Who else is sick at the moment?

Flu injections .... some swear by them, others are dead against them .... I have one the first week in April every year.

Other hubbers experience?

I had a guy in the office go for his first one on Thursday, he was perfectly healthy when he got it.

He is off sick today with the flu...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told "once a upon a time" that you get sick from touching stuff that sick people touch then rub your eyes...how true it is i have no idea...never researched the comment...however i wash my hands a lot when around sick people...

i also dont believe in taking medicine...unless i absolutely have to...like when i had all the pins fitted in my hand...i had no choice but to take pain killers.

I have never had a flu injection.

This year Im resorting to high doses of vitamin c, done all the multi vitamins in the past and still ended up sick.

So far I have seen off two colds that were trying to start so will see how it goes.

Started feeling sick on Friday - blocked sinuses, sore throat. 

Today - lungs are starting to burn a bit. I think the cough will manifest in the next day or so  :wacko: 

My better half finished the build on my new bike on Friday night, so decided to do a quick 8km spin on her - what a beauty. I've been trying to rest for the remainder of the weekend - tough when there is a new steed in the stable and Sani2c is soooo close that I feel the need to do some last minute training.

Thought id share my secret weapon ...haha its working for me ...no guarantee its going to work for someone else

But I've been 3 years flue less ...Since i started taking a tablet of scorbex every 2nd or 3rd day during winter i normaly start in april and it really seams to work for me ...maybe im just superstitious or something but ive been commuting thru winters and still no colds

Thought id share my secret weapon ...haha its working for me ...no guarantee its going to work for someone else

But I've been 3 years flue less ...Since i started taking a tablet of scorbex every 2nd or 3rd day during winter i normaly start in april and it really seams to work for me ...maybe im just superstitious or something but ive been commuting thru winters and still no colds

I have not seen the scorbex brand for a long time but Im taking pretty much the same thing at the moment. Those things are horrible if you dont swallow it first time and its a bit tablet!

This year Im resorting to high doses of vitamin c, done all the multi vitamins in the past and still ended up sick.

So far I have seen off two colds that were trying to start so will see how it goes.

don't worry about the vit c, and concentrate on Zinc. Vit C we get more than enough of from our diets, and it's the Zinc that really boosts the anti-flu stuffs. 

Oh - and the flu vac sometimes does bring about a dose of mild flu, but it vaccinates you against the full blown stuff. Which is NASTY. 

don't worry about the vit c, and concentrate on Zinc. Vit C we get more than enough of from our diets, and it's the Zinc that really boosts the anti-flu stuffs. 

Oh - and the flu vac sometimes does bring about a dose of mild flu, but it vaccinates you against the full blown stuff. Which is NASTY. 

I always laugh at people who say they have flu when they just have a cold.

A proper flu is just plain vicious and knocks you for an absolute 6.

I always find them at discem ....i like the after taste when swallowed whole haha but would be a bid overpowering if not swolon on the whole

I have not seen the scorbex brand for a long time but Im taking pretty much the same thing at the moment. Those things are horrible if you dont swallow it first time and its a bit tablet!

I always laugh at people who say they have flu when they just have a cold.

A proper flu is just plain vicious and knocks you for an absolute 6.

Yeah me too. Its funny how uninformed people can be. Proper flu is not as common as most think. A really bad head cold or even just the sniffles and a lot of people claim to be dying of flu. I've had some bad colds but never flu. In fact I can probably count on 1 hand the amount of friends/family that have had flu. But like you said, the real deal is rough.

As I said I've been having the injection for a few years now and have had nothing but a bit of a cold here and there. I also used to take loads of vitamins and Omega 3 and all sorts ..... I stopped a while ago.

Haven't felt any worse for not taking it ... lets see!

Also got a sore throat runny nose etc. Hopefully can get back on bike tomorrow evening , will take it easy and see how I feel ps. (mine started last Thursday) havent ridden since last Tuesday 

Edited by robsc

I had a guy in the office go for his first one on Thursday, he was perfectly healthy when he got it.

He is off sick today with the flu...

Takes 2 weeks to take effect, i.e. in the 2 week window you can still get sick.Vaccine won't make you sick, but can't protect you until effective. Also won't protect you against a strain of the flu not covered by the vaccine

Takes 2 weeks to take effect, i.e. in the 2 week window you can still get sick.Vaccine won't make you sick, but can't protect you until effective. Also won't protect you against a strain of the flu not covered by the vaccine

That is interesting, didnt know that.

So the bugger was unlucky enough to get nabbed in between.

He called in a bit earlier to say he is booked off until Friday so must be pretty serious.

landed up with some bug after the Emperors race, nose, throat all feeling weird. Rested for about 8 days, then road Tour Durban yesterday and now I am properly stuffed.

All the vitamins and immune boosters didn't help in the past 2 weeks, so I think a trip to the doctor is now on the cards.

From the start of the year we had a oke constantly coughing and clearing his throat in the office. Drove me crazy. This was while I was prepping for a 100 miler trail run at the end of Feb. I told the guy a few weeks after he started, dude, maak 'n plan. Seriously. No man, I just got viral bronchitis. I'm thinking, FML. The guy is sitting 4 meters away from me in a sealed office - and I'm trying to stay healthy. 100 miler came and went, luckily stayed healthy. Then we hear oh that dude, had (still has) TB. Nice.

I got a bottle of industrial strength hand cleaner on my desk. Clean my hands after I touch anything. Even hand cleaner my cutlery before using it.