exxxxxxxxxxtra wiiiiiiiide bars

sadamhussein

Riding a 780mm on the trail bike now, after being on a set of 750mm bars and am loving the bike so much more.

There are many factors that contribute to what bar width works for you as a rider.

Personally I have fairly wide shoulders and for the first time now so the bars feel just right.

RE the control comment, control does not necessarily mean how quickly you can change direction by turning your handle bars ...... control also comes from the added leverage over right terrain and when climbing or the saddle. A wider bar however should in most cases be used in conjuction with a shorter stem, this in turn again sharpens up your steering.

Anyway. ........One should be steering from the hips mostly with deft or rather slight turns on the bars at speed. ...slow really tight turns are obviously a different ball game, but given that you are moving slowly you are in no real deficit with a wider bar.

RE the comment of back in the day guys were running really narrow bars....go take a look at how the bikes geometry and setup had changed since then. They had very long stems and shorter top tubes. Those long stems dampened the twitchy nature of a narrow bar and bike with a steep angle.

The bars are just a component of a system that has to work together to make for a properly setup bike.

It would be interesting to see what width bars the xco boys are running. I am sure the more marathon / gravel Road orientated riders are using more narrow bars vs the trail riders.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, ideally you'd size up your bars to stem length and slightly wider (approx 10cm) than the bone point (not sure of the correct term) in your shoulders.

Being average build and height I'm comfortable with 720-730mm myself, find it a good balance between control and clearance.

For the majority of us, looking at the setup that world circuit pros use is just silly, way different scenario altogether.

So OP what is the right width for a handlebar seeing you seem to know so much about width?

Why did you open your post with a question. You are'nt going to change.

So all the top riders must be wrong.

I "hear" it's less effort and better balance.

I suppose there is not right or wrong . I like them short , very short . Sometimes to short and then I cannot fit all my gadgets on the bar . Never measured them but first thing on new bike the pipe cutter comes out .

I had the same questions about 3 months back...

I read and heard all this talk. I spent a measly R200 on Rapidè bars. 720mm wide and mounted it to my SS. I must say this bike has gone from fun to unbelievably fun. I also planned on cutting them initially but nah 720mm seems fine for me. I didn't change my stem since upgrading from 600 to 720, and still enjoying the bars...

To me the proof was in the pudding, the R200 plunge was well worth it. Speak to Kiwi, to get yourself some. Stop looking at what pro's do and don't. Try it for yourself make your opinion.

I'm running a 780mm bar with a short stem on my bike and the bike is far more controllable and feels much more stable.

I have 730mm on my 29er and 100mm stem.

I can vouch for the fact that some of the gates at Joberg2C were 731mm wide. I had a few moments when it felt that both ends of my bars touched the gate uprights.

I have a 600mm bar and i bought myself 780mm (last week) with intention of cutting a bit shorter but going wider as my shoulders isn't that narrow but i have discovered my cables + hoses are too short so i cannot fit the wider bar until i replace hoses, but now over it so if anyone wants a funn 780mm bar give me a shout!

On my 26er I went from 660mm with a 100mm stem to 710mm with a 70mm stem. Felt like I bought a new bike that just worked, much more stable and responsive, and maybe anecdotal but this also stopped the front wheel washouts I kept having, much more feedback and fine control. So for me it makes sense

I have a 600mm bar and i bought myself 780mm (last week) with intention of cutting a bit shorter but going wider as my shoulders isn't that narrow but i have discovered my cables + hoses are too short so i cannot fit the wider bar until i replace hoses, but now over it so if anyone wants a funn 780mm bar give me a shout!

What colour and how much?