Cycling Lanes are coming to Johannesburg

Catatonic_Joe

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked at the cycle lanes in Braamfontein and I don"t know if this is standard to put the lane between the parked cars and the kerb.

This will certainly limit the cycle speed due to the width and the possibility of a passenger side door that can be opened infront of you with nowhere to swerve.

Also notice that enterprising car owners use the lane now to park a double row of cars.

Can't they put up poles to stop the cars from being able to ride in the lane? Little more expensive but would make sense. If you are going to do it, may as well do it properly.

Can't they put up poles to stop the cars from being able to ride in the lane? Little more expensive but would make sense. If you are going to do it, may as well do it properly.

sorry, the country you have selected is incorrect, please redail carefully.

Looked at the cycle lanes in Braamfontein and I don"t know if this is standard to put the lane between the parked cars and the kerb.

This will certainly limit the cycle speed due to the width and the possibility of a passenger side door that can be opened infront of you with nowhere to swerve.

Also notice that enterprising car owners use the lane now to park a double row of cars.

Please post pictures

The introduction of the lane has led to a number of problems for drivers, including traffic congestion. The demarcation of the lane as a cycle-only space means that there are now only two lanes for drivers (instead of the previous three) and if you want to go into Wits University, the University Corner parking lot or turn left onto Bertha Road, you will be stopping traffic as you wait to turn safely.

http://witsvuvuzela.com/2014/07/16/confusion-about-new-cycle-lane-in-braamfontein/

post-33015-0-50237500-1406030697_thumb.jpg

post-33015-0-45646600-1406030705_thumb.jpg

Where's that youtube video of that guy in England I think (or US?) that went to ride in the cycle lanes, but didn't swerve out on purpose and crashed so many times due to cars, pedestrians and other obstacles in the cycle paths? Funny!!

How much trouble would you get into for chainsawing off the back of those cars?

Yet to see a cyclist using the lanes other than the freedom ride. When is come to work by bike day?

• 1 month later...

I think the City is over complicating the implementation of cycle lanes. I see that they are still working on the cycle lanes in Braamfontein and it seems that the lanes are intended to seperate the cyclist from the motorists and in places the lane are now directed onto the side walks.

Won't it be more practical to keep the cyclists and motorists integrated with implementing the 1.5m rule,road signage and just proper law enforcement. Cyclist need to be safe on all roads not just specific lanes.

On my weekend rides I observe the weekly carnage on Ontdekkers and Hendrik Potgieter with the number of lamp posts,traffic lights,crash barriers and street signs that was knocked over and I don't think half the culprits involved in these accidents are brought to book or are required to pay for the damages to the city infrastructure.

Daily I see JMPD cars parking double infront of Pick and Pay to buy food and obstructing the peak hour traffic. There is always 3 to 4 officers standing at the intersection of Berta and Jorisson but they turn a blind eye to obvious transgressions of traffic from far left lane turning right towards the Mandela bridge.

My 2c

Its all a good idea but at the moment its pointless.

as Aluman said, if the people who are suppose to enforce the law don't even abide by it then who is going to enforce it.

people drive however they want because they know there is no punishment.

This morning I saw a police van squeeze through an intersection at the end of their traffic light, the light was clearly red before they entered, to make it better he had his cell in his hand.

Last week a taxi jumped a red infront of a police van and they did nothing.

Unfortunately the pigs are doing there jobs just for the salary, not to actually enforce the law.

They are only at accidents because they have to be, then they all just sit around and chat.

edit, I nearly got arrested for riding the wrong way down a one way but they don't even lift a finger to the motorists who break laws every second.

Edited by Peach.

Personally think the initiative is fantastic, not that I'll ever ride them, but unfortunately a bit of education needs to come hand in hand otherwise in a couple of months there will be more skid marks than green paint...

Personally think the initiative is fantastic, not that I'll ever ride them, but unfortunately a bit of education needs to come hand in hand otherwise in a couple of months there will be more skid marks than green paint...

+1 on that whole comment. You spot on. Edited by NRS182

• 5 weeks later...

For a while cycling on Hendrik Potgieter was not bad as it seemed that drivers stayed out of the yellow line. On my Sunday ride found that in some sections the yellow line is now invisible and dispite the popularity as a cycling route you see no markers or signage to inform or warn drivers.

Is it a perfect solution? No. Is it a positive step in the right direction? Most definitely.

40% of the task is to get the political will to introduce safety measures such as this. 40% is then actually implementing those measures. And 20% to then get them right.

Congrats to the municipality for the 80% effort so far. I, for one, am grateful.