Who else is sick at the moment?

Pulled a muscle connected to my Rotator Cuff a few weeks ago :-(

95% of the time it's not a problem - still riding ok and still working ok, but I do have to be careful raising my right arm above my head - because hurts like hell! I remember this all the time I'm awake, but damn me if I don't stretch my arms in my sleep as I wake up every morning and hurt it!

Grrr.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you are feeling a tad sick, colds and flu. Should you ride or not? I've been trying to do a bit on the indoor trainer but feel broken after 30 minutes....

So if you are feeling a tad sick, colds and flu. Should you ride or not? I've been trying to do a bit on the indoor trainer but feel broken after 30 minutes....

Been having flu since early Feb (neck up), finally went to the Dr last week he said the reason it comes and goes its because I dont rest enough. My advise is stay away from the bike until you recover fully.

Been having flu since early Feb (neck up), finally went to the Dr last week he said the reason it comes and goes its because I dont rest enough. My advise is stay away from the bike until you recover fully.

It does depend on what it is you've actually got, best rest is certainly important. As annoying as it is :-(

What the Dr told me... on Antibiotics, any fewer or pain near the lungs, and the back stay off the bike and in the bed.

Sniffles and cough light rides (recovery) or IDT.

Did a recovery 15 min beginner class Monday, And today a 8 x 20 40 (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvg9c0-iYgg) class. Would have tried to do the full class, but cramped.

Listen to your body. If you struggle up stairs, or while walking take a day off. I knew that I could push a bit harder today when I sprinted up the stairs at Centurion Eye Clinic and that after walking 5 km's between calls at clients.

So take it slow. It is the best thing you can do even though you think it is not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Been struggling flu / bronchitis & fatigue for the last 3 weeks. Finally caught up with me on last Wednesday . Now am on antibiotics and nebulizer and been banned for 10 days.

Am so gutted & pi$$ed of with myself that I didn't listen to my body earlier. Could of saved myself a fair few days instead . Listen to your body we think we bullet proof, but surprise surprise we not.

So had to miss emperors palace race this wkd and am hoping to do tour of Durban . Really don't want to miss that . But if not ready will have to.

When you sick or run down you have to listen .

Shingles. Still driving me crazy after 4 weeks and 4 weeks off the bike. No lasting pain relief.  :cursing:

Oh man that sucks!

I got it a few weeks back. 

Got home after a ride in the bush and at first thought some bug must've dropped into my shirt and munched on my skin. Had a look later and saw the circular patterns and little bumps forming.

My wife immediately said "that's shingles" so straight to the doctor the next day and he confirmed her spot diagnoses. 

Prescribed some anti-viral drugs I had to take every 5 hours for 10 days and it was gone within 7 days... 

Oh man that sucks!

I got it a few weeks back.

Got home after a ride in the bush and at first thought some bug must've dropped into my shirt and munched on my skin. Had a look later and saw the circular patterns and little bumps forming.

My wife immediately said "that's shingles" so straight to the doctor the next day and he confirmed her spot diagnoses.

Prescribed some anti-viral drugs I had to take every 5 hours for 10 days and it was gone within 7 days...

Also had shingles once combined with glandular fever at the same time. Thought I had an insect bite but then doctor confirmed shingles and blood test confirmed glandular fever. Seem to remember it being a bit sore and very itchy and feeling a bit tired.

Been struggling flu / bronchitis & fatigue for the last 3 weeks. Finally caught up with me on last Wednesday . Now am on antibiotics and nebulizer and been banned for 10 days.

Am so gutted & pi$$ed of with myself that I didn't listen to my body earlier. Could of saved myself a fair few days instead . Listen to your body we think we bullet proof, but surprise surprise we not.

So had to miss emperors palace race this wkd and am hoping to do tour of Durban . Really don't want to miss that . But if not ready will have to.

When you sick or run down you have to listen .

I had an almost identical year last year with flu and Bronchitis... with two doses of Antibiotics and no end in site, plan was to go for a 3rd bunch of pills!

Decided to go against what I though was logical and give homeopathy a go...No I'm not preaching Homeopathy, so don't worry. Fortunately the doc is a sportsman and understands that cycling is important to my lifestyle! He's an runner with next to no FAT, so I trust he's advice. I managed to heal a lot slower than I would have liked, but eventually recovered.

So what I'm doing different this year???

- Ramping my training slower!

- Having a Beet cocktail as often as I can stomach it in the mornings

- On Homeopathy "stuff" to try keep my immune system stronger to resist the training stress...

- Eat as healthy and my time can manage.

So far it is working. Long may it last.

Quote a few years ago, for a very specific reason, I changed my eating habits. It was not for any weight reasons as it's never been an issue.

I am no fanatic at all but generally still eat reasonably healthy.

It really does seem to help the immune system as I don't really get colds and flu and yet before I would always get.

been looking forward to this weekend...havent been sick in a long time.

had a leka ride on the weekend...swim in the sea...felt good...woke up yesterday morning feeling a bit *** and it is just getting worse...today busy doing the material list for site it got to a point where i had to leave... just couldnt focus...time for a bottle of vicks and an early night :(

I had an almost identical year last year with flu and Bronchitis... with two doses of Antibiotics and no end in site, plan was to go for a 3rd bunch of pills!

Decided to go against what I though was logical and give homeopathy a go...No I'm not preaching Homeopathy, so don't worry. Fortunately the doc is a sportsman and understands that cycling is important to my lifestyle! He's an runner with next to no FAT, so I trust he's advice. I managed to heal a lot slower than I would have liked, but eventually recovered.

So what I'm doing different this year???

- Ramping my training slower!

- Having a Beet cocktail as often as I can stomach it in the mornings

- On Homeopathy "stuff" to try keep my immune system stronger to resist the training stress...

- Eat as healthy and my time can manage.

So far it is working. Long may it last.

+1 for going natural remedies. Last year was on my second round of anti-biotics for bronchitis and still getting no better. So I went to a naturopath friend of mine, got some remedies (mustard seed foot bath to name one) Cleared the infection with no extra anti-biotics. Took a bit longer to get better than taking loads of drugs but, for me, is the way to go.

I now have this bugger of the flu but have gone the same route and am hoping to get back on the bike this weekend. Was at the doc today to get a sick note for work, so far I have kept a chest and any other infections at bay. Resting heartrate is still 80bpm so no exercise for a few days

Oh, and the treatments are way cheaper if you don't have medical aid

Bleddy shingles  :cursing:  It caught me - I had a bit of pain then blisters and went to the doc, got the anti viral stuff to take for about a week and was truly ok, just a bit uncomfortable.  But after the blisters it got sore, stabbing pain and never let up. Back to the doc for the list; nerve pain Lyrica, Stil Pain general pain and some anti depressant that also helps. None helped me much although still swallowing them.  Tried physio and novocaine gel the the natural cures; cayenne pepper, tumeric, ginger, special herb oil ( :ph34r: ) etc etc without much relief.  I will just have to wear it out I guess.