

Been looking at a new wheelset. First LBS I went into wanted to charge me R13k for Stan's. Quick look online and they are available for half that price. That is just taking the piss.

Then looked at AC at another LBS. Decent price at R7k but the guy in the workshop can't tell me how easily and how long it will take to transfer my current components over to the new wheelset. He mentioned something about having to phone and check with the supplier. And he then couldn't give me a rough price for how much it would cost in terms of labour. Even though I can get the same wheelset locally online for about R1k cheaper, I don't mind paying the extra (over and above labour costs) if the guy I spoke to at the LBS could actually give me answers and do the job.

I am also happy to pay more for labour costs if I bring in my own components to be fitted that I may have sourced elsewhere at a good price. I completely understand the reluctance of an LBS to charge say R200 for installing new components when they don't see any profit on the item. Maybe have two prices that make it worth the LBS time. R200 labour costs if item sourced through them and R500 if not, just as an example.

• 5 months later...

I would like my local bike shop to be open from time to time!

Been to bike shop few Saturdays and they were closed, went there today and closed.....